1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What's your camera make?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by KrystalsGrandad2502, Jun 25, 2016.

?

Which make junkie are you?

1. Canon

13 vote(s)
    37.1%
  2. Fuji

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Pentax

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. Nikon

10 vote(s)
    28.6%
  5. Olympus

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. Sony

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

In the late 1980s I was heavily into Minolta film SLRs (SRT101, 4 x X700 plus flashes), and the appearance of Minolta's AF system made my Minolta gear obsolete overnight. I stuck with Minolta, but made enquiries, and in 1995 a professional advised me to think of Canon for my bird photography. I started with an Eos 600, and added decent lenses as soon as I could afford them. I still have the EF 135 F/2L bought very early on, and it still gives a "wow" to my shots. Lenses have got longer as funds permitted, & I've bought new bodies every few years, including two 1D bodies. Currently my latest body is a 7D Mark II, and I'm not sure which gives the better results - 1D IV or the 7D II. I also have a Fujifilm compact and one of their 3D cameras.

2. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

If you read my post you would see I mention having replaced the tripod with a monopod, it's a Manfrotto 685b Neotec, the head on which is a Manfrotto 222 Joystick

3. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Nikon: F, F2A, FE, F3, D2x and D810
    Olympus: OM2
    Ricoch: 1962 Singlex 1
    Pentax: K1000
    Fuji: S1 Pro, X-Pro1 and X-T1
    Bronica: 2 x ETRSi
    Yashica: 2 x TLRs and 2 x Ministers
    Zeiss Ikon: Nettars, Contraflexes or Contaflexes (I can never remember!) and a 1936 Contax ii

Also...more other bits and pieces than I care to go and check in detail - Ensigns, Kodaks, Voigtlanders, Bencini, Ibis, Hanimex, Agfas - all sorts of stuff!

Oddly, no Canon, although I hasten to add that despite jokes to the contrary I have nothing against them - I just haven't got around to buying one yet.

Also no Leica because since I started looking for one the prices seem to have skyrocketed!

Next purchase will probably be a Graflex of some description. Why? Because I've always wanted one!

I like cameras and can't see any reason why I shouldn't keep acquiring them. All of them have been used by me (with the exception of a couple of 126 cameras that I was given recently and, strangely enough, the Contax which I only bought last week and have a roll of film waiting to be put through it).

At the moment in day to day use, unless I'm trying out something new that I've bought, it's about 80% Nikon D810 with the remaining 20% usually split between the Fuji X-T1 and X-Pro1.

Cheers, Jeff

4. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Canon for me, purely because when I purchased my first DSLR (1100d) it was the one in a clearance sale in Argos. Once I had added a couple more lenses I'd bought into the system and should I feel the need to change it would be too costly. That being said I'm totally happy with Canon. Still have the 1100d, but have upgraded bodies a couple of times and have a 70d and 7d mkII in the arsenal. I've got most bases covered with lenses. 24mm, 50mm and 105mm macro prime lenses and 18-55mm, 18-135mm, 55-250mm, 70-200mm and 100-400mm zooms and a 1.4x teleconverter. Other than adding a wide angle zoom I can't see me making any significant additions unless some L series lenses come my way at a cheap price to upgrade the 18-55mm and 55-250mm.

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Sorry Mike, I saw the photograph and did not pay enough attention to what you wrote. Please accept my apology.
    Regards John.

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

At one time or another I have used all of them plus three more, Exacta, Voightlander and Agfa.
    I still have all of them except the Exacta kit which was stolen.
    The Voightlander was really my father's and came back from Germany after the war (not pinched let me add, but won in a unit raffle). The Agfa was his as well and I was pretty miffed when he first showed it to me because I was already using a Pentax SLR at the time. My main cameras are Nikon. I also use a small Sony which travels every where with me accompanied by an ancient Nokia phone and GTN spray.

7. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

I use Canon, I guess when I got my hands on the original eos Rebel I got used to the system and the logic... Never found anything better really, the system not the Rebel and have owned few eos cameras over the years current one being an eos 600D.

8. spangler

spangler Well-Known Member

Nikon DSLR and LUMIX M4/3 systems.

9. PhotoRobin

PhotoRobin Member

I use Canon and Pentax. Recently have been using the Pentax more than the Canon. Really enjoying getting reacquainted with film

10. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

Can't see a"other" choice on the poll

11. KrystalsGrandad2502

KrystalsGrandad2502 Well-Known Member

Sorry, my first poll and I forgot to add it......oops

Shaun

12. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Mostly it's a question of what comes up at the right price, and what your friends/professional colleagues use. The latter is why I switched from Pentax to Nikon in the 70s, though by then I'd already been using Leica rangefinder cameras for years: see Leicaphilia.

Cheers,

R.

13. Elinore Pelton

Elinore Pelton New Member

I've always loved my Canon 70D.

14. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I like the trolley idea. My wheelchair could do with a monopod or something with QR
    Cameras I have three bridge cameras two canons and a fuji, I like the tone on the fuji best but it eats batteries so gets used seldom. I have a canon 40D a Canon 350D panasonic tz8
    a Agfa Isoly and Yashica B plus numerous display film cameras which when I get round to it I will put a film through.

Being wheelchair based has its advantages because with most cameras they sit in my lap rather than hang from my neck but the pay off is I am stuck at one level.

Don

15. fossil

fossil Well-Known Member

Cast my vote for Sony,( A77,A580,A200 RX100 ) but would like to add 2 more, for wife (A55 ) and daughter ( A58 )

16. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Well-Known Member

Started with a Minolta SLR in 2000, and acquired a flash and their excellent 200/2.8 and 100/2.8-macro lenses

Minolta became Konica Minolta and I went digital with the Dynax 5D.

KM got out of the camera business and Sony acquired their mounts, so I'm now a Sony user. Got a an a350 as a second camera and used it and the 5D together for a few years. Both have very similar user interfaces so switching between them is easy.

Recently got an a77 as my main camera and double up with the a350 when necessary. I suspect this might well be the end of the line for A-mount lenses, so expecting these to keep me happy for a good few years.

17. J H Foto

J H Foto Well-Known Member

Canon cameras are just re branded Nikon rejects.........

Cuthbert likes this.
  18. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

They just weren't heavy enough to hold the door open.

19. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

It is always the camera I fancy never the brand. If it is excellently made who cares.

20. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Agree, Terry. When the kit gets in the way of getting the picture too many times then it is time for it to go. When it becomes almost invisible in use, that is when it is doing its job well.

Brands wax and wane. For example: Olympus. :rolleyes: Within every brand, I think you get 'stand out' cameras.

In my experience, too many cameras = not enough pictures.

But on the other hand, buying & selling interesting kit = fun + experience + appreciation but not the financial kind! Usually. Oly