1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Canon lens please?

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by Pete Bony, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Pete Bony

Pete Bony Well-Known Member

I have a Canon EFS 18-55mm 1:3.5 - 5.6 and a Canon Ef 28-80mm 1:3.5 - 5.6 which I use on both my 400D and 550D.
    Both of these lenses leave my images a little "soft" so what 1 lens would "the more experienced amongst" you suggest that I replace the two of them with please?
    (I don't see the sense in having two lenses of around the same size when one lens might do just about the same job as the two lenses)

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I don't own one, but the Canon EF-S 18-135 STM gets okay reviews.

I use my (second-hand) Canon EF 24-105 L all the time, and it's excellent, but you lose out on the 18-23mm range you get from your kit lens.

3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I'd second the suggestion of the EF-S 18-135 mm STM. Another to consider is the EF-S 15-85mm USM if finances allow.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

My Canon cameras only take EF lenses so no direct experience of EFS. The 15-85 EFS has good reviews and covers a very useful range of viewing angles. I think that to get really noticeable changes in sharpness you'll find the price increases a lot. The 'L' lenses from Canon are pretty good but the zoom focal length ranges available may not pair so well with crop sensor cameras.

5. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

The Sigma 17-70mm is highly regarded too, but I'm not sure if there are compatibility issues with older Canon bodies like you have.

6. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

These would be my suggestions too. Although there are occasional compatibility issues between old lenses and new cameras I'm not aware of any between new lenses and old cameras.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Good proof-reading test that!

8. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Which I clearly failed...:oops::confused:

Now corrected to make more sense... I hope!:rolleyes: