1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

On the M5 and the M4 the side signs generally say something like: "J23 30 minutes - 26 miles".

2. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Not on the M25, M40,M42,M6, M56 (now you know where I drive to) unless things have changed in the last couple of months!!

MickLL

3. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

I know all the junctions on the M6, not their technical names, but the general location, I'm a bit sad like that. :)

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

My car's Sat Nav has good junction information so I don't find that too much of a problem however, I do find "NNNN Road closed between 22:00 and 05:00" annoying. I really need to know that "AXXX, NNNN Road is closed between B Road and C Avenue" locals tend to know roads by name and transients by road number.

5. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

What's your SatNav?

In crude terms I might join the M6 at a single digit junction and want to leave in the mid twenties. My SatNav will say something like "Keep going for 140 miles" and there will be a picture showing leave the M6 at, say, J25. Then if I get an overhead that refers to , say J17 , I don't know how far away that is and as I'm driving can't use the SatNav to find out. If your machine is better than that then I'm quite interested.

MickLL

6. Mojo_66

Birmingham(ish) to Wigan, the junction in question is Congleton Sandbach.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Unfortunately Mick you would have to buy the whole car as it is the OEM fit in a 2011 Saab 9-5. The one I had in a 2012 Jaguar XF had a similar display showing the junctions and distance to go. The general opinion is that the Jaguar Sat Nav is very poor in almost every other respect so don't buy a Jag for the navigation system.
    You really are sad aren't you? The only junctions I know are 16 on the M25 and thus by extrapolation 14, 15, 17 and 18.

8. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Working from home is great, except sometimes I feel like talking to someone.

Me - "Alexa, look at that - it's going dark already!"
    Alexa - "It is currently light in Whitworth, Rochdale. The sun sets at four forty pm."

It's like being married again!

Cheers, Jeff

MJB, Gezza and Catriona like this.
  9. Mojo_66

:D
    So you actually know more than you think you know!
    Spent a few years thundering up and down the M6 for work, it's handy to know where the jams are.

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Well I used to visit Cardiff Airport regularly but I couldn't tell you which junction I used. I take the M25 to the A24 every month but again I have no idea of the junction number.
    That makes sense.

11. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

You what? How long to get there is surely the only bit of info you can use?

12. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Must be better that that tedious commute you used to have?

I usually work from home with my dogs for company, speak to colleagues throughout the day by phone/email and await the return of my wife and youngest daughter later in the day.

13. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

I take the message as an indication of possible delays so if it says 25 minutes then I want to know if that's for one mile or 25! It makes a difference!

MickLL

14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Eye migraine. Just now. So that's me nauseous for the next 24 hours. :(

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I would want two pieces of information, how far and how long to get there. We have that on the M25 and the citizens of the USA have it on every interstate and highway because their junction numbers are, sensibly, the distance from the state border, much more useful than our sequential numbers that mean nothing.

16. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Long black hair and pubic hairs. I am getting sick to death of finding long hair on the floor and on bedding despite good cleaning. Pubic hair, despite shaking off bedding and washing and drying, cling on for dear life then during ironing spending time checking and picking off stray hairs.
    I think I’m going to put conditions of bald people and those that shave off the pubes as the only people welcome into our Airbnb. :)
    As you can probably gather I am in the process of cleaning the house prior to my next guests.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Zou and EightBitTony like this.
  17. dream_police

And now I’ve just stood on an upside down plug on the vacuum. Now that RGMG!

EightBitTony likes this.
  18. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

You have my sympathy having done the same myself

19. dream_police

You’d think they’d make them out of a softer material, why use metal?:)

AndyTake2, MJB and Derek W like this.
  20. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

You have my sympathy. Two nights ago I got out of bed to go to the loo, as one does, and on the way back to bed I stood barefoot on something very painful. After a badly supressed curse I carried on towards the bed - and when I put that foot down again, I realized that whatever it was, was embedded in my foot. At this point I give up on courtesy, and turned on the light. One of my wife's hair grips had fallen of the dressing table, clippy side up, and was now stuck in my foot, tortoiseshell side down.

As they might say in Belfast, I made commentuponet. in no uncertain terms!