1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Which *Canon* dSLR would *you* buy?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by attack_donut, Apr 29, 2007.

1. attack_donut

attack_donut Well-Known Member

Hear me out:

I'm beginning ot be a die-hard Pentax fan. I've rounded up two (admittedly simple, and old) Pentaxes, the MX and the K1000, which of course are virtually identical camers. The k1000 I'm going to be using for B&W, while my MX is for colour.

I'm enjoying photography so much, that I'm going back to college to major in it (don't plan on changing careers tho-) and in discussion with the head of the University photo department, I will be needing a dSLR in conjunction with the standard film cameras.

Okay, so no problem right? Pentax all the way. But as it turns out, my Boss's brother is a rep for Canon, and gets Canon toys for wholesale, or less.....

So you see where that is going, I can't turn down the savings, but I know little about Canons, so I'm turning to you Pentax fans:

Which Canon would you have bought (and why), if you didn't have your Pentax?

Cheers!

2. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

Commiserations to your Boss's brother... ;)

If I didn't have a Pentax I'd pop out and buy a Pentax K10D as i think it's the best tool for the job. No point in buying something cheaper that I don't like.

If for some reason there were no Pentaxes I would buy a Nikon D200 or a Fuji S5 Pro.

Canon would not be on my list, regardless of the price.

3. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

I agree, I had an AV1 many years ago for 2 weeks before getting rid, one of the worst photopraphy decisions I ever made.I thought about going to the AE1p or the A1 but that was as far as it got. Though I did think about going F1n at one time.

4. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

My reply won't help you at all either.
    When I bought my Pentax DL2 I looked at the Canon 350D and Nikon D50 as well. Compared to the Pentax & Nikon the Canon was awful. It felt cheap. Controls weren't as well laid out, and worst of all the viewfinder, compared to the Pentax, was terrible. I chose the Pentax because my old screw thread lenses will fit if I ever choose to use them. But it was close. If I didn't use Pentax, it would be Nikon.
    Definately not Canon.

5. daveish182

daveish182 Well-Known Member

The Canon EOS 1Ds II would be my choice but even with a discount it may be a little expensive.

6. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

Except for the MX having interchangeable focussing screens, winder and 5fps professional motordrive etc! :rolleyes:

I have used Pentax in the past, but don't currently have a DSLR. The K10D interests me, but to write off Canon as some have done is patently ridiculous! I have used a Canon F-1, T90, EOS 650 and 10D, and they were all excellent cameras. Then again, I still have a Nikon F3 and FM, and they are also excellent!

As alternatives to the K10D I would consider the Nikon F80 and F200. I don't think that Canon really have an equivalent camera in their line-up at the moment, as the 30D is a bit long in the tooth.

7. welshwizard645

welshwizard645 Well-Known Member

Trouble is with Canon, they do good bodies, but I prefer the Pentax bodies in terms of usability....

GF has 300D which turns out very good results, due to two factors...

a) she's a good photographer
    b) she's also spent a shedload on 'L' series glass

So, if you weren't persuaded by John to get a K10D, and your 'contact' can get you decent savings...concentrate on getting lenses like the 24-70L, 28-105L, 70-200L or 100-400L, all naturally USM; the consumer lenses are a weak point in the Canon system.....

alternatively you can get a K10D with 16-45 and 50-200 for less than 1000 GBP....

Good luck..

8. attack_donut

I see....

Enlightening information to be certain! I will have to re-think my options.

As far as the Pentax winder goes, that I have, but what's this about a professional motor drive, and where can I get one??

9. attack_donut

hmm..board ate my post, let me try again:

Thanks for the replies, I'll rethink the discount option.

As far as the professional motordrive for the MX, do tell, where can I get it??

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Good heavens! That's like not considering a modern Pentax based on the results from and handling of the Auto 110 - utterly pointless! :eek:

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

You'll be lucky! Second hand somewhere, perhaps. But at this age, I wouldn't bother, TBH. I have the autowinder for my MX, but I hardly ever use it - the beauty of the MX is the small size and simple operation, IMHO.

If I were you, I would be looking at a Pentax K10D or Samsung equivalent (but as the owner of a Canon EOS 5D I can tell you with some certainty that there's nothing better for the money or less - but it sounds like overkill for you.)

12. attack_donut

Yeah, I stumbled upon the Samsung clone camera and the price is certainly attractive!

I have a winder on my MX for when I go shooting vintage races, but I think it goes 2fps max, just curious on the pro version...

In any case, off to research Samsung models now.

Cheers!

13. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

No, it means I have tried all the camera marques and decided I don't like the way Canon cameras work or are designed. I prefer the Pentax ergonomics and logic, and, after that, Nikon. Nothing pointless in that.

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I was replying to Gordon, not you, John. Although you should bear in mind that there are two quite different designs for Canon DSLRs - one based on the old T90 with multiple buttons, the other a multiple wheel design that just about every other manufacturer has copied.

15. bench_ubbster

bench_ubbster Well-Known Member

Here's what you do:
    Get best Canon SLR you can afford or the best deal is on, then sell it for a profit and invest in the camera of your choice. Simple ;)

16. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

To attempt to answer the OP in two ways -

Firstly, I'd want to know what the savings are likely to be and if they'd justify having two systems.

Secondly, if the answer to the first (double) question is Considerable and Yes, I'd go for an APS-C EF-S compatible model so for me it'd be either a 350D, 400D or 30D.

There's a very good selection of Canon compatible lenses and accessories available and I suppose that brand loyalty shouldn't hold you back. It's a hard and competitive world and if turning away from your much loved Pentax system makes sense for you right now and for your own reasons then I'd say do it.

17. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

I have owned and used Pentax cameras for many years and have loved the handling and superb results. I now have a good selection of Pentax lenses, so it made sense to buy the K10D. This camera is almost a digital version of my film bodied Z1-P, but will extra bells and whistles. I am very, very pleased with the K10D and the backward compatibility with my older lenses is great.

I have no experience of Canon, but for some reason they have never interested me. About 15 months ago, I dispaired that Pentax would not produce a great dslr and gave up waiting. I bought an Olympus E-500. This has proved to be a very capable camera and I have no complaints with it, except to extend my lens range was looking very expensive, hence the change back to Pentax.

I must say that now, the E-500 feels like a toy by comparison with the solid weight and handling of the Pentax.

You must make up your own mind of course, but I am sure if you chose the K10D, or the Samsung, you would not be dissapointed. :)

18. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

You may be able to find one on eBay if you keep looking, but as Nick implied, they're quite rare nowadays.

:rolleyes:

19. BuilderBob

BuilderBob New Member

I,ve got to agree with Monobod, I got the istDL and was somewhat dissappointed having used Pentax film, went to Nikon instaed and blow me if they don't pull one out of the hat.

20. Wheelman

Wheelman Well-Known Member

The first thing I would do is chat to the rep and see what they will let him buy.

I was in a similar position when I was looking for a new SLR as a friend was a rep , but when he inquired they would not sell him anything they considered professional kit. This included some of the top end enthusiast bodies and lenses.

Shame because I could have done with a deal on a 1D MkIII! (I have too much invested in L glass to change now) At least I do have a legitimate excuse for being in the Pentax room as I do still own a few spotties, including an F which is the ancestor of the K1000