1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What is the biggest print size can you print with your Smartphone?

Discussion in 'Smartphone photography' started by John Fantastic, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Guys,

Im a photography oldie but a smartphone newbie, In your experience what is the biggest acceptable display quality print do you get with the most recent crop of smartphones? Can it go A3+ (13" x 19")
    Thank you very much for your replies. :)

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The question is really: what do you expect from a big print? I once had several 35mm Tri-X negatives printed to 6 feet by 3 feet. For all I know they're still in the office reception area they were made for. I've seen 6MP wildlife pictures at A0 in a touring exhibition. I've even heard of 16 sheet posters made using Kodachrome originals. For some people these enlargements are just what they want. For others there will be too little detail in the final product. It all depends.

Wildlife photography exhibition at Winslade Park DSC01097.JPG

Mark101 and RogerMac like this.
  3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Brian on this forum has printed iPhone photos at A3 and is more than happy I think.

John Fantastic likes this.
  4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Borrow a suitable phone and take a few images then either crop heavily and print at A4 or, if you are flush print it a0 you will quickly get feeling as to how far you can go

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

For close viewing a print resolution of 300 pixels per inch is adequate. For more distant viewing (not poring over the print with a magnifying glass) this can be reduced toward 200 pixels per inch. I don’t know what the pixel resolution of a smartphone camera is. If it were 4800 pixels on the longest edge then a big print could easily be ~24” on the long edge.

I’ve printed A3 with cropped images from a 12 MP camera without resizing.

In the days when cameras only had 3-6 MP a great deal of effort went into image “resizing” - intelligent interpolation between pixels - allowing large prints without obvious pixelation artefacts. These techniques are used in printing today and allow further “upsizing”. The extent to which this “works” depends on subject matter and viewing distance.

6. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

A few years ago I printed a photo at A3 from a 6MP Samsung phone. It looked fine, apart from some artefacts from processing a jpeg.

7. Thank you very much for all your answers. It has been very useful. I have come to the conclusion that the current crop of smartphones with 12MP image sensor will be more than adequate to have it printed to the A3+ size.

8. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Indeed. I will happily use the iPhone 11 in place of or alongside my Leica Q-P or X Pro 3 Fuji. ( Except the phone is a lot more fun)

But I would also state that the printer is very important in the equation. I use the Epson SC P700 which I think is the sort of level required.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020 at 8:40 AM