1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What I have been looking for.

Discussion in 'Leica Camera Chat' started by Brian, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

A point and shoot camera that can produce the sort of images that I want. Twenty years of digital and at last I have achieved it.

Test shot. Leica Q2 Mono. All default settings except " Light Sepia" added. Straight into Fliker for posting here.

[​IMG]untitled (14 of 14) by Brian Tompkins, on Flickr

This loaded into LR Classic print module and printed with an Epson SC P 900 to A2 using the Advances b/w setting will on Marrutt Standard Fine Art paper will do for me.

Why is it that this web site only displays at postage stamp size? The Fuji forum all an image that nearly fills my 27" iMac. ( Or is it me?)

zx9r likes this.
  2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I don't call 850 x 850 pixels a "postage stamp".

They probably chose that limit both to keep the storage prices down and not discourage users on slower or data limited tarriffs.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It’s 800 px longest side and it is to keep data needs down. Displays well on most media. Since Covid my bandwidth at home has gone down a lot, folk streaming video I reckon. Anything much bigger gets resized by the browser anyway.

4. Andrew Flannigan

850 is definitely accepted. As an example, this is 850 by 751...

Yowl.jpg

IvorETower likes this.
  5. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I notice that the current instructions for uploading specify 1024 not 800 on the longer side

6. PeteRob

That was a personal decision in the voluntary update. Of course 850, or 1024, or any other similar size “look acceptable”. The original guidance was 800 and that still “fits” nicely on a small viewing screen and gives a small file size jpg without compression and without the browser downsizing it to fit the window. I appreciate that size might look a bit lonely viewed on a huge monitor with the browser set to full screen but surely most people don’t do that. The most annoying thing to me is, if someone posts a large portrait orientation file in, say appraisal, having to scroll to see all of it, which defeats the purpose really.

7. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

And it used to be much smaller 600 and a by today's standards a very small file size, we used to save for web to get the size down by stripping out all the exif data though I am not sure how much that saved.

8. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

Looks good to me Brian and if it is a work flow that has easy steps that works for you that is all that matters.
    I have not looked closely at them but I don't know what the mono versions of the current Leica camera are doing or understand their advantages over taking a RGB file and converting to mono later.
    (Not Leica knocking, I use a M2 frequently and love the simplicity and feel of the camera which incidently was made three months before I was born)

9. PeteRob

They don’t have a mask (Bayer or otherwise) over the sensor so it is a true “mono” image.

10. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

If your aim is to achieve mono images. A mono camera has advantages in spades.
    Firstly every pixel on the sensor counts. They are not an amalgam of four colour filtered pixels rehashed with a set of algorithms to give them all new tonal values . They are already a true reflection the details and tones captured at each pixel point.. As such it can correctly capture four times more detail, so with a suitable quality lens. Images will be captured sharper and with more details and truer tonality.

This of course and conversely allows images to be cropped by a similar amount with out any loss of quality compared to a similar but colour sensor.

There is no reconversion necessary in pp to achieve a back and white image it can be printed SOOC.

Alternatively it allows much larger prints to be made at maximum quality.

zx9r and Brian like this.
  11. Andrew Flannigan

Yes.

I can see why that would have been A Good Thing a few years ago but with 16MP or more to play with already, I don't think I'd spend out on a mono-only body these days. I'm much more likely to be tempted by a Nikon D850 giving me those 45 million pixels to play with!

12. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

But if memory serves me right it hasn't changed in the last twenty years. And then I was
    But you are missing the point. The Leica Q2 Mono has 47 Mp and far, far higher resolution than your Nikon.Also with the Q2 Mono or any Q for that matter the lens and sensor are exactly matched. Any sensor designed for interchangeable lenses must be a compromise for the different angles of acceptance. But it's not only the sharpness, the mono sensor lack of noise and tonal rendition cannot be matched by any conversion. I have both, the Q-P and the Mono, hence able to judge rather than speculate.

zx9r likes this.
  13. Andrew Flannigan

Not in the least. It's just a different point to the one you're making.

14. Terrywoodenpic

45 million pixels are not quite what they seem. They are generally filtered in patters of four. Two green one red and one blue, to make up one super coloured pixel four times the size. the camera firmware then gets to work. and using algorithms compares that super pixel with neighboring pixels and assigns new calculate colours and tonal values to the original four pixels.

This is by its very nature an approximation. and no where near as direct and accurate as collecting black and white tonal values in the first place.
    However even those directly collected values are subject to their colour sensitivity and are no doubt adjusted with LUTs to give a suitable rendering. but will inevitably give more accurate, detailed and sharper results than an equivalent high value color sensor as on your suggested Nikon 850

15. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

No you are missing the point.

"I can see why that would have been A Good Thing a few years ago but with 16MP or more to play with already, I don't think I'd spend out on a mono-only body these days"

O.K. you are not missing the point, you are dismissing the facts.

16. Terrywoodenpic

Matching the sensor to the lens is more important that people might think, but it is the shape and position of the microlens array that is critical, as it can be set to align the incoming light rays on to the pixel sites to correct for Vignetting and other distortions.
    As no colour filters are involved all the light gathered by each microlens is captured, with none lost by filtration. this will have a small but significant noise advantage.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    zx9r likes this.
  17. Andrew Flannigan

I'm just not agreeing with you on what is best for my needs and desires.

18. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Flogging a dead horse Terry;)

19. Andrew Flannigan

Mummy! Brian's playing one upmanship again! :p

20. Terrywoodenpic

Not at all
    Brian has always been essentially a Black and white photographer and printer.
    He has expensive tastes and access to the funds necessary to fulfill his desire to achieve the best results currently possible.

Leicas might seem to many of us, exclusive and over priced, however they are in this case the best tool available for the job.
    So why not use it?

I would find it many times harder to Justify the use of any of their models with color sensors. as I believe more suitable cameras are available.
    But this is the free world, and we can use what ever we choose.

IvorETower, Brian and RogerMac like this.