1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why all the hate for the old 7d??

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by pixelpuffin, Aug 2, 2018.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Recently updated the firmware on both my 7d's - reason being the latest arrival came with the pretty astounding 18-135 STM. I quickly realised the camera firmware was missing the lens profile, so updated both.

After which, I began searching to read up on the benefits of the newer firmware. However, the amount of hatred and loathing that seems to be everywhere has left me gob smacked.
    I actually like the 7d. I'm no camera buff yet realise the difference between the 7d files and those from the old 5d I had.

Why all the hatred ? Yeah it's noisy but these days I'm grateful for a sharp picture more than anything else.

To read the comments on other sites, one could be forgiven in thinking the 7d is a useless piece of junk - not my views at all.

Why is it always compared to FF cameras? It seems grossly unfair

2. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Many people make the mistake of thinking, that their opinions are worth reading. I've not used a 7d - I have a 60D, and it does all I want.

3. pixelpuffin

Hi John
    That's s logical answer. Your 60d usually got mentioned along with the 7d! I don't know anything about the 60d but if it fits your bill then what more can you ask.
    I fully accept that progress normally supersedes previous models and that many hanker after the newer technology . But the amount of loathing aimed at the 7d (and the 60d) seems silly. Time and time again I read it's crap compared to the 5dc and 5diii/iv......,I sincerely hope it is considering those cameras represent the very pinicle of what canon is capable off.
    I actually like the 7d, it's the only crop I've ever used so my views don't really count for much.

John Farrell likes this.
  4. John Farrell

I have a 400mm x 260mm print, taken from an image on the 60d, using the 55 - 250mm IS lens, at almost full extension. IMG_1368.JPG

5. pixelpuffin

The 55-250 is pretty impressive I agree.
    I bought the 10-18, 18-55 & 55-250 trio used last year. But sold them shortly afterwards (got all my money back) absolutely nothing wrong with the lenses, I just wanted to see what they were like. The 55-250 really threw me as did the other 2. The extreme 10-18 is incredible for its price point. I liked them all, but I'm trying to move away from hoarding gear, so after trying out I sold them. I'm pretty smitten with the 18-135mm, so much so I'm seriously thinking of selling the 100L I bought with Jessops 0% 2yr finance. Nice lens I suppose just doesn't float my boat, I've used it once! Whereas the 18-135 hasn't come off the 2nd 7d since it arrived. I really do like it. Ticks all the boxes for me and that's what's important is it not?

John Farrell likes this.
  6. John Farrell

I bought a 17 - 50 f2.8 Tamron, with the camera - I used the money from selling my bike, and the 60d price was low - the 70d was about to be released. Last year I added the 10 - 18 Canon lens.

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how anyone can "hate and loathe" a camera. As far as I remember the 7D was a remarkable development for its time. Technology improves. Perhaps someone buying a 7D today with expectations built on more modern cameras would be disappointed but that's as strong an emotion as I'd expect.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

A lot of sites take a very binary view of cameras; if it's not the absolute latest and greatest, it's worthless.
    The 7D was the first camera to use Canon's 18MP sensor that was a huge step forward st the time and has proved to be so reliable that it's still in use in the EOS 4000D 9 years on. Firmware v 2.0 introduced lots of new functionality and the camera was terrific package. But that was 9 years ago, and although it's as capable as ever, things have moved on. The 7D II outperformed it in every area, particularly noise, focusing and shooting speed, and now that in turn is beginning to look a bit old. The 5D IV outperforms it in every area except shooting speed, so full frame has become a genuine contender to these APS-C sports cameras at a level below the 1 series.
    But who cares what some of these people say? If you're happy with the results, the camera is good enough, something the measurebators just don't understand.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  9. John Farrell

I looked at full frame, when I bought the 60d, but couldn't justify it. If I need more megapixels than my Canon supplies, I'll buy a film and put it through one of my film cameras. I'm not concerned about the "improved" technology in later cameras - I don't want GPS, or wireless connections, and I don't take video.

10. pixelpuffin

In all honesty the only thing I really miss about my old 5d is the gloriously large viewfinder....I really do miss that.
    Yes the pictures I took of my family do look nicer due to the isolating DOF. Otherwise the 7d gives me all I could ask for and sometimes more besides.
    For what I need i.e a relatively cheap way to record my sons childhood in all weathers at often silly focal lengths it delivers in heaps and I'm grateful for it.
    I never shot raw in my life, I use only win10 supplied software for editing my photos and I'm certain by other's standards my pictures are horrific, but the important thing is....they all mean something to me.

11. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Show me a camera and I'll show you people who hate it and post about it on the Internet.

Also, replace camera with any piece of technology.

It's not the camera, it's the people.

Andrew Flannigan and Roger Hicks like this.
  12. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Tony,

Also, on the Internet, the word "hate" is thrown about with considerable abandon. Many use it to mean what some of us might call "mild dislike" or even "indifference".

Cheers,

R.

13. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Well, the on thing I have have agents the 7D is that always when I use one I rember how much I want one... The thing is that hater gonna hate and the fact that there is a newer version makes it easy.