1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is it with Paint?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LesleySM, May 9, 2021.

1. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Slowly but surely I am starting to think about painting things in here. A friend has offered to help, I got the rollers etc and I am fairly sure I could manage some of it myself but.....

Why is it nearly impossible to get small amounts of paint? I don't want 5L to paint a door frame! And even things like walls where I am going to need a lot more they're so expensive if you don't want brilliant white or magnolia both things I hate to me they always look like you're not planning on staying and I am obviously as I say I have to be happy with the colours as I literally have to live with the results!

Last straw tonight, found about the right colour for my kitchen tiles and reduced to £2 for a 2.5L tin!
    Not in stock at the nearest branch of B&Q (why they say my nearest branch is Peckham is beyond me there's one in the retail park at North Greenwich I can get a bus to), not available for home delivery or click and collect!

2. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Do they have test pots? They have enough paint for a small area.

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Paint for door frames, gloss or satinwood etc generally only come in small pots not big ones so you should be OK for that, unless of course you want to use emulsion.

Zou likes this.
  4. LesleySM

That's exactly what I want but finding a test pot in the relevant colour?!

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Can you get a colour match made up? Once you have the code they can make it for you in store so no more worries about stock.

6. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

I honestly don’t envy you
    We, or should I say my partner has just completed the entire house!! I helped initially but by the 3rd room I’d had enough and was more than happy to pay someone, their quote was ridiculous and my better half stubbornly carried on. All now done, ready for summer. All those jammy sods furloughed for the past year have had no excuse, try working full time then painting evenings and weekends.

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Poundland sell small pots of gloss paint, they also have Pep & Co emulsion in reasonable size packs. Info only, I can't vouch for the quality.

8. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I know I’m going back nearly forty years but there used to be a good timber merchant in Peckham Rye who sold all DIY goods

MJB likes this.
  9. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I googled timber merchants builders merchant and DIY in Peckham and got over thirty places Brewers in 215-217 Queen's Rd, London SE15 2NG Is a national dedicated painters and decorators supplier and are excellent X Don

10. LesleySM

Thanks but I don't live in Peckham I was just mystified as to why B&Q thought Peckham was my nearest branch when there is one at North Greenwich, which is much nearer

ascu75 likes this.
  11. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

If I'm browsing at work auto locate functions always assume I'm in Germany (where our head office & ISP are). I've met a few suppliers web sites that simply refuse to let me look at UK prices.

I'm afraid it yet another case of computers being to 'clever' for their own good.

WRT paint sizes there are several places round here that do 250ml size tins of gloss paints etc. These are often budget outlets like pound shops.
    The main DIY stores usually only have 1 litre & trade suppliers like screw fix might only do 5 litre & 25 litre for some paints.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    ascu75 likes this.
  12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Last year in lockdown I painted the kitchen, my office (allegedly a spare bedroom, but more boxroom size, and dominated by cameras) and our new garden bar - a 6' x 4' shed with, well, a bar. The bar counter got full-price stain and varnish, everything else got special offer paint colours. And I'm actually over the moon at how well it all came out. Office is a mid-brown that looks very smart, much to my wife's surprise, as she thought the colour looked awful on the tin; the kitchen a paler brown, both with white ceilings, and bar is cream inside, pale blue outside - a bit seasidy. The bar was in a completely overgrown bit of unused garden, absolutely overrun with ash. We thought we could make a Turkish-style tea garden, which we did, but as lockdown wore on, it became by necessity a beer garden, then sprouted a bar.And at Christmas, a handpump. There are only so many bottles and cans you can take. ;)

Got a half litre of gloss, which did the two rooms plus the downstairs loo, which I repainted from existing paint stocks.

I tell a lie, I had to buy full-price tile paint, and had a choice of black or white at Wilco, where I felt safe at the time. My old tin I was going to use was completely solid.

13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I recall you posted a picture of the bar previously, but we demand more. Will click 'like' if you share more!

14. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

Was that not Whittens (SP?) on Peckham Hill Street, which was a wonderful place.
    Long after metrification they sold timber in units of approximately 1/3 of a M :). No doubt in part due to old man Whitten who used to wander around the place long after he had retired and would engage any one who would listen with stories about the old canal head, horse drawn milk deliveries, trolley buses etc. He could go on for hours.
    Sadly they closed last year, it looks like the site will be re developed into yet more timber framed flats, the sort that already line that side of Burgess Park.

15. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I can’t remember the name but it was a wonderful place o_O

16. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

We had a similar place in Radford, Nottingham- Simmonds(sp?) typical hardware shop that sold everything you could ever want or never want either. The smell when you walked in was disinfectant mixed with wintergreen.
    They had another shop not far away Lenton but that smelt less pleasant...

17. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

peterba likes this.
  18. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

We have an old fashioned ironmongers locally, and it’s claim to fame is that it is said to have inspired the Four Candles sketch by the two Ronnies.

spinno likes this.
  19. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Are you sure that's not a load of billhooks?

DaveM399 likes this.
  20. LesleySM

We had Thompsons in Stroudley Walk where you could buy screws and nails by weight or number. There is still a branch on Roman Road maybe I should have a look there