1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's up with Jessops?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by IvorETower, Mar 2, 2020.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I accidentally bought a step-down ring from SRB instead of a step-up (it was late...), and they replaced it without charge. Given that postage in the first place was about the cost of the thing, I can't imagine they made much out of me.

2. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Re the extended warranty thing, I always ask if it's a good idea. Invariably, they answer yes, to which I reply that the item can't be very good, and so I won't be buying it. Suddenly, the extended warranty vanishes and the item becomes more reliable!! :D

RovingMike likes this.
  3. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I can remember visiting SRB before they expanded, and when their premises was something like a shed in a Luton garden. Excellent service, but since their expansion, I've used their website. (I can also remember visiting the original Jessops in the centre of Leicester on one of their rare "Sales" days. The queues stretched for some distance.)

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The extended warranty is a money-spinner. Since very few will actually need to use it, given that there is the manufacturers warranty anyway, it is largely the proverbial money for old rope. My view is quite simple, I do not buy extended warranties for anything, the money I save will more than pay for the repair or replacement of anything that should suffer a failure.

5. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Well, I took the train to Reading today and there is no sign that there was a Jessops there. The Oracle centre has "re-dressed" the store front into a giant advertising hoarding for the centre, no notices saying any orders/repairs should be collected from anywhere else, no contact info, nothing.

Took another train to Basingstoke where they do still have a store. It was very quiet, early afternoon and I was the only customer. Display stands and cabinets looked decidedly sparse. There were 3 sales people in the shop, all chatting away to each other. None approached me (unusual, I've been at busier times in the past and been asked if I needed help). If this carries on, I can't see that store surviving much longer. Wonder what display stock is like in other branches?

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Well, I was in the Gateshead Metrocentre store about a fortnight ago and all seemed as previously with a reasonable amount of display stock, the Camera Jungle used cabinets also had a fair amount in them. I escaped without being approached, quite unusual in that store!

7. Malcolm_Stewart

I'm envious. Since the old Jessops (i.e. that near the station) closed a few years ago, I don't reckon that there's a camera shop in Milton Keynes. (Yes, I know there's a new Jessops.) If I want to visit a proper camera shop, the nearest is Skears in Northampton, and I have bought lenses from them, and I guess the next nearest is LCE in Leamington, but that's around 50 miles away - but really, I ought to be selling my gear as it's not being used as much as it was.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Watford is 38 miles away from you, Northampton 22 and Leamington 51 and central London 56, not much of a choice but some areas have it worse.

9. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

There is a camera shop in Flitwick.
    I have bought a few things from them and always found them very helpful. Not a lot of stock but I use FUJI gear and since there is a FUJI depot in Bedford the Flitwick shop can get me stuff to look at on a next day basis.

https://www.ukcamerastore.co.uk

10. Malcolm_Stewart

Thanks to GeoffR and jchrisc for their suggestions.

I'd forgotten about SRS in Watford (I bought my scanner from their other shop decades ago) and certainly didn't know about the shop in Flitwick. Happy hunting... but, as I've already written, I really ought to be selling my gear.

11. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Fuji in Bedford were very kind to my Stepdad, who had a Fuji camera co wrong - it belonged to a charity set up with neighbourhood watch. Not sure if they fixed or replaced it free of charge, but it was very good of them.

12. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Malcolm, you're probably closer to SRS than I am!

Just remembered... Jessops in Basingstoke are pushing their corporate offer of the EM5 mk II with 14-150 lens and have plenty of leaflets about the EM5 mk III but they don't have the mk III in stock yet, and no demo model either

13. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I take the same approach, effectively self-insure. Extended warranties must be mis-selling.

14. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I also, to a large extent, Self insure. I have spent very little indeed on repairs over the last 75 years.
    Two or three times I have had to have work done under the initial guarantee. And once I had a costly repair done to a professional Braun flash that exploded in a church during a wedding. I can not remember ever having a paid for repair done on a camera.

15. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Me too. "extended" warranties that include the first 2 years already covered by the manufacturer really irritate me.

Must say though that in the case of Bosch / Siemens products, extended warranties are quickly becoming sensible precautions. Had to fully replace a built-in washing machine and plate warmer within 6 years. Bosch repair guy was surprised they lasted that long.

16. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Our previous washing machine was a Bosch, bought because I thought it would be a reliable bit of kit. We also got less than 6 years out of it. Replaced with an LG, which apparently has a direct drive motor with a 10 year warranty, according to the sticker on the machine.