1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I kept getting a couple of points of pain in my foot recently and was considering a trip to the GP (my mum has a problem with pain in foot so I thought I might too) eventually I found embedded drawing pins in the bottom of my trainers!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    beatnik69, RovingMike, Zou and 2 others like this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Dismantling a big cardboard box, reinforced with huge staples. Have managed to get it all flat, but it still won't fit in the bin. Time for the outsize scissors.

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Or don't make them at all. Yanks and Europeans seem to avoid burning themselves to a crisp without such huge things.

4. RovingMike

But worse than that, you give a big yank to undo them and a huge sharp staple goes right up your arm.

Stanley knife's the thing.

Catriona likes this.
  5. Catriona

I use my trusty 60 year old big screwdriver with a wooden handle and very strong blade. But yes, A couple did ping away! Had to use a torch to find them. Fortunately none came towards me. I levered away from me.
    PS screwdriver inherited from hubby's dad, so no real idea quite how old it is. It has many paint splashes on the handle from opening paint tins. :)

6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

There's a joke about how to get rid of pubic hairs.

S

7. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I have a very small loan that goes out of my account on the 27th it's nearly paid off

The 27th of this month I.e Sunday it got declined by my bank, which given at that point I had more than enough was a bit of a surpise!

Monday lady from the company called and we worked out NatWest had been upgrading their network on Sunday and she said a lot of people had the same problem and would it be okay to take the money there and then? I said fine and moments later she said it went through and when I checked my banking app two minutes later the money had been taken from my account.

They called me today and reckoned they have not got the money even though they have a record of the call Monday and said there had been a massive problem with NatWest accounts on Sunday. I sent them the PDF from my bank account showing the money had been paid to them, they now say they still can't find it and until they do I have a default on my credit history

8. John King

John King In the Stop Bath

That sounds like a call to the Banking ombudsman is now on the cards. I also bank with them and have done so since about 1980 and have not heard of Nat West having any problems with the accounts.

9. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

I used to bank with Nat West many years ago and left them due problems with my accounts.

Double dipping my accounts, taking fees from the wrong account all this whilst paying for the privilege of a personal banking manager who was as useful as a chocolate fire guard.

10. Catriona

So the Govt won't publish the report on Russian involvement in our democratic processes.

Maybe the Russians could do it for them?

steveandthedogs likes this.
  11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Known in the USA as a box cutter.

12. Catriona

There goes another filling. I'm falling apart.

13. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

:(

14. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Anyone who uses the phrase 'we are where we are' to really mean, 'yes, I screwed up, and now we're going to have to dig ourselves out of the hole we're in, but let's pretend that never happened and instead be chipper about the next steps'.

Catriona and Zou like this.
  15. Catriona

You forgot the 'and why don't you just shut up and stop coming up with what we should have done'

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

When IKEA claims to care about securing furniture to the wall but sells the bits separately, instead of included as they used to.

EightBitTony likes this.
  17. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Tell me about it! I recently put up some wall cabinets and floor cabinets in the kitchen. I had the floor cabinets assembled before realising that I needed the metal strip to 'hang' them on. Got the strips which I then had to cut with a hacksaw to fit. Eventually I got everything assembled and fitted before realising that they could be fitted without the strips but that wasn't immediately obvious in the stupid instructions they provide. I also hadn't realised that I needed to buy a worktop for the cabinet as my wife, who ordered them thought that it was a glass worktop. I ended up buying some MDF and making a worktop then covering it with self-adhesive marble-effect PVC sheeting. Not a bad job in the end.

Zou likes this.
  18. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

What would be worth getting hold of, is one of those hook-shaped cardboard box cutters (which have 'Stanley' blade in them) as they give you a lot of leverage and unlike a Stanley knife, are a lot safer.

Catriona likes this.
  19. RovingMike

My flippin weight has crept up again. Now 1.5kg higher than I am trying to maintain and that's despite an hour's BadTennis on Friday and 9km walk yesterday. So back to weighing everything and putting it into the app:(

Round to M&S later for a few of their low-cal ready meals for a few days.

20. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

According to Healthline diet is more effective in losing weight than exercise but exercise helps keep lost weight off.