1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What program do i use to view raw images and or adjust?

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by andjayik, May 20, 2006.

1. andjayik

andjayik Member

I want to experiment with raw, what programs can view raw pictures and adjust them? Tried photoshop with no luck?

2. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Try 'Raw Shooter Essentials' available as a free download from the Pixmantec website.

Sorry I don't have the time to find the link for you.

MickLL

3. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

4. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

We forgot the obvious one of course. If it's a K-M camera that is capable of producing RAW then you should have been given the K-M software - Dimage Viewer.

It's not as good as Raw Shooter Essentials but it does the job.

MickLl

5. andjayik

andjayik Member

will shooting in raw give me the best quality in pictures?

6. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

The RAW file is the 'raw data' from the camera.

Therefore there's been no processing within the camera of the photo you took.

It'll allow you to adjust the colour temperture, hue/tint, saturation, sharpness...

Before converting it to TIFF (or JPEG).

So... In theory... Yes :)

7. andjayik

andjayik Member

What are the advantages of choosing setting raw+jpeg on a 5d?

8. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Are there any?

AFAIK - You take up more room on your memory card and that's about it.

It'd be like developing your own photos as well as getting someone else to do them as well!

9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

It might be useful if you want Boots or someone to run off a bunch of cheapie prints, saves all that mucking about with converting the RAW file first........

Does the 5D have a mono mode? Useful for keeping as a reference against those pictures you might want in mono. I've done this with my EOS 20D.

10. andjayik

andjayik Member

Why cant i open raw files in raw shooter but dimage no probs? Sure would like to use photoshop though?

11. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Have you got the current version (Essentials 2006)? 5D files are listed in the bumf as being compatible. I presume when you click on the folder(s) containing RAW images RSE is claiming "No RAW files found". I also assume that you have downloaded the files to your hard drive; I'm not sure but I don't think RSE can read them via the camera (I've never tried).

Which version of PS have you got? As I understand it Elements 4, CS and CS2 can read many RAW formats direct. Earlier versions unfortunately can't....... :(

12. andjayik

andjayik Member

essentials 2005. And they are on the hd but they appear as thm files? And i have photoshop cs2

13. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Minolta RAW files have the suffix .MRW so it seems that you may not have them on your hard disk. I said that with certainty but in truth I have a 7D and not a 5D but I can't think that they are different.

Raw shooter essentials (I use RSE 2005 version 1.1.3) opens them without problems.

If you have CS2 there's a plug in available on the Adobe site that allows direct opening of RAW files - including the Minolta ones.

Whilst we are on the subject does anyone know if the Adobe plug-in for RAW files will work with CS (as opposed to CS2) or even version 7 ?

MickLL

14. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

.thm files should be the thumbnails that your camera creates to display on it's monitor (they are for my Canon D30). They will normally be small - in the order of 20KB depending on monitor resolution.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why you appear to have the thm files without the corresponding RAW file (whatever it's designation). With the D30 they are saved in the same folder as the RAW file and I'd be surprised if the Minolta was any different.

How do you download to PC? I use a card reader and Windows Explorer to copy the files across as the Scanner & Camera Wizard doesn't recognise either file type anyway.

15. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

I confirm that thumbnails, jpgs and MRW are all in the same folder on a 5D, I've just tried it.

16. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Ain't computers weird?

I use Scanner and camera wizard to copy to HDD from a built in card reader. It happily copies .jpg and also .mrw. I can see no sign of any .thm files anywhere.

Also, using windows explorer, I can't see the folder structure on the CF card. How do I do that ?

MickLL

17. andjayik

andjayik Member

got it to work in both raw shooter and photoshop. I had 2005 raw shooter and got 2006 no probs, and installed plug in for adobe. So for 4x6 pictures which i take alot, is super fine and small be great quality for the 5d? Seems like raw is to much work.

18. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

For 6x4 you might just as well stick with JPEG. I'm not sure what print resolution figures labs use (if in doubt you can always ask) but if you assume 300ppi then a 6x4 needs to be 1800x1200 pixels or the closest the camera can come falling to 1200x800 for 200ppi. Check the manual to see which quality settings come closest. For 6x4's at 300ppi I imagine medium to fine should be OK, it'll save a bit of card space and the compression should be unnoticeable at this size. If the lab uses 200ppi then I'd suggest fine as minimum quality.

RAW is best for tricky subjects and/or lighting conditions and is the format of choice if you want top notch enlargements.

19. Jim_Bell

Jim_Bell Member

I have Minolta's Dimage Master which handles RAW files. However I prefer to use the plug Camera Raw for Photoshop. Much easier to use and so much faster. As Minolta have stopped camera production I suggest going for the Adobe product.

20. RussB

RussB Member

Hi Mick

I don't think it does, but there is another version which can be used with CS and version 7.0.1. See http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/319291.html for techie stuff, and download details.

It looks like support stops with the 7D, so if you have a 5D you need a later version of Camera Raw, which only works in CS2. That's how it looks to me anyway.

Hope that helps

Russ