1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats my lens?-follow up

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by jhill, Nov 18, 2001.

1. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

This is the story.
    Three weeks ago I bought the lens in question (Maxxum AF APO TELE ZOOM 80-200mm 1:2.8(32)) from a local camera shop. Although it was a bit scruffy (turns out it was a minimum of eight years old) they said it was a good quality lens and it had just been serviced by Minolta.I pointed out a mark od one of the internal lenses. The shop said it was just a bit of dust or something and it will eventually shift in use. I was rather dubious of this, but then he said it had just been serviced and came with 3 month guarantee. I gave it a whizz on my camera, it seemed O.K. so I bought it.
    A week later I was out shooting and the focus got stiffer until it started to lock up. Oh bugger.
    To cut a long story short,I e-maild Minolta who confirmed it had been serviced and I should return it to them. I took it myself. They said it probably needed re-adjustment and they would clean the "dirt" off the lens. I phoned them four days later and was told it needed new focusing parts and a new internal lens(it was NOT dirt).The parts were on order from Japan estimated time 3 weeks MINIMUM.
    I politely told them I could not do without it that long without much hope they could do it any faster. The receptionist asked me to hold. A few minuits later she told me the manager had decided to exchange the lens for me. Wow, I thought, thats good of them, and I bet the excange lens will be in even better condition than my one was.
    Four hours later I collected a brand new 80-200 F2.8 Apo tele "G" worth over £1000.
    "We couldn't have you going without your lens for too long, now could we"
    I was literally dumbstruck.
    A very, very big thank you to Minolta U.K. for quite outstanding service.
    And a big thank you also to RonM from the forum.If you hadn't given me the link to Minoltas help line in the first place I would have just taken the lens back for a refund.

<i>Ignorance is bliss-I am a very happy bunny<i>

2. Canonball

Canonball Well-Known Member

That's what I call service. Well Done Minolta!/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Geoff

3. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Brilliant of them! A big thumbs up there./img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Get out and get shooting!!

4. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

John,

Glad to be of help you jammy so and so, one of the reasons I myself plumped for Minolta is the freely available help and assistance, when I bought my Dynax 600 Si second hand it didn't come with the instruction manual, so I thought I'd chance my arm and phoned minolta, asking how much for an instruction manual for my S/H 600 Si, "No problem Sir we'll post you one out to-day no charge" and 2 days later it arrived. With that type of service I was sold and I'm delighted to see that they are still setting excellent standards of 'customer care'

Regards
    <font color=blue>Ron (Minolta Fan) M FRIPN

5. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

I am, indeed,very fortunate. This sort of occurence MAKES you want to stick with them, and I will.
    The lens is a beauty and at 1.2Kg bloody heavy!
    I am scared to get the thing out in public!

&lt;i&gt;Ignorance is bliss-I am a very happy bunny&lt;i&gt;

6. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Er, john re. "I am scared to get the thing out in public!" We are still talking lens here aren't we?......Yes! Phew, that's a relief!
    Big(The phantom flasher of Notty Ash)Will

7. TimF

I should hope so, if it weighs 1.2 Kg /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

8. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

Thankfully I do not suffer from elephantitis of the nether regions.
    Hang on a minuit, why is Big Will called BIG Will? is it because he .....???
    And will someone please confirm if I am spelling "minuit" correctly it looks a bit odd to me and I can't find my dictionary.

9. TimF

its "minute" John! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif and you can take that however you want.

10. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

Thank heavens for that , I thought I was loosing my marbles. It's funny how you can suddenly start misspelling a word you've written a thousand times before.

11. Canonball

Canonball Well-Known Member

Don't werry abowt it John, I do it all the tyme!/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Mind you, I lost my marbles long ago./img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Geoff

12. BigWill

Just a minute, didn't Jan ask which minuet you preferred in another post a minute ago? I know this is a minutiae but these minute details are important to me, unlike Peter Minuit, that well known Dutch Colonial administrator, who didn't really care about such things. Oh well, I'm off for a "Jimmy Riddle". Be back in a minute.
    BigWill

13. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

Oh, Christ.
    Ta ,Will, I'm of to see a therapist

14. BigWill

therapist? No....thereasober!
    BigWill

15. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

Oh, Mother! What have I done to deserve this?

J(bad joke book at the ready)Hill

16. Col. Hogan

Col. Hogan Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear that. I recently sent my secondhand Minolta film scanner in for service. I got a written estimate in the mail and am now waiting for it to be returned to me. I hope they get it all sorted out as I want to be scanning my film and slides. Right now, most of my pics are scanned at the photo shop and printed on their machine. I then take the print home and scan it on the flatbed. Very inefficient and expensive.

Diane FRIPN

17. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

Just being nosey here, but how much did they charge you? (if you don't mind telling)

18. Col. Hogan

Col. Hogan Well-Known Member

I sent you a private message.

Diane FRIPN

19. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

I hope my wife doesn't read it ;-)