1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who is Mr Soccer Nice Guy?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Its not my place to judge anybody, so I won't; I certainly would not call myself Mr Nice Guy; I'm far too rational for that. I will even admit that I can be emotionally a bit cold.
    As an outsider to soccer I only see headlines and a very brief scan of the following articles.
    Now to set the question, which I will not answer.
    Who is Mr Soccer Nice Guy?
    Is it Mr Gary Lineker? Obviously formerly a very good footballer notable for his sportsmanship. Sadly he sold his soul, if not to the devil, but to the manufacturers of comestibles (not being pretentious, but you can't really call potato crisps food) that make children fat.
    Is it Mr Marcus Rashford? Obviously another very good footballer with a strong following. He is leading a campaign to feed children from financially struggling households with at least one decent meal a day.

Over to you.

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

There are several high profile admirable footballers who could be mentioned. The greatest though, in my opinion, are the ones who do good but shun the limelight. I am impressed with Rashford, but then there are countless others doing as much for their (often greatly impoverished) childhood communities without media attention.

Special mention though to Nwanku Kanu (I've surely spelt his name wrong) of Nigeria/Internazionale/Arsenal who set up a heart clinic at home having realised how fortunate he was to have been able to get first class heart treatment which would otherwise have been unavailable, and also to Didier Drogba who as Ivory Coast captain led the team to successfully call for an end to the civil war.

MJB likes this.
  3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

You could have Googled him for spelling. Nwankwo Kanu is his English spelling. A good candidate for Mr Nice Guy.
    Didier Drogba another candidate but I was thinking of people likely to be known in Britain. Criticise me for that. But why should I know much about foreign footballers if I am not a football fanatic.
    Perhaps we could have multiple Mr Nice Guys?

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Drogba is pretty famous among even those on the edges of interest in football. Kanu less so, particularly now, but hardly unknown here..

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

A lot of African footballers support their home communities by paying for schools and clinics.

Zou and Learning like this.
  6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

A lot of African players fund projects in their home countries. Sadio Mane has built schools and medical facilities in Senegal. Mesut Ozil of Arsenal impressed me recently. Despite being out of favour with the club, on hearing many stadium staff were being laid off due to no spectators at games he has paid their wages and will continue to do so all the time he's on the clubs books.

Learning likes this.
  7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

That explains why they're paying him £350k a week despite leaving him out of their squad - they can offset those other wages.

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Drogba played his best years for Chelsea, winning just about everything going. He's kind of a big deal. ;)

9. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I don’t follow football but even I am aware of Drogba and Kanu.

Google would have given you the information:)

Learning and Zou like this.
  10. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Not many outside of Southampton will have heard of him, but former Saints defender and part-time Freddie Mercury impersonator, Franny Benali.

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Remembered why I was sceptical of Ozil - didn't he have Erdogan as his best man?

@MJB speaking of politicians, do you recall that lad that played as a sub when "George Weah" phoned up and said he should get a trial! :D George seems to be doing ok as president of Liberia. No idea of his politics though.

12. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Ali Dia. Came on as a sub, replacing Le God against Leeds Utd. Subbed off 20 minutes later.

Zou likes this.
  13. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Ozil gets £350.000 a week and he has said he will pay the mascots £15,000 a year salary for as long as he (Ozil) stays at Arsenal. He was also the only player not to take a salary cut or defer wages because of the financial situation.

14. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

He hasn’t played a game since the restart.

15. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Who?

Last time I got in a football conversation was on a plane and the bloke (Irish) was talking about taking his son to a testimonial match for Roy Keene. I said that I’d heard of him and asked if he played for England. That ended the conversation and my wife later told me that a) I’d committed a faux pas and b) Mike Shannon doesn’t still play for Southampton.

Bazarchie likes this.
  16. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

:D

Mick Channon even.

Gezza likes this.
  17. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Could be! Funny thing is I always thought he played for Watford but someone corrected me.

I went to a football match once, probably 1972, didn’t like the swearing.

18. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Swearing's not compulsory, you don't have to do it.......

Zou likes this.
  19. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

probably is if you are watching Watford.

Zou likes this.
  20. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Outside school, I've never been to any football match; but around 20 years ago I drove through Wythenshawe where Mr Rashford was brought up. I still remember it for being the first place I'd come across a security guard in a small supermarket. (Now sadly, they're more common...)