1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

where I started

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Roger_Provins, Feb 22, 2011.

1. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

There seem to be a number of revival or enthusiastic-for-them-to-still-do-stuff groups out there in digital land....

...I'm just saying..... :eek: :D

2. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I have a ZX Spectrum stashed away and some game cassettes to go with it.Kept the kids occupied for hours.

3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Same here, there's a large bag of old Sinclair stuff in the loft - including those funny little endless (?) tape drive thingamajigs Sir Clive marketed for the Spectrum and a larger keyboard and more wobbly RAM etc. etc. :)

4. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Probably Microdrives (I have a few!) if you have any old games from "Ultimate" they are good sellers, also if you have ZX rom carts you can get a few quid for them.

A selection of my Sinclair stuff (1,2).

5. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

My first one in 1977 was one of these. There was a computer fair near the BBC HQ and I'd looked at the Commodore PET and something else and turned them down. The sales person was one of those smiley well-built natural blonde blue-eyed Californian girls and I couldn't resist. I did not realise that I had to port an operating system and program the thing from scratch but I did port CP/M and wrote a terminal driver for an Israeli VDU that didn't have a line 13 and a printer driver for the parallel port and bought the first ever Microsoft Basic interpreter from W Gates III that wasn't too clever with numbers. With 48k of RAM and two 350k floppies this was state-of-the-art.

6. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Seems I need to get up into the loft and have a sort out :) Thanks.

7. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Ye gods!
    This thread takes men bacK a bit! Reading names I'd hopefully forgotten.
    My introduction to computing was a BBC B, with ver 0.1 software. 32k ram. Cost £400 in '84 (I think) what does that work out at in today's money?
    I remember because shortly afterward I came down with adult chickenpox and was off work for 2 weeks, gave me plenty of time to get to grips with the thiing.
    Dave

8. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I so remember the thermal printer as I do those little microdrives, which used what were effectivly mini cassette tapes.

9. Linux_Lady

Linux_Lady Well-Known Member

My introduction was also a BBC - We had the tape deck and you could play random games which took about 40 minutes to load

We had BBC's and an Acorn at school and at the age of 9, I remember being really annoyed that the boys were allowed twice as much time on the computer as girls as 'they were boys'.

Thus started my career into IT and teaching myself to program - my Mother bought me loads of books and I remember being really chuffed that, after 1.5 hours, I got a stick man to bounce a ball on the screen.

Ahh, takes me back /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

It seems to work out to £960!

Got that from here:

http://safalra.com/other/historical-uk-inflation-price-conversion/

The old ZX81 would cost you £200 in today's money.

But in reality to build one today would be pennies. :D

There is more computing in a basic mobile phone costing £50.

11. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

My Nokia N8 probably has more computing power than a main-frame (Remember them?) from that era!

My last Acorn-ish computer (Which I've still got) is a RiscPC with Strong-Arm CPU and all of 8 meg ram.
    How things have changed!

Dave

12. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Well-Known Member

For anyone who missed it the first three times around,

Micro Men is back on BBC4 at 9pm tonight :)