1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What tools do you use for image background removal?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by StarWarsCoolDown, Mar 11, 2021.

1. StarWarsCoolDown

StarWarsCoolDown New Member

Curious to know tools you use and how much you pay for it?

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Serif Affinity Photo.Full price is about £50 but presently about £25. There is a free trial available.
    I previously used Adobe Photoshop but dropped it when Adobe moved to a subscription model.

All the packages that do what you want also will do much more. There are plenty to choose from.
    You can expect a steep learning curve if you have not used this sort of software before.
    I suggest that you always make safe copies of your files before starting work.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. Cutting out backgrounds and replacing them (e.g changing skies) isn’t something I’ve done but I’d turn to Photoshop if I had to because I subscribe to the Adobe photography plan (it’s about £100 per year) to use Lightroom and Photoshop comes with it.

I’d expect GIMP which is open-source (free) to have that capability too.

4. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I'm still managing with Micrografx Picture Publisher v10 (2002 vintage) Started with V2 back in 1992, came with my first scanner, upgraded with freebies on magazines. Corel bought it in 2002,pinched what they wanted then buried it.

5. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I use a 12 year old copy of Photoshop Elements 7.

However, careful use of a shallow depth if field, and trying to choose a viewpoint that avoids thing I don't want in the background, usually helps a lot. Prevention is simpler than cure...