1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who is using old Minolta-targeted kit?

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by SqueamishOssifrage, Nov 26, 2012.

1. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I missed quite a few shots this weekend, which annoyed the devil out of me. It was obviously the stupid camera's fault! :mad::rolleyes::D

Actually, the problem is that I cannot get used to the fact that on my Tamron 70-300mm USD, the focus ring is nearer the camera than the zoom ring, and the focus ring will 'refocus' according to the slightest (accidental) tweak. Every other AF zoom I have ever used has had the zoom ring next the camera body.

Anyway, as a result, I dug out my embarrassingly large collection of 70(ish) to 200(ish) zooms, and did a detailed performance test, and decided that for my standard tele-zoom I will go back to my 1989 Sigma 75-200mm f:2.8-3.5.

It occurred to me while taking the Tamron out of the current main bag, that just about all the kit I mainly use dates back to the late film era (except the above Sigma, which is early AF era). Only two of my six flash guns, three of my twenty odd lenses and none of my accessories are actually 'digital era'.

Do other Sony users have a preponderance of older kit that they still use, or am I the only Luddite in the camp?

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I don't own many lenses these days as I pruned down to the bare minimum over the last couple of years. Because they have proved extremely good on FF I've kept the Minolta 17-35mm and the Minolta 35-200mm xi. all the other Minolta stuff I once had I've sold on. I have some Sony lenses which I'll keep, 100mm Macro and 70-300mm. I don't miss the bucket loads I once had - in the end they were never used anyway :)

3. SqueamishOssifrage

I thought that might be a good idea for me, as I still have a lot Rollei stuff sitting in the cupboard that hasn't seen the light of day for several years now. I started to delve around, to see what I had to be disposed of, and came across a rather nice Zeiss 135mm in M42 that I forgot I had.

Thinking to myself that it could make a nice studio macro lens, I instantly went on ebay and ordered an Alpha/M42 adapter and a set of extension tubes. I guess some of us just aren't made to cut down on kit. :(:)

4. Roger_Provins

I know the feeling and I was reluctant to get rid of some things but I asked myself when was it last used or was it the best performing of its type I had. There really isn't much point in keeping stuff that's either never used or you have something better. So a drastic pruning brought it down to a kernel of five lenses and all the rest I sold. Same with bodies - what's the point in hanging on to outmoded, never going to be used again, cameras? Okay if you want to start in the collector game but I've been there and got fed up dusting shelf-queens :) Even after my purge I kept back a couple of high-end film cameras in case I felt like using film again. After a year or two they'd not been used so they went the same way.

Now I should to start on my workshops but they are so full of tools and machinery I don't think it's going to happen :)

5. SqueamishOssifrage

I shall probably dump my Rollei bodies, as the electronics are borked, but I am loath to part with my Zeiss QBM lenses, because they are so damned good - 28mm/f:2, 35mm/f:1.4, 50mm/f:1.4, 85mm/f:1.4 and 135mm/f:2.8. I would love to get them converted to the A-mount, but I suspect it would be cheaper to buy some of the new MF cheapo equivalents.

I shall keep my Dynax 5 and 7, because they do get occasional use.

Don't even think about it.

Firstly, getting rid of tools causes a severe loss of man-points, and
    secondly, you will need that precise tool within a week of getting shot of it! :D

6. neil.d

neil.d Active Member

I have several Minolta manual lenses that I use on my NEX. Total photographic enjoyment.

Rokkor PG 50mm f1.4
    Rokkor 50mmf1.7
    Rokkor 50mm QF Macro f3.5
    Rokkor 135mm QD f3.5 - maybe 1960's
    Rokkor 35-70mm f3.5

I also have:
    Nikon 300mm f4.5
    Pentacon 135mm f2.8 VB - 15 blade aperture.

Minolta Rokkor PG 50mm f1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/n_davies_001/7047886463/in/photostream

7. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

Don't think it's just Minolta users. It's a fact of life that camera bodies come and go but your lenses follow you through life. Not a bad thing value-wise if they are marque lenses. I think the value of old lenses marked Soligor, Prinz, Hanimex, Carena is not so good though. Usual dissenters reply to PO Box 00000.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

You're quite right unless these lenses are really bad, in which case their value can start rising again if they can offer a particular look.

