1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's thinking about getting the a900 then?

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Roger_Provins, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I've been scouring the net for the best a900 prices and they seem to be falling slowly bit by bit. Best so far (actually in stock) are around the £1750 point. I'll wait a bit longer yet :)

2. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Well since it was announced, I have been seriously contemplating going for it, although I had also been considering the 700.
    Like you I think I'll wait, well I think I'll wait until I have some personal issues resolved and finalised next year, and if there are enough of my savings left I might just 'reward' myself :). Mind if there's not enough for the 900 but enough for the 70 - 200 f/2.8 GD SSM then I'll probably get that :D

3. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

4. Roger_Provins

Thanks Fen but they never seem to actually find the cheapest for Sony stuff ... maybe okay for Canon and Nikon. They only appear to show certain dealers so I do wonder if the are a sponsored site in disguise?

5. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

As my daughter will be getting married next year, any camera/lens purchase will have to wait. However, if I see the Sigma F2.8 24-70mm at a good price, might buy that.

6. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Having just got the 70-200 f2.8 G lens, the A900 is way out of my range. Am seriously thinking about a 2nd A700 body though.

7. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

Me............ :)

or another A700 :D

8. T_Sargeant

T_Sargeant Well-Known Member

Have to say that although I'm not seriously thinking of getting one (too much £ for a poor student!) I had a go with one today at work and the feel of it is absolutely lovely! Very reasuring solid feel...

9. Roger_Provins

The general consensus seems to be that it's a a700 on steroids. Twice the mega pixels, two processors, big viewfinder etc. but very similar size, layout and controls. Would you agree?

10. T_Sargeant

T_Sargeant Well-Known Member

Honestly to me it feels like a different beast entirely, yes there are very strong similarities to the 700, but the moment you get it in your hands it just feels so perfect. There's just something about the size, weight, solidity and controls that's just quite beautiful. I think the last camera I thought that about was my EOS 3, and I think the A900 may even beat that!

If they made a camera with all the internals of the A700 but built like the A900, I'd buy it in a hearbeat.

11. Roger_Provins

Thanks for that Tom ... very useful.

As I have a a700 I don't need the a900 ... the process to convince myself that actually I *do* has already started ... and usually takes about a week to complete :)

12. Roger_Provins

... £1590.80 HERE.

13. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Hmm, none in stock though and can't spell camera! [​IMG]

14. Roger_Provins

I'll give them a phone next week - seems like they might just supply to order.

15. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

I've been interested in the a900 for the best part of a year and now, like buses, two "affordable" full frames come along. I would find the 24mm shift on the 5D useful and the video is interesting. However, although I think the video is likely to be up to scratch I've had a long aversion to multi function devices from music centres as opposed to component hi fi to mfds rather than separate scanners and printers. However, it is the super steady shot that really attracts me and having had it in an A2 for years I can't imagine life without it. The comments posted here really convince me.

However, going from a bridge to an SLR, which I've been putting off waiting for the a900, is going to be expensive as the only legacy item is a flashgun. Worse I'll want Zeiss or G lenses (I'm like that). I'll need the CZ 24-70 and the G 70-300 straight away. I don't shoot much with long lenses but have a trip to Kenya over Christmas so following someone's excellent advice on the forums I'm looking at the cost of kit compared with the cost of the trip and making sure the memories survive. Later I'll need the CZ 16-35 and perhaps the 16mm fisheye (I do find the fisheye on my OM2 very useful for business so it is a genuine need.)

All in all it's a big investment particularly as my pocket money lost so much last week - but its up 5% this morning. :D

16. Roger_Provins

Apparently no autofocus and fast panning gives heavy distortion ... <link>

... glad the funds are up this morning ... but still a huge investment!

17. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

I just got the A700 and I am still considering getting the A900 just need to decided which bank to rob first. :D
    But seriously, I want an A900 but I'll wait till next year. FF has never been so affordable with the D700,5D and A900 in the market, I think we can expect competition to be fierce leading to price drops. In the meantime I'll save for it.

18. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

I started to feel I was getting old following the link but as you were just saying what I wanted to hear I wasn't too worried to follow it to the end. :)

19. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Where does it mention that?

Someone points to a video of the d90 (which does wobble a bit, not as bad as that video though). The 5D MkII doesn't have normal AF, it uses contrast to AV.

20. Roger_Provins

I think "cinder" was the poster ...