1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you do with £1000?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by JerryNash, May 24, 2011.

1. JerryNash

JerryNash Well-Known Member

Well, i have been fortunate enough (in a sense) to come into some inheritance, so before the wife gets any ideas i'm going to spent it sharpish.

I sold my k200d a couple of months ago. All i have left of my affiliation to Pentax is an 18-250mm Tamron and a Metz 48AF flash gun.

I suppose this is my opportunity to jump ship, if i wished, and start again with a different marque, but i don't really want to go to the 'big boys', even though in some ways it would make more sense. I've also considered 'going mirrorless', but i already own a Samsung EX1 so i didn't see much use in the smaller option (unless i went for a GF1 which i really do like) despite the greater freedom CSC offers.

So really it comes down to what options pentax have to offer... unless some can provide an alternative (I must say i do like the look of the D7000 and the 60D, but i can't quite face going to the dark side)...

Well, leaving a K200D behind, i don't think the Kr (and definitely the Kx) is that much of a step up, so that would mean considering a K7 or K5.

For £1000 i could get a body only K5 and have just about enough for a round of drinks afterwards. But a K7, despite not being quite 'there' in terms of AF, continuous shooting and high ISO quality, i could get body only for £625, or get the 1 or 2 kit zooms for less than £800, leaving me enough to maybe get a couple of decent lenses on top.

What do you guys think?

Despite the cost saving i wonder whether ultimately the K5 is the better option long term... :S

2. DeeJay

DeeJay Well-Known Member

Well I'm new to the photography world really, so a more experienced person may well come along and nonsense my 2peneth but here goes...

I reckon you need to look at what you shoot regularly and what you intend to shoot going forwards. I mean if you mainly shoot landscapes, then the extra shots you get with the continuous shooting is not really an added extra for you. Where as if you are shooting lots of sports or fast moving objects then the extra frame rate and better AF may well come in handy as well as the higher ISO capabilities.

I myself have given myself a new years resolution to try and save for the best glass available to me for my given needs. Good lens's are an investment, bodies can always be replaced or part exchanged towards a newer one.

I'd therefore go for the K7 with a decent lens or two if you can get a good deal.

Don't forget that your money would go a lot further in the second hand world too....

Let us know what you decide to get in the end.

Dave.

3. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

I have owned all of the Pentax bodies from the K10D to the K-5 and still have the K-7 as a backup. if I were in your shoes, I would still go for the K-5. I am selling the K-7, not because it is in any way faulty, but it simply cannot compare to the K-5 in so many ways.

I know that good lenses are important and expensive, but without a high resolution body with unbelievable high ISO performance and fast autofocus, they are not performing at their best anyway.

On the other hand, the Nikon D7000 is a very attractive alternative. The 3D autofocus is faster, more reliable and locks on to moving objects better than the K-5. It has the same sensor and so the same high ISO performance. The downside to the Nikon kit is that the lenses are stabilised, not the body, so they are dearer and backward compatibility, although good, is not as good as with Pentax.

I have a lot of Pentax stuff, lenses, extension tubes, two top end flash guns and more, so to swap now would need a King's ransom. If I won the lottery tomorrow, I would ditch the lot and buy Nikon. The lenses are just superb and so is the D7000/D700 combo.

Dream on MacDuff! :):)

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I think you'd probably be happier sticking with Pentax. Not sure what you've against Canon and Nikon nor why but it seems highly likely you'd be dissatisfied with one of their bodies regardless of how well spec'd or capable it is.

There's nothing inherently wrong with Pentax and their latest kit is as good as anyone's so why not stay with them.

5. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Easy one! I'd get the K5, and start saving for a set of Limited lenses, starting with the DA40/2.8 - but that's just me. :) At least I could carry on taking pictures with the Tamron, which I believe is relatively good as superzooms go.

Justification: The Sony sensor in the K5 is IMHO the best APS-C sensor currently available, and while it also appears in other bodies from Nikon and Sony themselves, only the K5 can easily be mounted with the Pentax Limiteds.

I guess I could get a D7000 and start saving for some Zeiss ZF primes, but that would take a lot more saving. I'd probably miss the in body anti shake at some point too.

Putting my (more) serious hat on, Dave (Deejay) has probably the best advice. What I've said above aplies to me and what I like to shoot. What you like is probably different. But if you go for a K-7, don't bother with the kit lenses - get it body only, and put the money towards a good lens suited to what you like to shoot - your Tamron is probably pretty much as good as the kit lenses over most of the range (unless you really like shooting in the rain - then the WR Pentax kit lenses might be worth it! :) )

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I would go to a good camera shop and try them before making a decision.

