1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Why is iPad-ONLY sub more expensive than print-mag sub?

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by David_gu1, Nov 20, 2012.

1. David_gu1

David_gu1 Well-Known Member

Hi

I have been waiting for an iPad-only subscription for a while (to save some trees....), only to find out that buying the print magazine subcription is cheaper AND you get the ipad version thrown in for free!!

The ipad-only subscription costs £8.99 per month (£26.97 per quarter)
    The print (+ipad) subscription costs £19.99 per quarter.

Source: AP website, click on the Subscribe link on the top menu

No paper magazine, hence no printing costs, why isn't the ipad-only subscription cheaper than the print mag subscription?

thx

David

2. NosamLuap

NosamLuap Rebmem Roines

The zinio (cross platform electronic edition) is 66.66+ vat, so £80ish for a year, so whilst not cheaper it's pretty much the same as the printed version.

Still stupid, imho, as it should be cheaper.

3. spangler

spangler Well-Known Member

Because publishers like their snouts in the trough like every other business concern.

Andrew

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I would suspect that if you replace "publishers" with "Apple" you'll have the true reason... they DO like getting their cut.

5. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Like with eBooks (Kindle, etc.), VAT is required to be added to non-print subs - something that I have asked Which? magazine to investigate.

Printed matter is not subject to VAT.

6. Lurcio53

Lurcio53 New Member

Personally, and call me a technophobe it you like, that the I-pad part of the Print subscription is free at all, my quarterly subscription just went up by £10 and I don't even want to have an I-pad so where is the fairness in that, Why should I have to pay for something I will never use and didn't ask for - all I want is my print copy every week!

7. David_gu1

David_gu1 Well-Known Member

I agree with you, why don't they just split them up, ie print-only or ipad-only? Then you only pay for what you want.

I'd still expect the ipad subscription to be cheaper though!!

8. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I used to have subscriptions for several magazines (not all photography). I've gradually stopped them as I realised that it was only about one in two or three issues that I'd have actually bought individually. Now I have a quick browse at the shop and only buy if there's anything relevant for me. Most often there isn't. :(

9. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Hi I would assume that the annual subs price is an error. It should be £79.99 - see here -. As for other options I do not know. I will investigate with the subs dept. tomorrow.