1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What's down there?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by RovingMike, Aug 7, 2020.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Two holes have appeared in our lawn (credit card for scale, they're not paying). Any thought on what could have made them? They seem to go a long way straight down.

[​IMG]P8071873 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]P8071871 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

They look like vole holes to me

RovingMike likes this.
  3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Bees? I remember coming across one once in the grass, but it was in a small incline, probably to keep dry. Or maybe a mouse hole?

4. Catriona

Picture of a bumble bee nest hole.
    bumble bee nest.jpg

5. RovingMike

Hmm they look the same. Now I'm puzzled. Was just about to set traps for voles. Does look like vole holes I've seen online.

6. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Smoke em out, you'll soon see what's in there.

7. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Set up a wildlife camera trap and enjoy the antics of whatever it is.

S

John Farrell, Fen and Catriona like this.
  8. RovingMike

If they are voles, there are dire warnings online about the damage they do. And they reproduce at a fearsome rate.

9. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Could be Chafers...

10. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I think it's voles. Looks a bit large for bees and you would have probably seen them coming and going.

RovingMike, Learning and daft_biker like this.
  11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

If it is a bees nest and it wasn't there a short while ago then it will be very obviously busy. A vole is more likely - they are surprisingly large. I see them cross the road when I am out cycling. I would think they'd not like disturbance, nor being exposed to predators. Just cut the lawn a lot.

12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Voles are owl food. Good in the wild, not good in your garden.(unless you have an owl family on the property). Voles are like small rats; they carry disease. Because people with Chinese virus have passed it onto their semi feral cats I would expect much rodent vermin also to be infected. We see voles in our country park as an asset. I would not want voles in my garden,

13. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

It could be a cuckoo. I'm sure I just heard one.

Catriona likes this.
  14. Catriona

You sure did! :rolleyes:

Learning likes this.
  15. RovingMike

Well I think we are short of owls so there are a couple of traps under covers out tonight. We'll see what happens. Not seen any bees going in and out for sure.

16. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

You need a borescope camera.

17. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

If there's three in a line someone might have been in your garden playing cricket ? :rolleyes:

gray1720 and RovingMike like this.
  18. RovingMike

So online they said use rat traps, as they are bigger than mice. So did that and the perisher ate the peanut butter off the platform and didn't trigger it, even though it was right on the edge. Think the spring was too powerful and it needed to jump on it. Will try mousetraps tonight.

19. RovingMike

Well, one down, no idea how many to go. According to my ID a field vole.

[​IMG]P8091878 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

daft_biker likes this.
  20. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Ahh, that's nice. Even made a coffin for it.