1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's a left eye shooter?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tazio35, Dec 15, 2007.

1. tazio35

tazio35 Well-Known Member

I've recently read an interview with Annie Leibovitz in which she commented that she is 'left-eyed' and needed to use a motordrive on 35mm cameras because of it (to avoid taking the camera away from her eye). The interviewer thought this was unusual. Is it? I'm left-eyed. Is anyone else?

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Me too - although I'm right handed.

3. Boothy

Boothy Well-Known Member

I find it impossible to shoot with my left eye, nose gets in the way, and also it's less easy to use both eyes compared to right-eyed shooting where your entire left eye is away from the camera.

4. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

I have to use my left eye as I have blurred vision in my right, but my wife also uses her left eye as the camera then blocks her right eye and therefore she doesn't have to shut it as tight.

5. Clodhopper

Clodhopper Well-Known Member

Can't see a thing with my right eye so I'm left-eyed but right-handed
    It's not a problem shooting with a camera but hopeless with a rifle

6. Monk

Monk Well-Known Member

I found I was left eyed [still am] many years ago at school when trying to shoot rifle; I am well into middle age and at the local schools we all had to go through a basic military training. The CCF.

We all have eye dominance in the same way as in eye colour and a variety of other things.
    It can change over time especially with the onset of middle age, tiredness, variations in light and a variety of other factors.

Eye dominance is frequently not recognised.

Monk.

7. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

I use my left eye.

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I'm left eyed. Ususally not an issue, but a Voigtlander Trigger Winder type thing would be very handy. I've used one and loved it.

9. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

Yes, count me in. Say it loud, I'm sinister and proud.

10. downfader

downfader Well-Known Member

I too am left eyed, though never had a problem with closing the right or seeing through it while shooting thanks to the cameras I've used (prisms on the AE1 and the nikons still alowed me to use the right as normal and the left as the shooting eye)

The times I've used larger formats of photography have made it even easier as you get to use both eyes on 5x4. :D ..or none at all on pinholes. ;)

11. Burgy

Burgy In the Stop Bath

It doesn't matter what eye you use you can retrain, and if you are left eyed dominant, you should. The ideal position to be in is equally happy to use both (as I do). The most important thing however is to always keep both eyes open, at all times.

I did write a page some time ago for the blog. http://www.togsblog.co.uk/?p=231

12. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

Right eye for me.

13. bdr2

bdr2 Well-Known Member

I've never been able to see very well out of my left eye, so it's the right eye all the way for me.

14. mjc7uk

mjc7uk Well-Known Member

How bizzare! I am left eye but am right hand.

15. downfader

downfader Well-Known Member

I read that blog of yours a long while back and it made me think at the time how if I close my right while taking a pic I sometimes get this almighty migraine after. Not nice. :mad:

16. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

Right eyed here.

17. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

as you may have gathered I close both eyes when I shoot :eek:

18. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I can't use my right as since having surgery on it (as a 5 year old) it just hasn't been up to spec. No amount of training would help. If I used AF I suppose it'd be ok, but that'd be a sacrifice I don't want to make until I'm old and wrinkly.

20. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

And me........