1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's thinking about getting the a900 then?

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Roger_Provins, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

I see, he said

It's probably the first mention of distortion I've read on the 5D, his quote on AF is correct to a point, but it uses another method to AF. He was responding to a quote that 'it's better than a 100k pro video camera'.

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Okay ... thanks. well I know nothing about video but was asked by a neighbour, who is interested in this camera, if I knew much about the Canon 5D MkII. So I dug around on the net for him and this turned up. I'll pass on your comments :)

3. TallPaul

TallPaul Well-Known Member

I was really set on one, but two things happened. The first was the small number of shares my American employer gave me previously tumbled to 1/4 of their previous value. The second was that I handled one, tried it with my KM 28-75/2.8 and the Zeiss 24-70 and the Zeiss was just :D Therefore the cost went up a lot, as I am convinced the best deal is a bundle with the A900 and Zeiss together.

Also, reality check says you can currently buy THREE A700's for the price of a single A900 at the moment!

Anyone considering the plunge should read this good article:

Do you really need an Alpha A900? (PhotoClub Alpha article)

4. Roger_Provins

I'll wait and get the 24-105 SSM f4 G with it (when it finally gets released).

Yes, read DK's article a few days ago ... but still interested :)

5. TallPaul

TallPaul Well-Known Member

I can't believe Sony delayed that lens, at the moment their is no real kit lens for the A900, and that lens is the perfect cost/performance match. The Zeiss 2.8 is too expensive to be a kit lens, and apart from that it weights 1Kg+ (2.2 pounds in old money) and is not a logical choice for your holiday snaps!

No rumours, I can't see a stealth announcement, I guess we are waiting for PMA at the earliest now.

6. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

I've had rather a difficult day, difficult because I don't like spending money :( but at last I've bought an a900 :)

At the risk of sounding weird I've also bought the 70-300G having read Rogers eulogy. The thing is I couldn't bring myself to buy more than one lens and I'm off to Kenya so it seemed a good safari lens. My ever understanding wife actually pressed me to buy the camera and lens so I guess that's Christmas and birthday dealt with for a few years. The news that Sony is putting up prices to compensate for the rising Yen and falling £ made it seem slightly more sensible.

The battery is now charging, UV filter mounted (just to upset a few people who can afford the risk of front element damage) so I'll report back in the new year. :D

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Enjoy it - it looks like a wonderful camera to me. Even with a UV filter on. :cool: ;)

(BTW, what's your wife after? :D)

8. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

HeHe...........theres always a catch is`nt there......... :D

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well, that's my experience. ;)

10. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I love spending money...

...just wish it could be someone elses..... :D

11. Roger_Provins

... I look forward to your report and the photos from Kenya :)

I'm very envious /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

12. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

She's come clean. Our daughter, son-in-law and new grand-daughter are living there. She hopes the camera will induce me to make more visits! I can't complain about that can I?

13. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Bit late on this one, yes there is some distortion from fast panning (also known as jello-cam). It's caused by the CMOS sensor reading from right to left IIRC.

There's a pretty extreme example here (this from a Nikon D90, which has the problem to a larger extent I understand).

Panning slower is the obvious cure, but whether a steadicam would help with it, as suggested by a DPR poster, who knows.