1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What will happen to the entry level DSLRs now

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by alanjmartin, Oct 4, 2018.

1. alanjmartin

alanjmartin New Member

Hoping some of you guys will have more of an idea what is going on than I have. I have been looking at buying a Canon for some time now... mainly the EOS80d. With all this mirrorless stuff now I am even more confused. Will there be a lower level mirrorless equivalent of the 80d... ?
    Apologies if this is a stupid question

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Not in the least. The problem is my crystal ball's on the blink so I can't advise on the next round of releases. ;) In all seriousness: Canon already have the medium cost M series so my guess is they'll be adding to that to get some synthesis with the FF mirrorless range.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don't have a crystal ball either but there will not be parallel products e.g. one mirrored to go against one mirrorless. Whether or not the cost of mirrorless will sometime in the future decrease is an open question. The premium market seems to be building first. When people pay, whatever it is, more than a £1000 for a phone with a point and shoot capability (albeit of good quality now) the motive must be to sell them more expensive cameras!

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Arguably the M5 is equivalent to the 80D, the specs are very similar... If you mean will there be an entry level version of the EOS R my crystal ball is also a bit foggy. I suppose there are ways of reducing the cost; Sony can manage to produce a full frame mirrorless for less than £1000 so I see no reason why Canon can't do the same in the long term. Sony do have the advantage that their APS series cameras have the same mount as the full frame models so there is a potentially simpler upgrade route from entry level APS to full frame without necessarily having to replace lenses (provided most lenses owned are full frame of course). As it stands upgrading from Canon's M series to the full frame R series would require changing not only the body but lenses too (ignoring EF/S lenses) which may be an added expense. I see no reason why they couldn't put an APS sensor in the R type body to bring the cost down but I'm not sure that is currently an option they are looking at.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Why ignore EF-S? It's where most people with APS-C Canons are...

The EOS M series is primarily designed to be ultra-compact. It has had no direct path to full frame since it has existed, and I don't see why it needs it. I am confident it will continue much as it is. The M5 is in many ways a smaller version of the 80D, as has been said.
    There will certainly be a much wider range of R series cameras, and Canon have shown no fear of having models in every niche, so there probably will be some lower-end models - well, certainly will be.
    But also, DSLRs won't go anywhere for as long as there are profitable sales, so there is almost certain to be an 80D replacement along before too much longer. Canon aren't Sony, so won't drop anything they can make money on and won't try to force consumers down a certain path - the scars of the FD mount are still fresh, if you talk to any Canon insiders.

6. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

The key is that if you buy an 80D now and Canon release a cheap entry level mirrorless, your 80D continues to be an exceptional camera that can do everything you want.

7. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

If you delay long enough and the model is replaced, you can then start all over again. The EOS 80D is an APS-C (half frame) 24 megapixel model, so make sure you compare it with a mirrorless body with the same size sensor when looking at prices and body size. Sometimes having too much choice is not helpful.

I've just looked up the current price of a new Canon EOS 80D: about £900 after a £100 cashback offer, which suggests that shelves are being cleared before its replacement arrives in time for the Christmas retail season. If this is correct, once its replacement arrives this model may then be sold off at an even better price. I purchased my both first DLSR in 2007, and its replacement a few years later, as discontinued models when they were being sold off like this. If buying today, I would probably look at mint-condition secondhand models because there are so many more available now. One that was a top model 2 or 3 years ago will still be a very good camera now.

Also, you don't say if what you hope to buy is your first camera body, or a replacement.
    If the former, buy it now and spend many years happily using it and learning how to get the best from it, and ignore reviews of new models until you are certain that you have 'outgrown' it (which may never happen, leaving you to spend your funds on lenses).
    If the latter, do you have any lenses of a particular fitting that you will want to use on the new body, possible with an adaptor? If so, a mirrorless body used with an adaptor may be more flexible than a DSLR.

A final question - do you intend to get large prints done? If not, the differences between a £900 and a £2,000 camera body may not be important, and a £400 camera body may be more than adequate. You haven't said what you want to do with the camera.

8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I am a Nikon user but I answer here in the Canon room because we Nikonites have the same question. The question is not stupid. It is a valid question. There is as yet no valid answer.
    For a newcomer to either system wanting to buy at an entry level I would suggest a second hand DSLR. The future is mirrorless but there are no decent entry level Canon or Nikon mirrorless bodies. Buy something that does the job now but can be considered expendible in a couple of years' time.

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Is there ever really an absolutely right time to buy anything? There are certainly wrong times, but you can hold off buying anything as long as you like, there will always be something new and/or allegedly better just round the corner. Most improvements in performance are now incremental, rather than quantum leaps, an EOS 80D is unlikely to disappoint and will turn out decent results for years.

The various full-frame mirrorless cameras do indeed look interesting, but just look at the price of even a modest outfit, few of us can really justify it, even if we can finance it. What mirrorless does do is remove the Achilles Heel of the SLR/DSLR camera, namely the flapping mirror, which restricts lens design and can induce vibration, replacing it with the weakness of the mirrorless for many, the electronic viewfinder. Many find these difficult or impossible to use. Some are better than others, I actually traded my Fuji X-T20 in for a used X-T2 as after handling the latter I found the larger viewfinder was far superior (thank you LCE for having the Fuji demos and costing me money:oops:).

10. alanjmartin

alanjmartin New Member

Well well... Thanks everyone... I didnt think it possible but I probably partly agree with almost everyone.The last SLR I had was film. Since then I have toyed with a number of Point and shoot cameras, all very interesting but.... :-(
    I may be retiring soon and I feel that it may now be the time to "stick my toe back in the water"...
    My main interests are likely to be outdoor, both animals and landscape,,, althout I have been reading a lot about astro recently, but that is way down the road.

The other concern is that it is not only the camera, but also the new PC (at a reasonable standard) and something like Lightroom...

thanks for the feed back.... Hopefully you have not heard tha last of me.....

Alan

11. PeteRob

Indeed don't under-estimate this aspect. The monitor is important too. Then add the calibration tools. Then there is the fun of choosing a printer if you are so minded :)

12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

As a general point I'd argue that this whole calibration thing depends entirely on what sort of photography interests you. Many people will be all the happier if they don't dive down that particular rabbit hole. As is often the case: everyone has different needs and desires.

13. PeteRob

I sort of agree, it very much depends on what editing you do. I agree that if images are not edited so as to change colours then it isn't that critical. Images may look different on different monitors but most people only look at one monitor at a time and get used to the look. I print my own and use a double monitor set up, an iMac and an external NEC display. Uncalibrated they are vastly different, the iMac is bright and blue and the NEC is dark and distinctly brown in comparison.

14. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I've never bothered with calibrations. My prints come out from the printer much the same as I'm seeing on my monitor. Good enough for me anyway.

EightBitTony, RogerMac and nimbus like this.