1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What I have been looking for.

Discussion in 'Leica Camera Chat' started by Brian, Jul 16, 2021.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

I really wish I had ‘ The Eye’ Andrew.

Back in 95’ I gained a place to do a HND in Photography. Prior to which I had completed O level, A level, City & Guilds 7470 professional competence in photography. All grade A’s I was besotted back then.

One morning I arrived after a 40 mile daily commute to the college where I was doing my HND. I was early so headed off to the canteen. A chap (not English) asked me the way to the photography suite, not recognising him I took him to the main reception, then headed off to the canteen. At lunchtime I went back to the canteen and found a spot in the crowded hall sat next to the photo lab technician. He mentioned a guy had come in that morning wanting to study photography. The senior photo lecturer gave him a tour. It came out that this chap had no previous experience or photo qualifications. (this is all third hand) God knows what was said, but he must have impressed the lecturer as he was given a loaded camera body plus 50mm lens. He didn’t really understand all the buttons, dials ( I reckon it must have been one of the Nikon’s FM2 as they were what the college loaned out)

Anyway, said chap signs out the gear and walked off into town ( I’m assuming ID had been shown)

He came back later that afternoon and the camera was handed back in. The lecturer spoke with him and he left??

The lab technician developed the film and made a contact print.

Okay, this was 95’ way before street photography became trendy. Out of the 36 shots 4 had been enlarged, most of the other shots were either blurred or under/over exposed massively.

But the 4 that had been printed were just incredible. The composition, his choice of focus point. The lecturer showed the 4 enlarged printed pictures to the class I was in, it was stunned silence. It really was a slap in the face, here was a chap who had no formal training, no idea how a proper camera worked yet his ability to frame the scene was very humbling. I had 1 year to go and never saw him come back. Clearly he left a big impression on me.

Hence, I really think some people are lucky to be gifted with “The Eye”. So jealous :D

John Farrell likes this.
  2. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I recall a letter in AP a few years ago in which the writer told of a lady visiting his house and complimenting on his photographs on display, saying something like 'you must have a very expensive camera'. Later, he and his wife were dinner guests at the first lady's house, and the food was excellent, so he thanked her saying 'you must have a very expensive cooker'.

I may only take a few shots each year that I'm proud of, and of those only get 3 or 4 printed, but I persist. Like you, if I had the funds to buy very expensive kit, I would have the knowledge required to use it, but I don't believe that I would end up with more pictures that I would want on my wall. What I really need is a lot more wall space...

zx9r likes this.
  3. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

I’ve heard similar versions
    The one I heard was a journalist complimenting a press photographer saying he must have a expensive camera, to which he replied I’ve read your articles, you are very good, you must have a expensive computer!

zx9r likes this.
  4. Chester AP

It probably goes back as far as 'you must have a really good cave wall to paint on'.

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

My flint knapped better than yours...

6. Chester AP

But are you always looking for a better flint, ending up with a collection of them, and then being undecided which flint to take out with you that day? Then perhaps you'll need a nice animal skin shoulder bag to hold all your favourite flints...

spinno likes this.
  7. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for the iron age:rolleyes:

8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Don't need no stinkin' Iron; this guy will help you get that sharper edge on your favourite flint knife...

Flint knapping demonstration at Avebury CAN_3901.JPG

spinno likes this.
  9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

?????? He is holding bronze axe heads isn't he? Not knapping flints.

10. Andrew Flannigan

Shhhh! I had him on the hook! ;)

11. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

You're a right master baiter aren't you:rolleyes::p:D

12. Andrew Flannigan

I have never baited a master in my life! :cool::D