1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Which camera for foreign holiday?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by pixelpuffin, Feb 23, 2020.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

We booked a villa earlier today complete with pool for mid summer family holiday.
    I have never taken a dslr abroad before. Usually taking just the phone, the travelzoom and separate underwater compact camera.
    However, this is the first time we've booked a villa, it's near the sea. I would really like to take a proper camera and proper lenses. But don't want to overburden myself nor let picture taking dictate the family holiday.
    So, I'm assuming many of you have been in this position before, Share your mistakes, offer your advice I want to come back with a card full of fantastic photo and video memories.

I have several dslrs (literally)
    A large set of lenses from zooms to primes, pancakes to telephotos
    Canon G16
    Lumix TZ70
    Sony underwater compact
    iPhone SE

I'm all ears...

My first thought was...easy the diminutive SL1, but the battery life is pretty poor
    So, I thought the 70d? 3 batteries should be good for almost 2K shots, Flip screen for family selfies
    Lenses...maybe both the 24 & 40 stm or 10-18 / 18-55 / 55-250 stm instead ??
    Or do I take the 6D with the 24-105 stm & 40 stm

Both 7d's and 80d are just overkill as are the L series lenses.

I have a fabulous tabletop folding manfrotto tripod with extending centre column comes in a small belt pouch.
    Maybe download the canon app to my phone too.

Apparently there's a big outdoor Go-Karting track which I'm guessing my son will want to try out.

So many possibilities, so many compromises too

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I have a very simple rule: if it won't fit easily in my carry on backpack it stays behind.

Cameras Nikon and Sony on Mammut Backpack TZ70 P1030554.JPG

3. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Fuji X series.

4. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Are you intending buying new equipment or selecting kit from what you already have?

5. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Using what I have.
    I really don’t want to buy anymore stuff.
    Besides the compacts it all integrates except the SL1 and G16 batteries.
    Last night I was drawn to the G16 and separate EX flash (430??) plus the highly portable yet diminutive manfrotto tripod. I’m just concerned that the quality would not be that much better than the Lumix TZ70 or my phone due to the tiny sensor.
    But the fast f1.8-2.8 28-140mm lens and Digic 6 processor should surely deliver better. I have 6mths before we fly. I really love using dslr’s but I’m conscious both the bulk and weight will make them my 2nd choice on holiday.

As for kit...whilst it seems I have a lot. I’ve really only added a few items to the canon kit I once owned but foolishly sold when I thought M43 was the answer. After realising my mistake I’ve spent the past 3-4yrs slowly building my canon kit back up but adding more modern bodies too (flippy screens)

i don’t envisage doing the system change again nor do I envisage me ever going onto the newer canon RF system either.

In my minds eye I see shots of my son frozen in mid air leaping into the pool, maybe slo-motion back flips into the pool too? Action stopping Go-Kart shots, low down vast panaramic pictures on the beach. Underwater shots in both sea and pool. Selfies on the beach etc etc
    Basically a mixture of everything achieved with minimum kit.