1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to start developing.

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by nastypiranha, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Kamepa

Kamepa Well-Known Member

If it really goes wrong you can normally rescue it after scanning.

2. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I did some Videos on loading developing tanks for 35mm and 120 and they are on you-Tube -- I will see if I can 'link' them for you ----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py0APGTrJGs

Sorry-- can find only the 120 size one ---

3. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Though 35mm tends to be easier than 120, most of the time - it's just trim or not to trim the leader, and remembering to have the scissors handy to trim the film off the spool. Flexes less, so less likely to come off the spiral and stop winding. You'll learn most of the basics from a 120 video.

While I wait with baited breath for new supplies of 127, I don't miss loading Efke onto a spiral at all - horrible, horrible curly stuff like a pigs tail!

Adrian

4. Kamepa

Kamepa Well-Known Member

127 film on ebay is tad expensive!

5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Yes - I'm eking out my last few rolls of Efke, hoping for the previously promised new stock (MACO Direct, I think) due "mid-year", as I don't want to forsake some of my weirder veteran cameras. No doubt while in the fridge the curl sets even more with time...

Adrian

6. Kamepa

Kamepa Well-Known Member

Now I know I will avoid 127 car boot cameras, albeit any out of date film going cheap will end up on ebay :)

7. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Or even before scanning, chemically, with such potions as intensifiers and reducers.

8. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Never thought I'd hear such things as intensifiers and reducers on the AP forum again. :)

9. nastypiranha

nastypiranha Well-Known Member

Thank you everybody :)My tank arrived this morning so been playing around with it and its all going fine except for some reason I can't get the last two inches onto the spiral.

10. Kamepa

Kamepa Well-Known Member

Thats normal, well for me anyway! Just develop without forcing film and it should be OK, as the bit you could damage is on inside. You will only be able to rotate in one dirrection or you might strain film. It is worth checking the film has not creased on the spiral so it is touching. You can check by very lightly touching film in the bag.

11. nastypiranha

Sorry for the delay in replying computer issues :(

Thank you Kamepa.

I've got all my bits now and am just waiting on my chemicals to be sent. What a hassle i had with the chemicals, as I'm in the "Highlands" I get the normal couriers wont deliver, charge double postage if lucky or due to the change in RM we cannot ship chemicals (which is fair enough).

So browsing the bay and seen a lot of Ilford chemical kits but all followed with "doesn't post to the highlands of Scotland". So I had a second look at the link Alex posted for silverprint and they where happy to send up this way.

Think i made a mistake with the developer, ordered Ilford PQ Universal Print Developer 500ml for film doh, but no major biggie as I do plan on building a wee darkroom at some point soon for paper printing. Can anyone recommend a developer for AGFA Vista+ ISO 200? or any tips developing this film .

12. AlexMonro

Different suppliers use different carriers, and different carriers have different policies about The Highlands. Occasionally, a supplier will arrange a different courier than usual if you ask nicely.

You'll need a C41 colour negative chemistry kit for Vista - almost completely different to conventional black & white chemicals. Silverprint have this one http://www.silverprint.co.uk/ProductByGroup.asp?PrGrp=5082 listed on their website - if you give them a call quick, they may be able to add that to your existing order, and avoid an additional delivery charge.

Main tip (I haven't actually done this myself yet!) - temperature is important, so have a big bowl of water at the right temperature to put the tank in, and pre warm the solutions before adding them. Have a kettle redy to top up the bowl to keep it at the right temperature.

Make sure you keep the print dev in "a cool, dry place" until you're ready for it - it probably won;t keep well if it gets too warm.

13. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Have tried this, seems to work reasonably, they claim down to 20C, which I'm not sure about! Failing that, what about coffee? Not tried it for colour [only gives mono] but works well for mono. And you can get the sodium carbonate as washing soda and vit C from health shops. Use the cheapest coffee powder!

As for "regs won't let us deliver chemicals", I've bought Pot bromide and others and no problem with delivery. You can even get Ammonium dichloride in solution, though the police will do checks if you order powder, or H2O2.

S

14. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Ahh, caffenol! Prefer Parodinal misself.

15. nastypiranha

Thanks guys for the advice, I decided easier just to buy some B&W film and start with that. think I'm going to have a lot of questions very soon so I'll apologise in advance :)

16. steveandthedogs

But I haven't got a headache [​IMG]

17. AlexMonro

Possibly a wise move... It will be easier, and more forgiving, than colour.

No apologies necessary, we're waiting to hear how it all goes... :)

18. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

You will have, waiting for it to 'ripen'

19. nastypiranha

Today is the day, I've got:

2 rolls of ilford XP2 super 400 B&W
    1 500ml Ilford PQ Universal Print Developer
    1 1 litre
    Champion Indicator Stop Bath
    1 500ml Ilford Rapid Fixer
    1 sort of working developer tank
    1 black out bag
    and jugs,clips,squeegee, thermostat.

So now to go and get 36 shots and string.

20. steveandthedogs

Don't forget a watch/clock.