1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What lens for Wilderness Party?

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by Shootingstar14, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Hi, my son is having a birthday party in the woods tomorrow (8 and 9 year old children) - I can’t decide what lens to take!
    I will want to capture the kids in action (fire making, archery, running around) and would be good to capture a few excited faces portrait-style as well. The kids will be moving and none of them will want to stand still and pose. ;)
    I am taking with me a Nikon D7200 and I have the following lenses to choose from: 18-105, 35mm/1.8G and 50mm/1.8G
    Any advice overnight would be fab- will check in again in the morning!
    PS: Weather forecast says cloudy... woods not great for light anyway I suppose...

2. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Since you are planning a whole range of shots, and you cannot be sure of how far away they will be happening, to me it's a 'no-brainer' to take the 18-105mm zoom. Out here we have lots of multi-generation beach parties and barbeques, and I also use a zoom, in my case, a 24-135mm (on full frame) which I have found to be ideal.

Your lens is a little slow (narrow aperture), and since the light will probably be poor, I suggest you push up the ISO, rather than use slow shutter speed, as many shots may be 'grab shots' and suffer from camera shake at low speeds, even with the VR turned on in the lens.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That is what I'd do. Your problem is too much working space rather than not enough. Candids of children are easier done with a longer focal length and it is not as nuch a handicap outdoors for group shots because you can always back away. Just keep an eye on the exposure time, for active children you need 1/250 s or so to freeze the action. Good luck with the archery. It's quite hard to get the sense of movement and combine the arrow in flight with the portrait of the archer. "Release" happens very quickly. Be prepared to take a lot of shots! It's great fun!

When my eldest was 8 I arranged a party at a canal boat museum. I thought it would be educational. I hadn't anticipated the fun a party of 8 year olds could have running around a confluence of canals, muliplicity of locks, warehouses, cranes, bridges, boats, towpaths and deep - deep - deep - black - water one step away in every direction.

The lens I look to for outdoor pictures of my children (and now their children) is a 70-200 F2.8. Although heavy (more so with stabilisation) these are lenses made for professional use. They (those with AF) are fast focussing, tough, and have good image quality used wide open.

4. Thank you both for your replies. We’ve just come back and I’m exhausted! Following your advice I took the 18-105. I had a few issues with the speed and the children moving too much (catching an arrow mid flight? - ha!) I have yet to analyse the shots I took and may get back to you for advice as to what I could have done differently once I’ve done that. Thanks again.

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

So who got the best photographs? You with D7200 or other parent with phone camera?

6. Me (of course). And the parent with the X100F....

Which has torpedoed me into a whole new episode of GAS. There’s a whole world of Fuji cameras out there which had been off my horizon... Now seriously contemplating a XT20 :)