1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Where On Earth Does The Money Come From?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mark101, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I've been intrigued for some time as to how some people in social media derive an income. Sometimes, yes there can be true earnings if you have 800,000 plus subs watching your channel, but some don't and yet still give the appearance of having a good income.

People like Thomas Heaton I can understand; Sky TV Cameraman, turned wedding photographer, turned landscape photographer and very quickly into tour organiser and guide, pretty obvious where his income came from and now nicely settled in a very expensive house and doing very well. However, people like Kai Man Wong and Lok are a real mystery; one time Digital Rev front men, now drifting around in self employment, very little cash generating revenue apparent on social media, so what is going on, is it an illusion, or am I missing something?

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Are they influencers? Do they get paid to recommend stuff, does advertising revenue give them an income?

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

At one time I was involved in money laundering assessment for a bank. It's very difficult indeed to work out what someone's real income is even if you have all the tools. Just looking at one public aspect of their lives is very misleading.

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Kai is constantly plugging sponsors, plus he'll be getting YouTube ad revenue. I know nothing of his personal circumstances but remember a lot of folk live off trust funds/parents/partners etc. and may have minimal expenses. Plus unlikely that they personally purchase all the expensive video gear.

5. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

We once saw the garage allocated to his new London flat. It was full of hardly used photo gear, but not that well used. I can't understand if he is now married or not. I thought he was married to a HK resident who he worked with on Digital rev, but her current postings show her jetting all over the place including Australia, but they recently they were gifted a new baby and supposedly honeymooned in Italy the other year. Not sure why I'm intrigued, and perhaps there is no mystery as pointed out because lifestyles create illusions.