1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's on instagram then?

Discussion in 'Smartphone photography' started by madjeff, Oct 13, 2013.

1. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Really?

m

2. George W Johnson

George W Johnson Well-Known Member

Two reasons I will never touch "Insta-scum".

1) The fact that anything you give Instragram is instantly theirs and you surrender ALL copyright and ownership of any image. Hmm, sounds great, where do I sign away all my rights! Please take my valuable work for free and give me nothing in return!

2) If I want to see awful, blurry, high-grain sepia toned images of VM campers, wonky landscapes and pictures of 14 years old girl's cats I'll go to Pinterest or Tumblr! Add to that the fact that someone who's had a phone 3 months uploads a picture of their cat ( with obligatory sepia toning filter of course! ) and gets 6 billions hits, accompanied by comments like, "Wow! You're such a great photograher man! You should turn pro!". * cue much shaking of head *

( Safe to say I am not a fan! )

3. madjeff

madjeff Well-Known Member

You have obviously only taken a very superficial look at instagram....of course there's millions of pictures of people's feet, coffee cups, aeroplane wings etc but if you dig a bit deeper then you'll find some interesting stuff from people with talent. I wouldn't want my serious work to be used freely without my permission and without a fee either, but I don't post that on instagram, it's about fun and visual communication with others, not a showcase for your professional work.If anybody wants to filch my iphone pictures, good luck to them!...There is a wealth of apps out there that allow you to be creative in a multitude of ways and not just to reproduce the yellowed tones of a 1970 Truprint! If If you spend a lot of time travelling and on public transport like I do, then taking and editing pictures on your iphone is a lot more creative a way to spend your time than playing Angry Birds or reading bloody Metro!

4. madjeff

Yes really! and the obsession with equipment fills pages and pages of your magazine and others, never mind the letters page...Amateur Photographer has barely embraced the possibility that folks might take a picture with anything other than a "proper" camera...possibly because it would freak out some of the old codgers and possibly because they don't want to upset the advertisers who keep the boat afloat with their ads for the latest expensive equipment....

5. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Oh bugga! I take snapshots as well as photographs. :D

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Was it worth the effort of learning how to send a text message if you have only used the facility twice? I have never sent a text message and don't intend to send one. I do use a mobile for outgoing messages but rarely receive them because my mobile is normally switched off. It is switched off for two reasons.
    1. It makes calls by itself from my pocket if it is on.
    2. I am not at anyone's beck and call.
    I own and use a vintage phone but wonder how long the networks will support it. It's a Nokia 3330e I think but the name is getting a bit feint.

7. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Best image-editing apps

Best smartphone photo shooting apps for iOS and Android

Sony Xperia Z1 reviewed in issue dated 12 Oct 13.

BTW Editorial and advertising are two separate entities, I believe that there was a letter published recently explaining this, again :)

m

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I think you should get off your high horse and follow Mark's link... ;)

I don't use Instagram - I was starting to get into it when they instituted their copyright grab, so closed my account in disgust. I believe they backtracked on it after that, but to be honest, I couldn't be bothered to go through the rigmarole of signing up again. I do use my phone occasionally for pictures, but in general, I prefer to use other photographic tools. I actually used a phonecam more when all I had was VGA standard, as that produced wonderful impressionist stuff - modern phonecams are just too good for that.

Well yes, but also largely no; each format does impose it's own bounds, and there are advantages and disadvantages to each type of camera - what you use isn't irrelevant, but very important as part of the creative process. True in the sense that you can produce great images with any type of camera, but you can't produce the same great images with any type of camera.

9. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

^^^ WHS

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  10. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

OPs apparent inability to read what's posted (and trotting out their own dogma, regardless), there is some elitist tosh being spouted on this thread. :p

11. madjeff

Thank you!...yes, we all take snapshots as well as "photographs"..instagram allows you to post your crappy snaps if that's your choosing but also to post things you may have put a little thought into...Like I say...it's what you make of it....I made my original post just to reach out to any people here who might also be using instagram creatively, so we could establish contact. All I've been met with is negativity and hostility from people who have a very narrow definition of what constitutes photography. I don't post here often, had hoped the response might have been a bit more positive and friendly.

12. George W Johnson

George W Johnson Well-Known Member

Yes there is a positive side, I will admit that. I am the first to equate Instagram with The Kodak Fiends of old. Lots of people having a great time, sharing snapshots and actually enjoying photography without any pressure to be creative or worry about the stuff the rest of us, who take it seriously, worry about.

However as someone who's interested in creativity and ensuring that my creativity and my rights are respected, I don't like it. In 50 years time Instragram will be a huge warehouse of snapshot images, billions of snapshots in time that help to capture humanity at it's most open. The downside is that who will own all those orphaned images? They will be worth billions and billions for pure historical research alone and that's worrying that only one entity will have control over that huge treasure trove of humanity's history and I can't imagine they will relinquish control very easily.

13. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

Yep - I use instagram a lot. It's great fun. And also, as in using film, restricting yourself to a less perfect medium is both enjoyable and educational

You can't atr AP with an elitist brush though as i got a place in the forum comp with an instagram pic :p

I'm philwint on there and i think you can see my "snaps" here

http://followgram.me/philwint

I'm generally of the opinion that it's the photographer that make the picture, not the cmera. So if one can't take a decent pic with a camera phone I doubt that using a dslr will give any better pictures :)

14. madjeff

I've seen plenty of rubbish pictures taken with some of the most sophisticated and expensive equipment, of course, iphones have a limited capability but the point is...you can still take an interesting and creative picture, with a little effort and, if it's only being viewed on an iphone or ipad then the resolution etc isn't overly important...As for rights issues...as I said earlier, if you want to showcase your professional work, don't put it on instagram!...Instagram is not a showcase for your mostly highly valued works but a place to post stuff that may or may not interest others and a way of establishing a visual dialog with them. I'm amazed at the negativity here...I'm not suggesting we all sell our lovely cameras and lenses and adopt the iphone as our sole means of taking a picture...I was just hoping some people here might want to engage with me in the sociable pursuit of exchanging some photos and ideas on instagram.

15. madjeff

At last, some support!...Thank you Phil, it is possible to be a serious photographer and also use an iphone and instagram...I'm finding myself having to defend the whole deal from some people with a rather narrow perspective....where can I find you on IG?...I'm @jeffslade, feel free to add me if you choose, always happy to make new friends on instagram....oh, just seen your link, thanks!

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I don't think you read a word of what I said, or followed my link...

17. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

The thing about instagram is you have to be careful you are not turd polishing with the filter set.

BYT a carefully exposed and composed image with an appropriate filter (or none) is just as valid photographically as one taken with your serious camera.

Or of course they make handy record "snaps" when you don't have your main camera to hand, or when you want to quickly send a snap via the wonders of t'internet.

Like this one of my first front cover on a major mag a few years ago :p

[​IMG]

and read up, in @philwint and i should add #nofilter to that one above lol

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Thought about it but lost interest when Facebook got involved. Plus the camera on my phone is pretty useless. If I want to go lo-fi I use my Holga or a pinhole.

Whilst I heartily approve of mobile phone photography my one gripe is that it can be very same-y. The pictures you linked to are a case in point - lots of trees processed in a similar manner (no offence intended). I do like your shot "the office" though - a great example of seeing something which is often missed. :)

19. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Time for a repost of this........

[video=youtube;FaTh80d1la8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaTh80d1la8[/video]

20. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I wrote -
    You wrote
    Obviously you only read one or two lines and assume the rest of the post is irrelevant.

We'll try not to confuse you too much with facts, it's obvious your mind is made up.