1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

When all you had was your mobile...

Discussion in 'Smartphone photography' started by plugsnpixels, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

That's a great find - if it was anywhere near me I'd be tempted to go back with all my kit and spend some time photographing it from every angle! It'd be great on a bit of a misty day as well.

Cheers, Jeff

Chilli likes this.
  2. Chilli

Chilli Well-Known Member

I couldn't remember the town from or too that I was going which was frustrating. or I would have done.

3. plugsnpixels

plugsnpixels Well-Known Member

Those are great shots Chilli! At least you have the phone, otherwise imagine your frustration!

I'm often driving and I can't even make use of the phone (busy freeway, etc.).

See my story about an iPhone grabshot on a local road that I turned into a bit of art.

John Fantastic and Chilli like this.
  4. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I went straight from a 27 year old manual film SLR to a digital SLR in 2007, and bypassed the smartphone revolution (I have a basic pay-as-you-go mobile and make £2 or £3 of calls a year).

The fact that children are fascinated by them puts me off: I don't know if I've missed out or been lucky.

John Fantastic likes this.
  5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The second battery in my old phone, a cameraless, thick as pigsh*t phone, a Nokia 3030e has packed up, so tomorrow DPD are promissing to deliver a Moto G 7 plus. Please don't tell me where I could have bought a new battery for my old phone. The deal is done. I intend to still carry a Sony R100 m3 when I do not carry a proper camera.
    What I lumber myself with in a weeks time remains to be seen.

6. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

About the same with me. I was lumbered with a mobile when at work but since retirement I just have one in the car glove compartment in case of emergencies. I carry an Olympus 4/3 when I'm out and about and have an oldish Sony full frame for other stuff.

7. Chester AP

In 2005 an employer offered me a rented mobile telephone so that he could contact me 'at any time'.
    When I told him that it would only be switched on during the hours for which he paid me, and that any messages left on it would be reviewed after I arrived at work, the offer was withdrawn.

spinno likes this.
  8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

the way it should be

9. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

If you have the GPS on your phone switched on should have the location in the exif

10. alfbranch

Here is a shot from a picnic last year where I left the cameras at home to surprise of my wife

[​IMG]A summer evening by Alf Branch, on Flickr

This is from an early morning shot where my cameras where buried under a tone of stuff in my boot so I grabbed this before catching a ferry

[​IMG]Harwich low light at sunrise by Alf Branch, on Flickr

John Fantastic and dream_police like this.
  11. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I recognise that. I spent my childhood summer holidays at Dovercourt! *Twilight Zone theme*

alfbranch likes this.
  12. I have an old DSLR, I was thinking of upgrading to a FF Mirrorless, eventually decided that they weigh too much, So I decided that my primary camera of choice will be my smartphone. :)

13. Chester AP

I notice the 'primary camera' reference, which suggests you will keep the DSLR for situations that the smartphone cannot cope with.
    Do you anticipate selling all the 'old' kit and and limiting yourself to the smartphone?

14. alfbranch

I recommend going smaller that a big noisy DSLR and trying a m4/3 camera

15. Hello Chester AP, Yes I plan to use my smartphone as my primary phone but I have no intention of selling my DSLR. there is still no long telephoto for the smartphone besides, it might no work out. Meaning I might find the smartphone too limiting and might go back to either a DSLR or a mirrorless.

This weekend, I will do my first "serious" shoot with my smartphone and see if it is capable enough for my liking. :)

16. Thank you Alfbranch. Yes I am indeed considering m4/3 and fujifilm as a very good alternative to DSLR's. :)

17. Chester AP

On another thread I suggested to somebody that the best compromise between the small size of a smartphone (but perhaps only small in thickness) compared to a DSLR might be one of the recent 'compact' cameras with a half-frame (ASP-C) or M3/4 sensor and a fixed zoom lens with the equivalent of a full-frame 24-75 or 24-100. Or perhaps a camera with one of the 'one inch' sensors with a lens equivalent to 24-200.

One thing that rarely get mentioned is that the smaller the sensor, the smaller the range of lens apertures usually available because diffraction caused by the iris starts 'earlier'. On a full-frame the advice is not to go smaller than F22, and a half-frame (APS-C) it's F16 and on M4/3 it's F11, and on a 'one inch' sensor it's F8. I have got these figures from a helpful American website that other Forum members have recommended in other threads. You can enter your sensor size and lens aperture and it does the calculations for you. Of course, how important the softening of fine detail caused by diffraction is to you will depend on what you want to do with the images - it would show more on large prints. This also explains with smartphones often only have one lens aperture and why it's often F1.8 or similar - the sensors are minute.

With a more limited range of apertures available, you have less freedom to control depth of field, and correct exposure will depend more on shutter speed and ISO adjustment.

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography.htm

18. Thanks for sharing Chester, I already learned something ew by joining this forum. Honestly I thought that diffraction always starts at F22. I did'nt know that it is a function of sensor size. :)

19. Chester AP

Nor did I until I noticed some image softness when using F22 to get maximum depth of field on my half-frame (APS-C) DLSR. I had to find out by referring to a 1970s photographic book I have, where I found out that the size of the 'image circle' (usually taken to be the diagonal size of the sensor) is one of the factors in the calculation of the size of the 'circle of confusion' which defines the minimum size of a detail that can be sharp. Other wordings exist for this, and its size is also debatable when modern very high definition sensors are in use - the definition I found obviously dates from the use of film. The website I referred you to is very helpful.

AP now sometimes refers to this in reviews of lenses for made for smaller sensor camera bodies, drawing attention to the fall off in image sharpness as aperture numbers approach F11 or F16.

20. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Strictly spoken it isn’t. Diffraction depends on the physical diameter of the lens aperture. The smaller the hole the greater the effect of diffraction on the results. The aperture size is nominally the lens focal length divided by the F number. In practical terms it is. If comparing two camera with different sized sensors set up to frame the same scene with the same exposure settings then a shorter lens is needed on the smaller sensor, the physical aperture is smaller and the greater the effect of diffraction.