1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did you last buy a new fim camera?

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by AJUK, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Knockmore

Knockmore Well-Known Member

Nikon F75 in August last year when my well used F90's shutter finally gave up the ghost while on holiday in Italy.

2. rephoto

rephoto Well-Known Member

Amout a month ago. got myself an xpan (well actually a Fuji TX2 in japan). Possibly the most fun camera in my collection. Don't regret one bit. Everyone should have one.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Nikon F5 in 1997, still in use too all be it rarely.

4. John_Baker

John_Baker Well-Known Member

I bought a dedicated underwater disposable camera last week – for the major investment of £4.99. Before that it was a Canon EOS1N as a backup about 2 years back, of course this was before the price dropped through the floor and you can now get them at under £200.

5. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

I did mean brand new, wasn't the 1n D/C in 2000?

6. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

I think it was my Fuji GA645zi about 5 years ago. I should really get out and use it again.

7. Zak52

Zak52 Well-Known Member

Last (and only) time I bought a new film camera was in 1998. A Minolta 505si with 28-80 lens. It was SLR of the year or summat. Actually, it was a very good camera but had a PLASTIC lens mount! The si Super had the metal mount.

8. photojunkie

photojunkie Well-Known Member

A Canon Eos 30 in 2001.
    Only put one film through it this year but I would never sell it. With the standard 50mm lens and Reala film/decent processing the pics are hard to beat.

9. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

'99 - a Nikon F65. Still got it and use it from time to time, mainly as a dedicated B/W body alongside a F80 and D70.

IF Nikon released a new film camera with a digital sensor as well, I would be tempted - the digital side for instant gratification and the film for decent longevity of the images...

10. jkphoto

jkphoto Well-Known Member

To be perfectly honest I don't think I have ever bought 'new'. There are (or were) so many mint examples out there used as a form of costume jewelery then discarded, that I have never had to buy new. The closest I cam to buy new was when my father got me started in photography in 1963 and bought me a
    Halina 35x as a christmas present. It cost then something like £7-15 shillings, a fortune in todays money for what was a very basic camera with a crap lens

11. dyncoed

dyncoed Well-Known Member

Re: When did you last buy a new film camera?

ive only bought two new camera's in my life, a zenith 11 in 1985, and a yashica t4 compact in 1994.

ive just recently bought an as new nikon f80 that had seen virtually no use. this was the latest in the line of nice/imacculate camera's ive bought second hand over the years that include

olympus om2n,
    contax ma,
    contax md,
    olympus om10
    and the nikon f80.

i'm all for recycling other peoples hard earned cast off's.

mark

12. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

Re: When did you last buy a new film camera?

There had been a rumor over at Nikonians that Nikon were to D/C most SLRs, but with the replacement to the F80 coming at the same time, to soak up some of what little market that they can from buying second hand. Would have been nice if it had all of the non Digital inovations like like commander mode, and fully updated flash system ETC, and Fuji would probably have used it to (Does anybody else wonder what Fuji will use next time?). I still would have bought an F80 Second hand though. But if it were not for the seond hand market, I probably would have bought a cheap Minolta model.

13. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

Reading the posts above, one can see why the photographic industry wants to herd us all into (disposable) digital cameras which are out of date before the box is opened!

For the record, I bought a new Mamiya 645 Pro TL last year, and an OM4 T1 back in 1999. I also use an E1 which I bought in July 1994.

Can anyone suggest a digital camera that will produce better images than my film cameras? The E1 comes close to the OM4 Ti, but IMV the 645 is streets ahead of both.

I spotted a used fisheye lens for the Mamiya in a local independent camera shop recently, and went in to have a closer look. The young man behind the counter suggested that I trade in the Mamiya and buy a Canon Powershot, as it was ‘digital’, and so would produce better pictures. When I explained that I already had an E1, his response was that the Canon had 8 million pixels, whilst the Oly only had 5 megapixels; so the Canon would produce better pictures!

Problem is, the majority of consumers just wouldn’t know any better.

14. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

It's sometimes fun to confuse the staff at the local branch of a well known retail chain. Try this one..

"What size is the sensor in the (insert digital compact model)?"

99% of the time you get the answer in MP and they haven't a clue about the physical size - the manufacturers don't really help, with such designations as 1/2.5" is that the diagonal measurement of the sensor?

15. robertj

robertj Well-Known Member

I bought Olympus IS-5000 28-140mm all-in-one (not real) 35mm film SLR camera in 2003.

No.

16. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

1994???

I hope you gave him a beating for that /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Guy obviously didn't know what he was talking, the 5MP SLR will be cabable of producing better looking enlargements than an 8MP compact, in which the extra pixels just make up the numbers!

17. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

Sorry, I meant 2004!
    In 1994 we were all happily using Ektachrome or whatever, and didn’t care how many pixels it had.

On the other subject: No, I didn't give the guy in the shop a beating; I just asked him how he thought we had managed to take pictures for the last hundred years without digital technology? I didn’t get a reply, just an open mouth and a blank look!

Unfortunately, it seems that Joe public is now totally brainwashed by the digital hype, whether it be cameras, radio, television, or the programmer on the latest washing machine.

In most cases, digital isn't better than analogue, it is just easier to sell. I am still using 50 year old Quad (valve) amplifiers at home, and I would say they probably sound better than almost anything available today - regardless of price. (What’s more, I can still get the spares if I ever need them). And I'm sure I don't need to defend Velvia on this forum.

Fact is, the only reason that big business is forcing digital down our throats is that they have discovered a new way of parting us with our money! Better still, they know that most of today’s products will be obsolete within three years, and then we'll be back to buy some more!

18. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I waited over 40 years and finally took the plunge in December 2002 and got a NEW Hasselblad 501CM out of my pension money, just to see what all the fuss is about with Hasselblad, but really the lens is not better than my old Rollei 2.8F or 3.5F I got for £100 !The interchangeable lens and back option is good however.

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Quad 22s I presume? Great gear and great customer service, I took in my FM4 a few years ago and they repaired it so fast I was out of the country because I had expected it to take several weeks. I think I phoned from the US and to tell them when they could deliver it, it arrived exactly as requested. Not many manufacturers support products 18 years old and long out of production.

20. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

I think if he knew what he was doing he would not have tried to sell a MF user a digital compact!

How about this, a digital camera that goes into the hotshoe of a MF or LF camera and takes a snap the same time as the film is exposed, cheak if anybody is blinking!