1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who is Mr Soccer Nice Guy?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, Oct 23, 2020.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I was born and brought up in Wythenshawe and watched it turn from a nice leafy 'garden city' into a place I wouldn't feel safe going out alone at night. I may be a bit biassed, but I think the rot started when they moved a load of 'slum clearance' people from Moss Side.

The rise in car ownership also contributed to the massive loss of grass verges.

It's now in the hands of a dodgy housing association, who don't give a **** about the inhabitants.

The book I linked to, btw, is a good read.

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

My late mother was born in Moss Side, and my grandfather's diaries from 1911 tell the story of how they moved from there to leafy Urmston. Both houses being rented, the move happened within 2 weeks of the new house being viewed!
    (Sadly the cold, damp, & gloomy house they moved to is still standing, but the much better built council house in which my father was raised got knocked down as part of some improvement programme.)

3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I went to school in Moss Side (St Bede's).

Moss Side was originally a 'posh' area, but went downhill somewhat. I think it is in the throes of long-term renewal.