There is no point in getting a superior camera unless you can get the superior lens to go with it. So, after handling the cameras, look at the second-hand pages for lenses and see what you can find for your chosen body. The lens is more important than the body so that is where I would be putting the money, were it not for the fact that you don't have a body.

7. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Re: What would you do with £1000? Easy-peasy (for me)

Hi Jerry,

If I got a thousand quid, I would probably hide it away :eek:, so on my
    next venture cross the pond I would have cash available and not have to
    rely on my bank card so much :)

As for here (Vancouver), I would convert in to Canadian $$ -- 1550(ish) --
    and pick up a second(2nd) K-r body (no WR but "I" like the High ASA, fps and
    AF capability) and then a DA10-17 to tagteam with my Tamron 18-250 lens:)

After those (and our annoying sales taxes), I would still have around $400
    to play with or save/put toward a tkt to LHR ;)

EDIT: Also, I should mention that I had two(2) K200D's, bought my K-r, sold one(1) K200D
    and my DA12-24 :)

cheers,

jack

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The big difference between Pentax and the CN opposition is body stabilisation.
    If you want to use stabilisation with fast 1.4 primes then stick with Pentax. Although I am a Nikon user I almost bought a Pentax body and very expensive lens for this one reason alone.
    If you are into hand held telephotography then look at C&N.
    As to what to do with a windfall then how about the new NS&I index linked. Although intended for five years you get the index linking after only one year. Locking the cash away for at least a year prevents kneejerk purchases. I have just dropped k£10 there.

9. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

I would buy a K-5 with the 18-55mm WR kit zoom. Even if advertised prices are more, you should be able to negotiate a price just under £1000.00

With this weatherproof kuit you can then venture forth in the best of weather and the worst of weather.

10. cgproudfoot

cgproudfoot Well-Known Member

My K7 continues to do what I need so I would probably look at upgrading my DA16-45 for the DA*16-50 and still have change for going places to take pictures :).

Am off to Uganda in 10 days so hope to get some wildlife.

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

K-5 + 35mm DAL f2.4. :cool:

12. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

'ello Mr. Proudfoot .... been a long time :). Are you saying that Chester
    nightlife no longer does it for you :rolleyes:

Good lens choice, but, me thinks you might need a wee bit longer
    for animals in Uganda ;)

Happy trails and good shooting :)

Cheers,

Jack

13. cgproudfoot

cgproudfoot Well-Known Member

Jack,

Thanks for your post. Yes I will need longer so hopefully my FA300 F4.5 will do the trick! I do not want to get too close :)

Chris

14. JerryNash

Hi guys, thanks for all the input. I must say, had the budget been a bit greater - maybe £1200 - there would be no question I would go for a K5. But as it is I managed to get a bit if a bargain and managed to bag a k7 with 18-55 wr lens fresh out of the box for £560 - half the street price of a k5 with the same lens. God bless currys 20% off bank holiday weekend special. Now I can put the remainder of the money into a decent lens. Then in a few years when the k5 comes down in price I can upgrade with ease! Happy days! :)

15. DeeJay

DeeJay Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your new purchase, I hope you really love it! :D

I picked myself up a Tamron 90mm Macro lens in the Currys special. Crazy price compared to anywhere else, even online!

Look forward to seeing some pics from the new camera on here. :D

16. JerryNash

Thanks, i'm now busy scouring the internet for some decent 2nd hand lenses, though i may start with the 35mm 2.4. The tamron will do as a zoom (albeit not the greatest) for now, what i want is a couple of decent primes (and a macro, a fisheye, a ultra wide angle, etc etc etc)... ;-)

17. DeeJay

DeeJay Well-Known Member

Oh, it never ends! :D

My wife agreed to the Macro lens purchase, providing there weren't any more purchases for a while... :( :confused:

Still Christmas isn't too far away now... :D

18. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

I'd stop being a mean ******* and take the wife off to a nice hotel for a weekend of luxury.

Now what on earth is wrong with using a perfectly respectable word for illegitimate?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  19. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

^^^^WHS^^^^

Whenever I have had that sort of windfall I have (roughly) followed Brian's advice - believe me it pays off in the long run.

20. JerryNash

Well, in the end i inadvertently followed this course of action. The camera + 18-55mm was only £560 so put half the money towards the camera and the rest has gone into the (joint) savings account to be spent when we go on holiday in July.

Out of my own funds i have purchased the 35mm 2.4 DAL. Not sure whether to go for another prime next (something like the 70mm limited) or a macro, either way i'll be saving for a long time!