1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Would You Like Next From Sony

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Gordon_McGeachie, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

Heres my thoughts

1. 32+mp and full frame
    2. Magnesium chassis with brass top and bottom plates with fully weather and dust sealed buttons.
    3. Shutter range of 60 seconds to 1/12000th
    4. +/- 5 Ev bracketing range with one button press ( press and release)activation
    5. 100% Pentaprism viewfinder
    6. 10fps frame rate (15 with additional battery grip)
    7. X-700 style shutter button with touch sensitive activation for metering and focussing
    8. Multi point eye selection a/f
    9. ISO 51,200

2. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

Reduce the prices of their lens, batteries, etc, for one thing. Also a F2.8 24-70mm (I know, Sigma do one).

3. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

> 32+mp and full frame

Why are people still so hooked of high MP?

Surely less noise would be better?

4. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

24mp will give an A2 at 300 (odd) dpi. How big is one likely to want to print. I see the a900 as having the potential, for all practical purposes, of consigning my 4x5 to the showcase.

5. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

It already exists, <here> is one seller ... there may well be better deals.

6. Roger_Provins

Just to get this megapixel thing a little into perspective. For years I've scanned my 35mm slides and negatives with my venerable Canoscan US 4000 .... the resulting files are guess what .... 24 megapixles :)

7. DaveG40

DaveG40 Well-Known Member

As Steve says. Lower / sensible pricing & "logical" thinking/marketing, e.g. A300 only available in Jessops ??.

Hands up anyone without deep pockets who'd rush out and buy the Sony 18-250 over the Tamron ?. If anyone can explain why Sony are knocking out excellent cameras at cracking prices and yet charging over the odds for lenses & flash units etc, please let me know, it certainly baffles me.

8. DaveG40

On the camera front: An R2 or H Series with larger sensor.

9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

The full version of Gran Tourismo for PS3.

....oh you mean cameras? Would be nice to see Sony do something to rival the Canon MP-E 65mm. And if they could make the IS work with it I'd be most impressed :) (Apparently IS doesn't work with the Minolta 1-3x. No idea why tho!)

10. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

For the avoidance of doubt I'm not decrying the a900. I'm suggesting that 32MP may be more than is realy necessary. I want an a900, I've spent the last 18 months showing my wife Ds1 iii s as a softening up process. :D

By the way I'll bet the a900 gives you better files for your 24MP than the scanner does.

11. Roger_Provins

... without doubt :)

12. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

A cheap body price buys you into the system. For most people once your in all you won't move on. Then they can shaft you will all the accessory prices (applies to all OEMs)

13. DaveG40

I think that goes without saying, however by having the minolta mount & thereby allowing Alpha users the benefit of some very high quality "Minolta" glass & at "affordable" prices I do think Sony's shot themselves in the foot by having high price Sony branded lenses & flash units etc, I only have one Sony lens: the kit lens, the others are Minolta, Sigma & Tamron. I dare say if they Lopped off £100 off of a 18-250, they'd make far more money than they are now, as currently the Tamron looks the far better & cheaper option, the same goes for the A300, had it been widely available & not just in Jessops I dare say many more would have bought that instead of the A200, I would've, which brings me back to my original point: Sony's pricing & logical thinking, why waste time and money bringing out a camera and yet only restrict to one unpopular retailer, & why bring out very similar lenses to what's already available & charge an extra £100?.

Would I be right, or wrong to say that Sony prices it's lenses and flash guns at a higher price than "most" other manufacturers ?.

14. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Andy, AFAIA the Canon MP-E 65mm is the canon equivalent to the Minolta 3x - 1x Michael Hohner Review but unlike the canon unit the 3x -1x does AF, I think the issue with IS/AS is that Macro is pretty much static shooting so either using a tripod or stand, and inbuilt IS/AS is not recommended on any lens when using on a tripod or static. I would be surprised if you couldn't use IS/AS with the 3x - 1x.
    It's a shame I can't let you know for sure, it's just that a few years ago I had the chance of the Minolta 3x - 1x lens and/or the 135 f/2.8 T4.5 STF lens and I went for the STF, in hindsight I wish I had got both :(. IS/AS does work with the 135 f/2.8 T4.5 STF :D

15. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Thanks for the info on the 3-1x Ron :cool: I hadn't seen the stand or the case never mind read about the way the focus motor only works in auto with no manual override (never even knew it had a focus motor!!). IS is probably the least of your worries trying to use that hand held! Comparing it to the Canon MP-E the Minolta looks awkward to hold and slow to use - the MP-E is just a round lens like most others and the manual only "focus" lets me go from 1x to 5x in a couple of seconds opposed to 12 second to go from 1x to 3x on the Minolta. For doing focus stacks on a tripod the integrated focus rail on the Minolta sounds like just the ticket as trying to align the MP-E accurately enough is a pain. They're perhaphs not as similar to use as I thought before :D

Looked up that STF lens too...sounds like a nice piece of kit indeed :)

16. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Oh it is, it really is and to be honest I've not used it for what it was intended for, but will, maybe if I do get the alpha 900 then I can really find a good and proper reason to go get some truly amazing portraits.
    The STF is built like a M1 Abrams Tank, all metal and glass, I think if you dropped it, the ground would come off second best :)