1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did you last buy a new fim camera?

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by AJUK, Jun 23, 2006.

1. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

When I say new, I mean brand new, and is feature they could add to a film camera to make you want to buy a new one?

2. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

That would be about five years ago, I think - Nikon FM3A. Today's film cameras (those that are left) aren't lacking anything from my perspective - there haven't been any technology advances in the last twenty years or so that I either want or need. They'd have to cut lots of things out to get me excited. I'd quite happily buy a current Mamiya 7II if I had the money for it and the requisite lenses though. And I did think for a while that I might find myself buying a Zeiss Ikon, but on reflection I decided I'd rather go back to a Contax G2, if and when my priorities lean that way.

3. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

Your moderating late, then again I can't talk, I'm stil here, im off now anyway!

4. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

I have never bought a brand new film camera. :eek:

And as the only new film camera that Nikon are still producing is an F6, I won't be buying one anytime soon! (Much prefer my F5!)

5. pilliwinks

pilliwinks Well-Known Member

Last year, a 5x4 field camera. There are no extra features that I can think of that would make me want to buy a new 35mm camera, unless by "new feature" you included no autofocus, no built in winder, and no battery dependence. I can live with a built in meter, although I haven't seriously used a camera with a built in meter for years.

6. daveish182

daveish182 Well-Known Member

Canon AE1P in the early 80's
    If you could add a medium format and large senser digital back to 35mm Canon FD i'd be very happy lol or maybe auto film develop??

7. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

Earlier this week. A Minolta disposable.

8. robc

robc Well-Known Member

About 18 months ago....Canon EOS 33V
    It is well loved and is currently my most used camera (my DSLR gets next to no use) but I have learnt pretty much all I can get out of it so I am looking to upgrade to an EOS 1V HS as soon as possible - so in a couple of months I will be buying another brand new film camera.
    R

9. Ben78

Ben78 Well-Known Member

About six months ago - a Mamiya RB67.

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well...discounting disposables and various compacts, the last film camera I bought brand new was my EOS 100 in 1992 or 3. But I have bought a Contax 167mt more recently that was NOS (new old stock), I suppose. There is nothing I can imagine that they could add to a new film camera to make me buy one - I will just maybe continue to hoover up used ones instead, although even that's unlikely as I reckon I have the film cameras I really want now - in the AF SLR world, there's simply nowhere else to go.

11. Matt_Hunt

Matt_Hunt Well-Known Member

March last year, Nikon F75.

Think about changing it for an F80 now.

12. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

The only new film camera I bought was an Olympus OM10, bought around 1980 (pictured in my gallery). There's nothing that they could add to any current 35mm film camera that would make me buy one. I recently bought a used OM4, for me thats it, nothing needs to be added (unless as someone mentioned above a 'Digital Back' :cool:) nothing needs to be taken away. The only new film camera that I would like is a Wista 5x4 Field Camera. :D

Richard

13. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

The only new film camera I've bought was the F80, I got it just after it came out.

14. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Well-Known Member

Late 2004: a Pentax 67II, Oh and AP very kindly gave me a Leica MP last spring. As for new features, like Huw I have found most of the new features of the last 20 years to range between useless and a real pain: e.g. DX coding, auto focus, plastic bodies. cameras with no manual film winding.

15. AlfChamings

AlfChamings Well-Known Member

F80, three years ago. Unlike some, I do like some of its features (although I do still like my FE2 and FA). The adjustable programme mode - turn the thumb wheel to alter the aperture - is better than aperture priority in my view because you use it when you have time, but if you don't have time, you still get the shot, albeit you could have a better setting - which you might then get if you have time for a second shot.

What I would add: the big things they missed off: can't meter with manual lenses - like my macro; no mirror lock up. Still use a manual body for these.

16. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Nikon FM in '81 or '82 (can't recall which)

Like Alf it's more likely features that are missing would rule a camera out of the running rather than anything new would attract me. As far as I can tell other than having lots of electronic gubbins stuffed inside dSLRs don't seem to have any features that you can't find on any half decent film box...

:)

17. bagpuss

:eek:

I was born in 1982.

18. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Musta been a good year............... :D

19. bagpuss

:D :D :D

:eek:

20. stephanj

stephanj Well-Known Member

Bronica Rangefinder this time last year. Which on reflection astounds me. I actually bought something brand new! Crikey, the Jessops used service must have had a bad week.