1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is 35mm worth in MegaPixels

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by alexham36, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Here:
    N80 for £64

To be fair, they seem to be currently round £80 in the UK at the low end, though I noticed one up in the low £200s -such is the variability of auctions!

I have been lurking on various F/N70 auctions hoping to pick one up cheap - so far none under £50, but hope springs eternal!

Its just that only the 801, F70 & F90 take AI/AIS lenses and retain the metering. Price/spec wise the F70 seems to be the one to go for. Like the look of the F100, but they are still fetching silly money - so perhaps film ain't dead - just the market value of the less desirable cameras.
    e.g. F401s are very, very cheap!

Paul

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Never used one, I take it, Paul? It's a vile experience!

Ever wondered why they're so cheap? Very capable, but I cannot believe you would tolerate the handling!

Yes, there's a good reason for that, too!

Repeat after me: "I want an F801s, I want an F801s...." ;)

3. snapperlondon

snapperlondon Well-Known Member

Isn't it a bit unfair to compare the price of a new digital SLR with a secondhand film SLR? A new F80 is still around £300 body only or £450 with 28-100mm lens, whilst the D50 is somewhere between £540-600 with the 18-55mm lens!

Even secondhand £60 is unusually cheap for the F80, I got considerably more than that for mine as a trade-in (and the shop later sold it for £199).

If my comments are seen as being in support of digital over film, they aren't...my trade-in was towards a lovely FM2n with 50mm f/1.4 lens (which probably cost me as much second hand as they would have cost new 10 years ago)! Both film and digital have their uses, the FM2n is for when I don't want to lug around my D100, with grip and 17-55mm lens...very heavy...the FM2n, 50mm lens and a box Velvia ...by comparison, very light!

4. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

Oh I dodn't think of getting my F80 from american Ebay, Can there be problems if I did that would I have to pay Duty?

Or was that that the guy had set the currencey to dollars, DOn't know why people do that, I got an OM-30 for £10 because A guy had done that before and the auction fineshed late sunday Night.

The Title of this one is funny http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-F80-Film-Cam...1QQcmdZViewItem
    No [****]!

5. Martin_Kay

Martin_Kay Well-Known Member

Well having used 35mm cameras for over 40 yrs, Nikon, Contax etc, and having been a pro printer for many of those years I feel qualified to make a valid statement on this subject. To put it bluntly 35mm never ever satisfied me. It never quite came up to what I personally considered as aceptable image quality- ok it was fine for many of the varied usages it was put to. I always felt that the 645 format just gave that extra neg size to give a reasonable quality image. My one wish was to own a Pentax 6x7 outfit...

To get to the point, I recently shot a wedding on a 4 mega pixel camera and achieved results I'd never have got on 35mm...

6. WhipperSnapper

WhipperSnapper Well-Known Member

<span style="color:blue"> " .... I recently shot a wedding on a 4 mega pixel camera and achieved results I'd never have got on 35mm ... " </span>

That's not the fault of 35mm film, format or the camera - but more down to your ability as a photographer ....

I read 'somewhere' that a properly exposed Kodachrome trannie would be comparable to 26 megapixels.

sue

7. sey

sey Well-Known Member

Don't know why you hate it so Nick, been using my F70 for 5 years now & enjoy it very much. Capable camera, handling just fine! I know that it was never popular in the U.K. but never figured out why.

F70 are the cheaper consumer model Nikons, while the F100 is more specifically for the 'serious'amateur/pro. user & is on a different level in construction/materials etc. with much updated inside goodies & thus should not be compared to the F70.

That being said, the F70 remains a very capable machine with everything one needs.

8. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

4 megapixels beats film, Well I no for a fact that isn't true unless you get to about 1600 ISO. Althougth I am surprised at how often new inproved High ISO film are released, with I asume better res.

9. mefly2

mefly2 Member

Digital for convenience ... but ...
    " megapixels beats film" ... very dubious!
    mefly2
    :D

10. buze

buze Well-Known Member

I'm now using a Bronica S2A a lot, and I scan the transparencies (Provia 100F) using my flatbed scanner (Epson 4990) at 3200dpi.
    This gives me files of 50 megapixels in 16 bits. At that resolution there are still details that are 1 pixel wide ! Of course the "look" is different from digital and the resolution of details is different; on digital with a good lens you can actually out-resolve the sensor and looking at a photo at 100% magnification on screen you don't *know* you are at 100%, it can be that good; there is zero noise, and perfect sharpness.
    However with these films I'm *sure* I could get more out of them by having them scanned professionally. I know there are more details in them when I look at them in the light with a strong magnifier. But I can already print these 50 megapixel files at 60x60cm and still see minute details in the print. Good enough for me so far.

Having said that, I don't think that using the same film and scanner with a 35mm film surface I'd be happy with the result at all, the level of details I get out of my 8 megapixel Canon 350D with a good lens is staggering; not *just enough* to make very detailed, very large prints, but I would have a hard time to beat that with 35mm film... the 6x6 film beats the 8MP sensor hands down, but not by a factor of 4...
    Not without investing a a very, very expensive scanner, and that that kind of price, the 1Dsm2 + Distagon 21mm becomes less and less of a silly idea...