1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What should i go for..

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by Cyberdux, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Cyberdux

Cyberdux Well-Known Member

I've already got a nikon D50, 17-55 and sigma 70-300 and various other bits 'n' peices for it..

Now i'm inthe process of "NEEDING" a new camera and have been looking at the D80 as an upgrade within my means..

Going through ebay and using the shop i used before digitalrev, they've got a few good deals with the D80, 18-135, 4Gb mem card, and a few other freebies they give you, like a lens cleaner.. for roughly £589 + £55 P&P but they pay the VAT that it'll cost when you get it..

There's also another shop on there thats got a D80 (refurb) with Tamron 28-70, 70-300, 2Gb card + 2 UV filters for about the same price, but based in the UK and only got £20 for special del..

Are these deals any good, or should i just be looking to buy a body and use the lens off the D50 and save up and buy a few other lenses (macro and 10-20 being two)..

Dux

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

What do you mean by 'NEEDING'?
    What particular aspect of the D50 is not right?

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Just buy the body and save up for some really top class lenses. There is no point in getting two lenses that match your existing ones. This would be a waste of money, you should decide on lenses based on quality not zoom range so consider these Sigma lenses 18-50 f2.8, 12-24, 10-20 and the Nikon 17-55 f2.8 as examples of pro-spec lenses. You might actually do better to get a top class lens instead of an upgrade body.

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Can't help you with the Nikon gear but very nice to see you here Dux.

5. Cyberdux

Hi roger, didn't see you here, must be getting old!!

Was also thinking about just getting the body and splashing out on the Tamron 18-250mm so i wouldn't have to change the lens when i'm out...

Dux

6. Dom_Rivers

Dom_Rivers Well-Known Member

If you want better image quality and you have a D50, believe me, it isn't the camera. Spend your money on some pro glass and maybe a bit of instruction...It'll make more difference to your pictures than a D80 body.

Have a wee look at this lot, D50'S and and not a £300.00 lens between them....

http://www.photoextract.com/photo/camera/nikon-d50/

When you've browsed the images see if you still think your D50 is holding you back..... :)

7. Moos3h

Moos3h Well-Known Member

Holy mother of all...

That is an amazing collection of photos, truly incredible.

How on earth can he get shots that look like that? He's a genius!

I was considering chopping in my D40 today, now I'm not so sure, but I AM sure I fancy a sigma 10-20mm lens!

Cheers,
    James

8. Cyberdux

I am pretty impressed by those photos myself..

Just now looking on ebay for the 10-20 and some other toys to play with..

Might still buy the D80 though as the wife said she'll give me £300 for my birthday present!!

9. fridge

fridge Well-Known Member

Glass, glass, glass all the way, 300 notes will go a long way to some cracking lenses after all the camera is only a light proof box, to progress you want top notch fast pro lenses.

10. Cyberdux

Now have a total of £800 cash to play with.. Nikon D80 Body £400, giving me £400 to buy a decent lens!

Dux

11. parisian

parisian Well-Known Member

The messages above are talking good sense Mr Dux. Why worry about the body when your cash will bring far better results by broadening your lens stable. As someone says the body is nowt but a light tight box and unless you need, really need the extra features of the D80 then it will be no more than neck jewellry.

12. Cyberdux

Looks like it will be a couple of lenses (sorry if that's wrong spelling) and maybe the SB-800 flash unit aswell as i'm going to be playing with a couple of flash units and need the commander mode, but can't get it from the D50 (unless i get a D70s instead and a SB-600)..

Dux

13. parisian

parisian Well-Known Member

Well the SB800 is very capable indeed especially in the field of balanced fill flash. I took over 600 shots at a VERY gloomy and rain hit wedding on Saturday, all of which were with flash and all on one set of 5 batteries too.(Mind you when I took them out at the end of the evening they were bl**dy hot and recharge time had come down to the time it took to sink a pint)

14. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Well, it is if we're talking film cameras. The situation isn't quite as clear cut with those digital things. Having said that though, I completely agree with those who've said improving your glass is a better step than another body.

As for Mr Macha's pictures. The two I looked at were more like a certain type of graphic painting than photographs. Didn't do anything for me I'm afraid.

15. Cyberdux

Thanks for all your advice guys 'n' gals (incase someone was) i'll be shopping around on ebay for a couple of lenses then and the SB-800 aswell.. Did think about getting a D70s body, but then i'd have to change memory cards to Compact Flash!!

Dux

16. Dom_Rivers

Dom_Rivers Well-Known Member

Amazing , last time I looked there were over 800 photo's taken by more than 40 different amateur photographers on that site, not keen on Nagl's macro either?, then what about Kuckovsky's nature shots, surely there's something on that site to tickle everyone's fancy. I'm a little unsure about Macha's post processing mind, he's got a definite "look", a sort of high grain, high saturation thing going on.