Must say that the worst lens I've ever used was a terrible Hanimex 28-70, but that was just all-round awful, and as you say, worthless.

9. SqueamishOssifrage

A few weekends ago I had a monster clear-out of my photo cupboard (all 40 cubic feet - :eek: ) and rediscovered all my beautiful Rollei QBM lenses - luvverly fast primes by Zeiss and Voigtlaender.

I am now thinking of getting a Nex body with a QBM adapter, just to keep them in use.

Has anyone else used a QBM adapter on Nex? I would like to know how it turned out.

10. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Class glass I would suggest against the Super Paragon 28-100 I once had. Really no use to man or beast. I literally couldn't give that away: I'm sure charity shop workers throughout the land, otherwise lacking any photographic knowledge, were trained to say "Super Paragon my arse."

11. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I have just joined the MINOLTA users' club as I have been GIVEN a DYNAX 300 si and AF 35-70mm and 70-210mm zoom lenses + gadget bag, instruction book by a member of my Club Brentwood Photographic Club -- today I tested it with some 1998 outdated Fuji Super G 400 - as the camera is 'DX' coded with NO provision for Manual ASA settings I 'fooled' it by sticking some label over the DX contacts and it set 100 ASA by default ( I needed to downrate the 400 to 100 as it was so old)

12. SqueamishOssifrage

Congratulations! Now you're a real photographer! :rolleyes:;):D

I have just found out that I am an equal opportunity employer. The lenses I work with from my 'standard' camera bag include Minolta, Sony, Tamron, Sigma and Tokina.

Any body I'm missing? :rolleyes:

13. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

Oh at this time I am madly and desperatly trying to get my Minolta 7D fixed. I have the A700 but it never really made me happy. yes it's fast, yes it's better weather sealed but it doesn't cut it when it comes to biting sharpness and colour in comparison to my 7D. As for lenses, well the metal bodies Minolta lenses are all top notch lenses. I recently just bought the 17-35 and it now lives where the Sigma 10-20 (broke it shooting an engagement party) and I couldn't be happier actually. It's fast at the wide end and reasonably sharp and works on 35mm or full frame as an ultra wide angle lens.

I could not open hand of my Minolta stuff. I also have a 700si and an 800si which I love to bits, a Dynax 5L which is a little understated powerhouse, a 7000si With Data Back Super70 and no sir, I am not giving up on my Minolta stuff :D .

It's such a shame they went away. They may not have been to everyone's tastes but no one can really complain about the quality. I am praying my 7D comes back to life. That camera built my portfolio and had such clean high ISO images.

14. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Here is my DYNAX 500 si I was given, also with camera bag etc
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/25850987@N03/8449712035/

Here is a test photo taken with the built-in flash and a small unit with slave cell.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/25850987@N03/8450798552/

15. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

That 35-70 is surprisingly sharp and it really shines on the Sony A700. I have one that came with one of my cameras and I didn't make much of it because of its plastic construction. While it gives a weird zoom range on a digital camera, I found it to be really good on digital, sharpness and colour are very good indeedy. I haven't got the 70-210, I in fact long lost interest in longer focal lengths, but I will be buying a beercan soon, for those occasions where I will need that range.

16. Roger_Provins

Fine on full-frame which, of course, is what it was designed for. Also for FF a hidden gem, for those who don't mind power zoom, is the 35-200mm xi - mine is really sharp with decent bokeh. I think the word must be getting out as I see their s/h price is on the rise and they're fetching over double what I paid for mine a couple of years ago. They were an expensive premium lens back in the 90's

17. bob foto

bob foto New Member

I strongly suggest the purchase of a Sony nex 6 or 7 obtaining a
    Rollei to Sony adaptor via Amazon or Ebay. It will give a new lease of life
    to your Rollei lenses. I have..