1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's on instagram then?

Discussion in 'Smartphone photography' started by madjeff, Oct 13, 2013.

1. madjeff

madjeff Well-Known Member

Ok, so when your'e not all s******* around with your Leicas, I bet some of you bang off the odd shot on your iPhone...anybody here post on instagram?...Find me @jeffslade, add me and I will return the favour...Hey, it's a bit crap, but it's fun!

2. madjeff

I like the way my message has been censored!...S******s!

3. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

No iphone, no istagram, no twitter . . . . and from way back, no bebo, no myspace.

Why? No time, too busy taking photographs :)

Alan.

4. madjeff

Well, instagram is about taking pictures too..they may be small and fairly low res but you can still be creative...You have a computer and time to spend on these boards so you're not totally stuck in the 19th century!

5. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

No Instagram here either- don't have an i-phone and don't even use the camera on my smart phone much (Come to think of it I don't use the phone very much either- my main use of it is as a Kindle reader)

6. madjeff

Well this is turning out to be a dead loss!...you luddites!

7. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

No, don't see the point! Why take a low res photo when you can take high res one :confused:

Actually I've been in the 19th century quite a lot recently,
    just ordered Charles Marville: Photographer of Paris :)

Alan.

8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I use film...is that luddite enough? What's a mobile phone by the way:confused:

9. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I got invited onto Facebook via a relative, but regretted it. (Mostly condensed inane twaddle) ... seen Twitter, (That's even more truncated twaddle, so worse!) ... Texting (Useful for receiving messages, but think I've only sent 2 texts in a decade!)
    E-mail's they're totally different, far, far more useful!
    What's wrong with conversing on a phone? ... and preferably a land-line? As for Instagrams, well it looks to me if it's more about the status of trying to getting as many people to see/like what you post.
    Bah! Humbug! Just off to my Hermit cave.

10. madjeff

I take quality high resolution pictures too but phone pictures today are actually not all that bad and if you edit your pictures creatively with the multitude of apps out there, then it is possible to create something quite wonderful. The great thing about a smartphone is that it's so small and you invariably have it with you and used skilfully you can make some marvellous images in seconds that you couldn't easily duplicate with any other kind of camera...add to that the possibility to share them instantaneously with a vast audience and receive immediate responses to them...There's more than one way to make a picture, it's the skill of the photographer to make a captivating image whatever equipment they use...there's a lot people can learn from using a camera phone too..mostly, they have a lens of fixed focal length..unlike compact digital cameras and kit DSLRs which invariably come with a zoom...You learn to frame and compose better this way.

Here's some of my iphone stuff...you would be surprised how decent a print you can turn out from them too...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/madjeff/sets/72157628221738137/

11. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

I got an iPhone but no Instagram... Sorry. I got to many original 70's pictures looking like crap already ;)

12. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

why not use manual focus primes on your dslr/csc...that teaches you discipline

13. madjeff

Oh...and here's a bunch of stuff I did with my old iphone 3gs..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/madjeff/sets/72157624445114672/

admittedly low res but I've still made some passable prints from them...Photography is all about making an interesting image not about having the finest equipment...if you have a tiny camera in your pocket in the shape of a phone, then you're always prepared. People are often too dismissive of phone photography...it's catching up quickly and the creative possibilities are boundless...

14. madjeff

Yes, great if you have one and are prepared to lug it around all the time...

15. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

We are photographers on this forum not snappers.

My sig says it for me, I've been given 3 mobile phones over the years, never use them. I'd hardly term myself a Luddite, I was working on analogue computers from 1961 and digital ones since the late 70s.

I'm a grown up now so I don't need television either, gave them up about 10 years ago or more. At one time I used to watch TV occasionally to keep SWMBO quiet. [​IMG]

16. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

aah well that's discipline...;)

17. madjeff

We could always use semaphore or send smoke signals to one-another...so much negativity here to modern communication...at the end of the day, it is about how you choose to use it...flickr, facebook and twitter have enabled me to make contact with some of the most interesting and talented artists and photographers who I would never have met had these things not existed.

18. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone here disputes the fact that occasionally good stuff comes out of these devices...as you say it all depends on the photographer

19. madjeff

You say, we are photographers not snappers....well a snapshot is a snapshot but when you make an image with creative intent, then in my mind you are making a photograph. If you can make an image with it's own purpose and integrity then the equipment you use to achieve it is immaterial...I have camera equipment that is worth thousands..I won't go on to bore you about it like so many do on these forums, but my iphone is another creative tool in it's own right...sure I can take cheesy snapshots of my friends and family with it but I can also put it to more creative use..Snobbery abounds in photographic magazines and on these forums when it comes to bragging about equipment, folks need to open their eyes to other possibilities and stop being so negative and died in the wool...If you can make a striking or captivating image, the camera you use is irrelevant.

20. madjeff

And Mike, if you don't send your messages to this forum by morse code or carrier pigeon, I presume you have some kind of computer contraption at your disposal....so you're a bit more up with it than you like to think you are....