1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What I have been looking for.

Discussion in 'Leica Camera Chat' started by Brian, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Indeed.

What's more, we should neither flaunt our wealth nor claim that, because we can spend more money than others on our pleasures, that makes us better. (Before you ask, I could buy a new Leica and lenses without any trouble - I just don't chose to).

2. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

As could I, however flaunting wealth is not the same as fulfilling an interest.
    I spend what I need, to do what I want, no more and no less.
    I am a highly unfashionable and some what introvert person. who has not the slightest interest in show.
    In fact I only put up images that illustrate a point, or that I think ask or answer a question.
    I have no interest at all in showing off or keeping up with the Jones's.
    As A lifelong Photographer I have opinions that are founded on experience, and are usually near enough up to date.
    I ask questions when I do not Know, and make suggestions when I feel that what I read needs correction.
    I find the whole subject of photography absorbing and act like something of an indiscriminate sponge.
    I am definitely not a very sociable person.

3. Andrew Flannigan

I can sympathise with you on that, being somewhat that way myself, although I post pictures to illustrate my posts because, why take pictures if not to communicate?

Be that as it may, I've always found your contributions thoughtful and accurate.

4. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

Gents. Thank you for the replies to my innocent question, I am sorry if re opened an old debate.
    All I did was ask a question and then drive my car for four hours.

5. Andrew Flannigan

It is never wrong to ask a question. As for driving cars for hours at a time: been there, done that, glad to be shot of it! :D

Traffic queue approaching roundabout DSC01229.JPG

zx9r likes this.
  6. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

What happened to your love affair with your Iphone? I recall that was wonderful too, yet you've spent (to me) a fortune on the Leica. Of course I'm a bit jealous, but more of your budget than the camera.

7. Andrew Flannigan

Don't be. You can get one just as good as those marked "Wetzlar" from your friendly neighbourhood Panasonic reseller. What's more, it says both "LEICA" and "ELMAR" on the front. Even better, it takes pictures that are just as good...

Camera Panasonic TZ70 HX90 DSC00050.JPG

8. Chester AP

I've never knowingly overpaid just to get a name or badge, hence the 'but more of your budget than the camera' comment. Interestingly, my latest AP arrived on time this week (today), and the professor's page is about 'who makes what' and his final paragraph is no surprise.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  9. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

My entire photographic life I have been criticised for my choice of Leica cameras. I have heard the same old carps ad nauseam, from so many tiresome people.. Now it's like water off a ducks back, why? Because quite honestly, I couldn't care a damn.

Zou, steveandthedogs and zx9r like this.
  10. Andrew Flannigan

We fear the gentleman doth protest too much! :D

Three men sitting on bench outside Sidmouth market P3250009.JPG

11. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I like the one in the background p!ss!ng up the wall.

12. Andrew Flannigan

Ooh, errr, missus! I didn't notice that myself. :D

13. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

I realise that you think yourself somewhat special. But the use of the imperial prerogative seems a trifle OTT.

14. Andrew Flannigan

Not me guv! I'm dead common, I am. :D

15. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

The iPhone is a wonderful photographic tool. But it is only part of my photographic tool kit. The main advantage being that I always carry the phone, I rarely carry a camera. But quite honestly my interest is trying to capture an image, what tool I use isn't really of much importance. So why the Leicas? Really just to wind up and give Mr Flannigan something to do. ;)

16. Andrew Flannigan

You see? My work here is done. :D

17. Chester AP

I would never criticise your choice of Leica or any other brand of camera, but I was curious about the fate of the IPhone which you praised so highly. If the new Leica is what you have been looking for, how long will it be before you start looking for something better?

Not quite the same phrase, but I couldn't help noticing the similarity: 'Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn' - the line is spoken by Rhett Butler, some of his last words to Scarlett O'Hara in the film of 'Gone With The Wind', after she had asked "Where shall I go? What shall I do?"

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  18. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

It's not a case of either or. If I have gone down to the pub and see a picture it's the iPhone. If I have gone out looking for pictures it's the Leica, it's a choice. After all as is often quoted " The best Camera is the one you have with you" Now whether that is the phone or a camera it doesn't bother me.

But if I had to chose between them for some obscure reason, I would go for the phone.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  19. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Interesting debate on this thread, I’ve mused it over many times in my head.

Absolutely no intention of taking sides.

But, if I may…. The REAL importance is the image, not the means of what captured it. My photo skills compared to friends and family are masterly but only because none of them have the slightest interest, my photo skills next to a recognised icon (Mary Ellen Mark) are both pitiful and embarrassing and no amount of kit is going to change that. Some are blessed with “The Eye” others like myself compensate by buying and playing. Either is fine, but I’m not so arrogant to think that my canons and bunch of ‘L’s is going to change that.

In my case “All the gear, no idea” really does apply. M E Mark would make me a laughing stock with a humble body and standard lens. These icons have studied their craft, whilst we amateurs fall blindly to marketing spiel.

I gain much pleasure from using my kit for taking snaps, but I’m acutely aware of my amateur status. No amount of kit can change that fact.

20. Andrew Flannigan

So you love photography; why would you want to change that?

zx9r likes this.