1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When does Unusual become Usual?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by RovingMike, May 14, 2021.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Every time I have tried to reach anyone's Customer Service online, or by phone over the last few years, they have been "experiencing an unusually high number of calls at the moment" and I might want to call back later, another day, check FAQs online, or just sod off.

This is definitely pre-Covid, but any excuse seems to do. But when does this unusual calls level become the usual calls level? Can we hope that, contrary to many other things, it will not become the new normal?

Catriona likes this.
  2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I just wish they'd play some decent muzak, or retune the orchestra...

RovingMike likes this.
  3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I remember some that gave you a choice of music.

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Like every other measure that works to put you off calling them - it is the new normal service. I swear they just bugger-off and laugh.
    It's a bit how I felt about the measures brought in by airlines and airports. Supposedly temporary measures just become normal because the customer just puts up with it if they want to fly somewhere.
    There are many times I wish we were like French farmers or the French in cities. Shout for change!
    As you know very well, too, the Government just keeps on piling restrictions on and on and are applauded for it.

TheFatControlleR likes this.
  5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The trend I’ve seen is an automated “leave your number and we’ll call you back”. I first saw it in action when I hauled myself to the physiotherapist in town to make an appointment because I couldn’t get to the beginning of the phone queue. Two receptionists on the counter, phones ringing merrily behind them. They don’t answer any calls. They just work through the call-back requests at their own convenience. I can understand the advantage for them, it must be awful answering incessantly. Being deaf I use a conference quality speaker phone on my computer and Skype telephony. Being called back means I have to sit at the computer until the call comes. If I wander off I’ll miss it. Folk these days believe that everybody lives their life permanently attached to a cell phone. Trying to explain that, yes I have a cell phone, but please don’t call it, I won’t hear you, is nigh on impossible.

ascu75, RovingMike and Catriona like this.
  6. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

My theory is K-Tel are still going and flogging "Top 20 most annoying hold muzak" albums
    Where I used to work the joke was the hold muzak was "telephonic triage" on the grounds anyone who could hang on for 5 minutes REALLY did need our help!
    (I suspect the same principle was used in the waiting rooms they always showed ITV and a lot of the time it seemed to me it was the Jeremy Kyle show)
    My pet hate is my landlord. The hold music is a selection of Beatles numbers and whilst at first I thought "Well I like them" after an hour of the same 3-4 tracks played at a low volume with tinny sound I didn't like them half as much as I did an hour ago

ascu75 likes this.
  7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I thought that you had a social landlord. They are meant to be the epitome of kind caring people.

8. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Even more annoying when you eventually get through, explain the issue and they cut you off.

I often find live chat helpful but not always.

Perhaps some of the staff they have furloughed should be put on customer service duties.

During the start of the lock downs we needed a new washing machine which Currys were very quick to supply and deliver. Unfortunately it was a dog so we wanted a replacement but could never get a response by any of the contact methods.

9. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Or Covid has become the new excuse....I was waiting on a refund from British Gas and when I chased it up the excuse was....
    "Well the banks computers are taking longer than usual to transfer refunds because of Covid-19 affecting the network"
    I know about computer viruses but...!!!!

You know what worries me?
    If I'd said that at work two people I work with would have worked out that as Bill Gates controls all the computers in the World because he owns the internet that infecting the internet with Covid-19 made sense. Probably used his Chinese allies to do it
    So...if those who have been vaccinated have an internet account then the virus in the internet will interact with the chips implanted in our vaccines to make us obedient slaves who buy whatever Bill Gates tells us
    So the push to get everyone vaccinated is so Bill Gates can get even richer because he'll be selling to the big companies that if they pay him big bucks would be guaranteed huge sales from the microchipped
    But they haven't been vaccinated so that when Judgement Day comes they're going to Heaven whilst the rest of is are enslaved to our microchips burn in Hell where it turns out Bill Gates was Satan in disguise

Believe me the number of insane arguments I have from those two the above sounds quite rational

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    Gezza and SqueamishOssifrage like this.
  10. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Heather met a normal looking couple who were not getting vaccinated because of the microchip they put in your arm logs you onto the ‘government’ computer their final words to Heather was ‘we are taking the government to court, you heard it here first’ so there you go you are all hearing it too :rolleyes::D:eek::cool::mad::)

11. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Do they have any money and if so can I talk to them about my guaranteed method of making a Million?

John Farrell likes this.
  12. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Failing that, perhaps they'd like to buy that bridge you just happen to have for sale?

13. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Not built yet but secretly commissioned by Boris himself to help get the economy going after Covid. Once it becomes public the shares will go stratosperic so get in on the ground floor now!
    UK investors only Boris does not want to risk interference from Bill Gates.

John Farrell likes this.
  14. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Put me down for some shares I’ll pay for them outta the profit you guarantee so write me an IOU and send me the profits 4CBD2A75-4F2D-443C-95D9-13E2AB45C7ED.jpeg

WillieJ likes this.