1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the Story behind your profile name?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Amberly, Dec 27, 2013.

1. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

You were christened willie45? How odd! :p

2. NosamLuap

NosamLuap Rebmem Roines

I use my name reversed, not because of cowardice, but because this forum (as with most others) already had 'Paul Mason' registered.

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Olybacker,

If I worried about all the things about which I am continually warned, I'd be dead by now of stress. Especially if I read the Daily Mail.

The simple truth is that it doesn't take long to find out who ANYONE is, or where they live. Yes, I've had people use my name to put offensive rubbish up on line, but my name and face are not unknown and I have to say that "identity theft" is something I refuse to worry about unduly.

In fact I have the unkind suspicion that those who so kindly warn us about identity theft are trying to distract us from the vast amount of surveillance to which we are all subjected. I speak as one whose phone has been tapped, whose mail has been intercepted, and who has been singled out at LAX airport for a "conversation" about what I was doing in Russia...

It's quite a long and amusing story, which begins with my great-great grandfather losing all his money, and my great grandmother (in the tradition of pissed-off ex-rich girls) joining the Party in 1917. Her children were all on the hard left of the Labour Party -- the sort that regard Wedgie Benn as a dangerous revisionist -- and my father started out on the left of the Conservative Party but now reads the Torygraph. Combine this with a fan who worked for Avtoexport in Addis Ababa in the late 1980s, and lived in Moscow, and a old anarchist friend who is well known to the Special Branch...

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  4. Roger Hicks

Dear Paul,

Well, yes, that makes perfect sense, and indeed I had worked out your real name long ago, before you gave it; as I suspect, had many others. But you also use your "real" name. How many terrible things have happened to you as a result?

Often, I suspect, made-up names and a refusal to use a real name are "keyboard pugilism": people who feel brave behind a cloak of (probably imagined) anonymity and without face to face contact, and who will therefore say things they'd never dream of saying in the real world.

Cheers,

R.

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I speak on the forum as I speak in real life....hence my avatar:eek:

6. Vivid Blue

Vivid Blue Well-Known Member

When I set up my profile I owned a car in the colour 'Vivid Blue'. I was struggling for a name but thought that sounded pretty good

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

One thing I should say is that when this forum was young (over a decade ago), we (the users) more or less insisted that everyone provided some sort of real name to communicate with.

8. NosamLuap

NosamLuap Rebmem Roines

None that I'm aware of!

I much prefer real names, hence I use "real" details in my signature. The benefit outweighs the risk IMHO.

9. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Mine is quite simple - when I was born there were three Rogers in the family, Old Rog, Young Rog and Little Rog (me). In due course a fourth was added and no longer being quite so little I became Roger Mac to the family

10. Roger Hicks

Dear Roger,

A family much given to Rogering...

(I'd not have dared post this were I not named after my Uncle Roger).

Cheers,

R.

11. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

And a surprising number of my relations have birthdays in late September

12. Ellar

Ellar Member

Mine is quite simple, Ellar phonetic of first letters of my name Leo Rumley, LR.
    As an aside, I won £110 pounds on a horse called Amberleigh House ( different spelling I know ), in the 2004 Grand National, first and only win, paid out £98 on washing machine repair the next day, just my luck!

13. silhouette53

silhouette53 Member

I was born in 1953 and my favourite guitar is my Musicman 'silhouette'

14. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I come from a long line of willies ;)

15. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Nice axe :)

16. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

Mine was my username years ago on CiX and it's also on my car as N5PUR.

17. Mikerocks

Mikerocks Well-Known Member

I'm a geologist called Mike and the name Rockman (courtesy of an ex and much missed girlfriend) was already taken.

Mike

18. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Only if you actually hide behind it. I have had this 'second' web based name for over a decade now and I am just as likely to answer to my forum name as I am to answer to my real one, online or in reality. With so much in our lives forced on to us by circumstance, our species, our race, our nationality, our gender, our name... why not take the opportunity to be a little bit imaginative and set yourself aside from the twenty seven thousand other Roger Hicks on the planet? It is a forum name - no one is forcing you to have it on your driving licence, and no one is forcing you to hide behind it either.

On names themselves, in a place such as the Internet where billions of people can potentially come together in the same place, a chosen handle may be better placed to set one aside from the crowd than your birth-designated tag... To quote Douglas Adams audio version of Hitch Hikers Guide:

[h=1]“You ARE Zaphod Beeblebrox?'
    'Yeah,' said Zaphod, 'but don't shout it out or they'll all want one.'
    'THE Zaphod Beeblebrox?'
    'No, just A Zaphod Beeblebrox. Didn't you hear, I come in six packs.'"[/h]

Going back to the thread topic, my own chosen handle was borrowed from a character I related to in the comic 2000AD. It is remarkable how easily people misread it as 'Avatar' :p. 'Atavar' is taken from the term 'Atavism' or 'Atavistic', meaning a recurring past trait (like ginger hair skipping a generation, or in the comics case, a reanimated human from his extinct race ;)). It was something of an omen really, as five years after I had taken the name for use on another forum, I returned to photography and found that digital had changed the landscape drastically. I really was a recurring past photographer out of his time. Haha, what a rose tinted way to read into it, it was all just coincidence but that's the way it panned out.

19. Skyehammer

Skyehammer Well-Known Member

I used a profile name because I thought I had to , I thought it was the done thing on the internet .
    I chose ' Skyehammer ' as I'm from Skye [ for the last 25 years anyway ] , and I'm a West Ham United follower .

My real name is Peter H. L . Williams , originally from Anglesey , General of my Television Zapper , Commander of My Lounge , wonderful Father to two beautiful children , and Husband to a very fortunate English Lady .
    I fear no man .

20. Roger Hicks

Dear Peter,

A noble answer, sir!

Cheers,

R.