1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Who uses the software that came with their camera?

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by SqueamishOssifrage, Jul 20, 2020.

1. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

When I got my first Sony dSLR I faithfully installed the software in the Image Data Suite, consisting of preview and collection-saving, photo editing, and remote control software. I had no use for the remote control software, since I had an Android version on my 'phone, and I didn't use the photo editing package since I hade been using Photoshop for years on film scans.

However, I was, and still am, a heavy user of the preview/collection software, Image Data Lightbox. Every time I import photos, they get an initial review in IDL to weed out the garbage. I have now found that I have been missing out on some very fast fixes for where those times when I didn't get it quite right in the field - launch the Image Data Converter editing program directly from IDL, and you get the photo link-loaded into IDC, where you have a side-menu duplicating the camera controls. Any camera adjustment you could - or should - have made in the field, can be made here, and the changes are embedded in the raw file, and when you return to IDL the changes are already there. The EXIF data is not changed, and if you convert to jpeg or tiff the edits are carried over.

I discovered this when fixing some QaD shots for the RTBC thread, where, for the shots of a black camera bag, I dialed in too much exposure compensation. I was able to dial it back down without a problem. It only took me nine year to find out I could do this. :eek::oops::(

Summary/TLDR: Check out the software that came with the camera - it might be better than you thought!

2. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I use PhotoStudio, which came with a Canon I bought 15 years ago. Surprisingly, it still works, even with Windows 10.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Canon software is good. I use it [EOS utility] to download images from camera and then [DPP] quick check tool to screen/delete the results before importing to Lightroom. I’m less enamoured with the Fuji software, which if I remember correctly, only runs on Windows and I use a Mac. The advantage of Lightroom is that it will handle all raw files in one place.

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I tried Canon's DPP when I first got my 600D, and it was terrible. I tried some other RAW processors, and they were terrible. I found Lightroom, and it was terrible.

I ended up sticking with Lightroom after several aborted attempts, but I've never gone back to Canon DPP.

5. PeteRob

The trouble with the early versions of DPP 3 was that there were no instructions and it wasn’t very intuitive. then I found a tutorial on the Canon USA site and it all became clear. The worse software ever was the Picture Style editor which you needed if you wanted to modify colours, that was incomprehensible. Colour editing is now in DPP 4 but I don’t use it for processing, only weeding. I moved to LR at version 3 I think, maybe 4. Certainly had 4,5,6 and now Classic. All raw processors seem more or less the same based on using DPP, Capture One (lite version) SilkyPix,Rawtherapee, LR, On1 Photo Raw and CameraRaw.

EightBitTony likes this.
  6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The software that came with my camera was out of date on the day the camera was originally sold! I do however use Nikon's current software which works well for what I want.
    Nikon View NX-i as an image browser does exactly what I need but I have never used the editing functions.
    Nikon Capture NX-D as an editor is basic but the UPoint technology does a good job and the white point selector can be useful
    Nikon Transfer, which accompanies either of the above does the job as billed, it transfers only the new files to a specified location. That it can be arranged to open automatically when a card is inserted is a bonus.

Yes, I know the software that comes with MacOS does much the same but I fund the Nikon software easy enough that I use that. One unacknowledged finding is that it works much better if you restart the computer after installation. No idea why but it just did.

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

DPP is actually excellent. A bit clunky, but produces the best possible results from Canon RAW files. If I'm doing a conference shoot, or any other shoot where I'm taking hundreds or perhaps thousands of pics, I use LR to batch process the vast majority of shots, but if there's anything tricky, I'll use a combination of DPP and PS to deal with it. I deal with my travel stuff the same way. Smaller shoots get dealt with by PS or DPP and PS. Never really got on with SilkyPix that I've got with various cameras.

8. PeteRob

What I learned with DPP 3 from the tutorial I found, and it came as a total surprise, was batch processing within the retouch tools - especially spotting dust out (this was 2007/8/9 before self-cleaning cameras). If you had a sequence of shots you could process them all inside the clone tool and only have to do the job once, same within the crop tool for correcting angles.

Benchista likes this.
  9. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Nope, didn't even bother to install them.

I use LR or CaptureOne for nearly all my photographic work, so much easier for batch editing, keywording, etc.

Occasionally use Photoshop for heavier editing.

10. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I store everything that gets through the Sony Lightbox in LR, but do all my heavy processing in Capture One, as it has easily the best de-mosaic routine for Sony ARW files, but I haven't done the latest upgrade to version 20. PS I now use solely for printing, as it seems to provide the most consistent results and greatest control of them.

11. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I used to use LR but decided that I did not like their business model. I moved to Serif Affinity photo for editing, but at that time the raw processing was not up to scratch and I did that with Nikon Capture NX-D using Tiff 16bit for the intermediate files. Nikon software got a bad reputation some years ago but is now very accurate, albeit clunky. Nikon de-mosaicing is very good. I now usually do conversions in Serif Affinity Photo for convenience. I import photos onto the computer using Nikon Transfer which allows me to rename files the way I want them. I miss the LR database facilities. If I was running a photographic business then I would have stayed with LR and PS.
    I do a bit of desktop publishing for which I use Serif Affinity Publisher. The way this works with Affinity Photo is brilliant. afphoto files are identical in structure to afpub files. The file extension just specifies which application opens the file .Publisher,Photo and Designer applications are three different interfaces to what is essentially one program. The selection of.dll files loaded depends on the front ends bought. Many .dll files are common. It is a clever idea and it works. Affinity also offers a great range of export formats.