1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What lenses would you pair with a Nikon D750?

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by TheIslander, Jan 20, 2021.

1. TheIslander

TheIslander New Member

Hello,
    Forum newbie here!
    I know the title question isn’t really an answerable one without knowing more, so I’ll fill you in and try my best not to make it an essay...

About to buy a Nikon D750 (upgrading heavily used, tired DX camera and lenses) and undecided whether to buy body only or with the 24-120mm f/4 and what else to get lens wise!

Budget of £3000 for camera/lenses - I don’t think I can buy used or grey market (to do with a grant I have access to which will ‘pay me back’ 50% and provider needs VAT info to claim back) awaiting confirmation on this but working on the assumption.

I am an enthusiast who makes a bit of pocket money so to speak, doing some photography for a few local businesses (very varied, has so far included clothing, food and interiors) and selling calendars, notecards etc which are landscapes!

If I went kit, I would probably add the Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 (not too tempted by the 16-35 f/4 having spoken to people who’ve used both) and would LOVE to treat myself to the Sigma Art 50mm f/1.4 which I’ve had a crush on for ages!

If I didn’t go kit I would look at getting a 24-70 f/2.8 and wouldn’t feel the need to get a 50mm prime. Budget would mean I’d be going Tamron/Sigma and I’m not sure how I feel about that - great reviews and I know third party lenses have come a long way but I’ve not owned one before and also read that consistency/quality control isn’t great which makes me wonder if native f/4 or third party f/2.8 is better...

Anything I buy with assistance from the grant I can’t sell/trade/upgrade for three years, so I want to make sure I invest in the right glass!

Sorry, ended up being an essay anyway!

Would love to hear thoughts and opinions on making the right investment!

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I don't know where you are looking to buy from but if you look at Grays of Westminster they have the older version of the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 at £1,349 and the D750 at £1,149. If you can manage with out the VR on the lens that would come in well under budget. I don't think you would get bored with the 24-70 it really is a good lens. I have no experience of the 24-120 f4 so I can't comment.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. As you anticipate, the lenses you buy should be the lenses you need to use! So it all depends on your photography.

I can say what suits me - it might not suit you of course.

For general use on a full frame camera a zoom of 24 to something is useful. I use Canon and their standard lens is a 24-105 F4 which suits me still after 13+ years of use. The next lens I bought, for more reach, was a 70-200 F2.8 (heavy, I much later got an F4 for when I have to walk far). Then I added a wide-angle, now replaced with a later and better 16-35 F4. That range (16-200 mm) is my basic kit for general photography.

In my back-up system, which is Fuji APS-C, I have a slightly, wider range in effective focal length, 10-24, 18-55, 55-200. Which covers 15-300 mm FF equivalent. The lack of overlap in the middle annoys me so I plan sometime to swap the 18-55 with a 16-80.

Otherwise I might buy lenses for specific other purposes but if I were changing systems I’d always aim to have 24-200mm (FF equivalent) covered.

4. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

The 24-120mm is a good walk around lens, but f4 can be difficult in low light, and if using a polarising filter very dark in the viewfinder. I would opt for a f2.8 zoom and 50 f1.8 or 60 f2.8 micro

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Asking that question on this website will get you a lot of answers based on limited personal experience. I've been taking pictures for well over 50 years and at one time I earned my living from it. I've used dozens of cameras and many more lenses, being something of a gear head. At the moment I own and use Nikon, Sony, Panasonic and Olympus kit.

If I was restricted to only one, I'd keep the Sony A65 and the Tamron 16-300mm lens as the most versatile. When I was doing photography for money, this would have been my dream outfit. However: what suits me might drive another photographer mad, so all recommendations should be taken with much salt!

Some examples from that outfit...

Halifax bomber at Yorkshire Air Museum A65 DSC02648.JPG DSC02648.JPG

Battery tester in use A65 DSC03465.JPG

Stilt dancer in Princesshay Exeter DSC00361.JPG

MGB sports car Langport A65 DSC02605.JPG

Bicycle with big tyres and trailer in Exeter A65 DSC02564.JPG

6. The D750 offers great image quality, but you're not going to see that with your DX lenses. I have used the Nikon AF-S 35mm 1.8 DX on my Nikon D700. It gives very good picture quality, and covers a suprisingly big part of the FX-sensor.

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Given that you might have to buy new and that you will be expected to keep the camera for at least three years have you considered buying a Z6 ll and 24-70 f4.There are recent price falls
    https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk...II-Camera-With-24-70mm-Lens-And-Mount-Adapter if you have full frame Nikkor lenses or
    https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk...-Cameras/Nikon-Z-6II-Camera-With-24-70mm-Lens if you haven't.

I consider that the D750 can be a bargain second hand; it is still a good camera and prices have dropped since the release of the D780.