1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What shutter count for Canon EOS?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Pete Bony, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Pete Bony

Pete Bony Well-Known Member

Can anyone suggest what a "reasonable shutter count" might be (On average) for a Canon 400D and a 550D would be before one might expect to think about things "starting to go wrong" please?
    I have one of each model (A 400D and a 550D) and even though they are getting on a bit they both preform and work excellently without showing any faults whatsoever but I would be interested in knowing when I might have to think about replacing them. I only use them as "hobby cameras" so they do not get "over used" but I do enjoy using them whenever I get the time and chance to!

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

3. Pete Bony

Pete Bony Well-Known Member

Many thanks for that Tony, it's given me "peace of mind".
    If the links you found are anything to go by both of my cameras have plenty of life left in them as the highest shutter count is only around 7500.:)

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

On another forum a member has a high shutter count Nikon, he asked for a quote to replace the shutter and was given a price. He was also told, if it works properly, leave it alone. Now I will admit that the pro spec Nikons have very robust shutters and 500,000 cycles isn’t unreasonable and you have consumer spec cameras but I would expect them to be good well beyond 100,000 cycles.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Use them until they break or you have some other reason to change. The life time of any specific shutter is unknown but a camera in regular use should do more than 100,000 - 150,000 exposures. That's a lot. I guess people who do a lot of sport with camera on max burst and take 20 exposures plus looking for one result do wear cameras out but that's to be expected.

6. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

interesting topic...
    I always ask the shutter count when buying used cameras. contrary to popular belief, its not the shutter count that actually bothers me, but knowing gives the would-be 2nd owner a glimpse of the cameras past life. I think its fair to say that a camera with a high shutter count will have had its buttons and dials pressed many many more times than a low shutter count model, also the LCD will have been used for much longer periods, the card slots will have seen much much more action as will the battery terminals from the constant battery changes. All this gives me an important insight as to how much wear and tear the camera has had. Now given the choice between sub 10k model and 60k+ with the price difference being something as silly as £50quid, and knowing the repair costs will be many many times that amount, Ill leave the high shuuter count models to the bargain hunters and grab the lowest shutter count model I can afford without resorting to paying double for new.

NickM likes this.