1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Yes, it was an unfortunate juxtaposition of words by the orange one, particularly as there are countless times when a dog has been killed defending its owner. Its just that my love of dogs (we have three at the moment, but it is usually four) is overwhelmed by my hatred of a vicious, murderous and despicable excuse for a human being, who exulted in the death of thousands. I cannot think of more than a few whom I would like to 'die like a dog', with its original connotations, but Baghdadi was at the head of that list.

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I remain entirely unconvinced that killing leaders of such groups is effective, they may become martyrs for their cause and they will always be replaced, inevitably by some one harder to locate and with a greater sense of self preservation. What should we do instead? I have no idea, but much better they should vanish into obscurity than be so publicly "executed".

Zou, peterba and Footloose like this.
  3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I had the same thought. Especially since he actually killed himself rather than be captured or killed by others. Martyr material.

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I don't believe they have / had any intention of doing that. Can you think of any?

5. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Bloody, Bloody Hi-Fi!!
    My Denon has just packed up playing DAB - won't find stations despite all sorts of resets and everything bar kicking it across the room. I wouldn't mind, but the previous Denon did the same, so I am not a happy camper.
    It seems that there are plenty of others suffering the same issue, with one Denon user warming the radio circuit board as he thought it was a dry joint.
    I really don't want to get under the bloody casing with a soldering iron, it is hard enough reading small print, without looking for crap joints.:mad:

6. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Get an internet connected one. I am currently listening to my Denon RCD N7 which I’ve had for years. Still going strong and can listen to radio from anywhere over the internet.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  7. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I concur, Geoff. World leaders (the West, in particular) seem to be obsessed with this sort of thing - I presume because they think it makes them look 'good':rolleyes:, and, of course, they feel justified in crowing about it.

They don't seem to stop and think about what would happen if, for example, the reverse happened. The country that they lead would hardly just buckle, and say "Oh, no... now we'll have to mend our naughty ways". Far from it, I'd have thought.

8. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

That, of course, is the more difficult part of the problem. :(

9. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

When you have to crop too close to the top of artist's head, because there's a dead rat hanging above them which is in the shots otherwise (and couldn't be avoided).

10. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

This cough I have. Had it 4 weeks now and my wife has started calling me Bob Fleming.

11. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Snort a couple of mastitis tubes (or whatever he things are called these days) - that'll soon put you right. Or kill you.

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If a previous Denon did the same thing I would think long and hard before buying another one.

13. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the active ingredients would probably kill me as I'm allergic to amoxycillin with clavuanic acid. The quack gave me some antibiotics last week which sorted the associated throat infection, but the bloody cough is still here.

14. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Believe me, the next one is NOT going to be a Denon.

edit...…….the DAB managed to tune this morning.-it limped along, but is there.
    I'll see how long it lasts.
    I know it wasn't a signal issue, as my other DAB radio has worked continuously throughout.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  15. RovingMike

Get it sorted. I had a cough for 4 weeks after coming back from India and it suddenly triggered Guillain-Barre Syndrome. I might never fully recover.

16. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I had a bad cough 2 years ago, then started losing me voice, eventually after a number of "try this" by the GP I finally got sent to ENT at local hospital, after more tests including endoscope via my nose revealed a cancerous growth on a vocal chord; sorted by daily radio therapy for 4 weeks last May

17. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Already seeing the doctor.

18. RovingMike

So did I. When the GBS struck he said it was just the wrong antibiotic and gave me another to take. Delayed getting it diagnosed by a week, by which time I was almost completely unable to move through ataxic paralysis.

19. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Travel News - Motorway Junctions

It Grinds my Gears when on the Travel News they only refer to problems on the motorways by giving junction numbers and not an actual location.

I live about 3 miles from a junction on the M6 Motorway. Up until now (because I've just looked) I couldn't tell you what number junction it is.

For example, they will say 'problems on the M6 between Junctions 13 & 14'. Where the hell is that I think?

Now if they said 'problems on the M6 between Junction 13 Stafford South and Junction 14 Stafford North' all would be clear. Simple.

At least I now know where J13 & J14 are but I'll have forgotten them come tomorrow.

20. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

I agree with that along with the overhead sign that says "Junction xx - 25 minutes". No idea how far away is junction xx so the information is useless.

MickLL

dangie likes this.