1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did you last buy a new fim camera?

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by AJUK, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

I like that idea. A low resolution compact would be ideal. A short video burst might work even better.

(Maybe there is a use for that Canon Powershot after all)?

As long as it doesn’t take away the joy and anticipation of unloading Velvia from the processing tank, and then viewing it on the light box. Opening RAW images in Photoshop just doesn’t compare.

Sorry to rant on, but I recently had a favourite 645 Velvia trannie printed at 16 x 20 on Cibachrome/Ilfochrome, and have hung the framed print in our hallway. So far, everyone who has commented on it has said something along the lines of "did you take that with a digital camera? I’ve just bought one of those from Dixons".

At first I tried to explain the limitations of digital imaging and practicalities of printing larger than A4 size, but sadly it seems the digital brainwashing process is irreversible in most of its victims!

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

And these would be?........

Our club chairman has had prints made to A2 size and bigger which are superb. Now he had these professionally done (A2 + printers being a bit big and expensive for yer average enthusiast) but the quality was top notch. The files were recorded with a Canon 20D.

3. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

But would you (or could you) buy a Canon 20D from Dixons?

My point is that Joe public is being brainwashed into believing that everything digital is better than anything analogue. And that a 5 or 8 MP digital compact will give you better results than [even] medium or large format film just because it is 'digital'. As you might have gathered, I strongly disagree with this view! Digital clearly has a place, but most of the current digital hype is marketing fiction, not technical fact!

I am sure that a Canon 20D is capable of producing very good prints at A2 size. I will openly admit to using an E1 myself, so I am certainly not anti-digital. The E1 is a very good camera, and I have produced excellent A2 and A3 prints from it. But neither the 20D or the E1 are digital compacts, and they should not be confused with such.

Furthermore, as good as the 20D and E1 may be, I would still maintain that large prints produced from medium format film have a quality, definition and depth that digital just does not deliver as yet. The problem is mainly one of dynamic range, but at A1 or A2 size, definition does not stand up to close scrutiny either.

I am not into pixel counting, but 645 format film scans at about 56 megapixels on my Nikon LS9000 ED. Just remind me, how many MP is the 20D?

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

No but then I try never to buy anything from Dixons or their associates unless I've no other choice.

I wish I could disagree about the hype but I can't... :(

Unfortunately that wasn't how it came over to me though that could be down to my own personal reactions.... I tend to get a bit hacked off by the whole film-vs-digital thing.

I would tend to agree re MF still being better in these respects than digital but then it's better than 35mm too yet you don't often get the MF brigade bad mouthing the 35mm boys to anything like the same degree.

5. John_Hine

John_Hine Well-Known Member

I sold a pile of old Canon FD stuff in May and could have bought one of the cheaper DSLRs without digging out any "new money". I thought briefly about a Nikon D50 or Pentax equivalent but finally decided in favour of a slightly second-hand but immaculate EOS 30V body and a new 28-105 USM. I wanted to own one of Canon's (last?) good-quality film cameras and to retain the ability to present good slide shows which involve no home processing. Digi projectors seem to be about ten years behind the digi cameras and cost far too much. I do use a digi - a Canon A95 - when I need instant email fodder but do not enjoy even the small amount of Photoshop-fiddling that the images always seem to need.

6. Matt_Hunt

Matt_Hunt Well-Known Member

Last week.

But I'll stop banging on about that :D

7. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

What was that?

8. Matt_Hunt

F80.

More on the basis that my F75 will not last for ever and that by that time, a second hand F80/75 would not be worth it unless one very careful owner and I'll never afford an F6.

So until the '75 falls apart the F80 is mostly going to live in its box, lurking until the hour cometh...

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Not sure that's a good idea, for two reasons:

1. Cameras need to be used - the mechanical bits can seize up with lack of use.
    2. The F80 is a much better camera than the F75 - it's a waste to use them that way round!

10. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

Don't forget the behemoth that is the F5! Now there is one fantastic camera; mine is called Gustav. :cool:

11. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

...I'm a bit late responding here, but agree with the points you're making.

Just over a year ago, despite owning a 10D and an EOS3 etc. I convinced myself that a 30V would be a good buy*, and mine came with the cheapest version of the 28-105 lens. I don't think I've had such good exposures on slide film as I routinely achieved from this 30V and 28-105, and other, lenses on Provia 100F. I later bought the grip, and that lives on the camera all the time.
    (* I think I was influenced by some sales-speak saying that its processor was the same as the 1V! Gullible as always, where cameras are concerned.)

Sadly, the cheap 28-105 isn't good enough for serious use on my 5D, and it's been retired.

12. Matt_Hunt

Good point - I'll use the F80 on an occasional basis. I'll cry if it died before it's time. Thanks for that.

Bagpuss me furry tailed pal: How many cameras do you have!?

:)

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I really don't see any point in moving from the F5 to the F6 so I certainly won't be in the market for an F6, good though it undoubtedly is. You can get F5s for silly money so if you want a serious film camera look out for one.

14. bagpuss

2x F80 bodies
    1x F5 body
    1x D70 body
    (and assorted Nikon lenses, including a superb 50mm, a bargain 20mm and a much under-rated 60mm macro)

1x Bronica ETRSi + 50mm, 75mm and 200mm lenses and 3 backs, and other assorted bits and bobs.

1x Leica C-Lux digi-compact

And in the miscellaneous section there are two Prakticas + various lenses, a Yashica Minster III rangefinder, a Voigtlander VF 135 rangefinder, a Zeiss Ikon and my hubby's pride and joy - a 1930s Leica III.

I think that's everything...

15. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

A couple of months ago I bought a disposable for the monthly forum competition. Does that count?

Prior to that 15-18 years ago when I bought a Nikon FE.

16. Pete_Self

Pete_Self New Member

new film, er other than compacts I havent done so yet, I have my eos 10 but that was second hand so yeah. and that was bought in about 2002 but as I say second hand

17. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

Just bought 2 brand new!

OK, so they're disposables for underwater, preloaded with 800 Kodak which is grainier than sand at just 6x4!

18. Matt_Hunt

Holy **** Bagpuss!

And the kids too!

19. mjc7uk

mjc7uk Well-Known Member

My last purchase of new Film Camera was Minolta X-700 with 50mm F1.8D lens back in 1988!

The next few was 2nd hand ones until I got the new digital camera (Sony DSC-P31, then Canon A70 and now Nikon D50)

20. bagpuss

We gave Freya (who is 4) our old Olympus Camedia 2mp compact and she quite merrilly wanders around taking photos with that when we're on a shoot.

For example:
    [​IMG]
    A security guard at The British Museum telling me that the use of tripods is prohibited! :D