1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Think I'd better wait till tomorrow before mountaineering for the kitchen clock!

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

:):);)

Catriona likes this.
  3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I agree. For me the problem is compounded by the fact that the clock goes backwards. It is adjacent to a cupboard, and it was my intention to fit a mirror on the cupboard. I never got round to it.

Catriona likes this.
  4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Yes me too. The reset (on Canon) also varies in whether it resets the custom config. And even doing every reset I could find on the m50 it didn't reset the copyright info or the custom button config.

5. John King

John King In the Stop Bath

Oncoming LED Car headlights that are simply too bright or to make matters worse badly adjusted. They completely destroy you driving 'night vision' and can put lives at risk.

Drivers who overtake on roundabouts then cut back in causing the car they have just passed to brake/swerve to avoid them. (Usually a BMW/Audi/VW or the ubiquitous white van man)

Oversized SUV's that are used for little else than ferrying the kids to school and jamming up the free running of other traffic. Completely ostentatious and un-necessary.

6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

This site is flashing up the privacy message every time I stop typing. Coming up about every 10 secs.

7. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

I know that ;);)
    Just a little leg pull !!

MickLL

Catriona likes this.
  8. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

The issue with LED headlights, as well as LED streetlights is that they emit the wrong frequencies.
    Trying to make them 'Daylight' temperature is madness - the orange of old streetlights is the right way to go for lighting infrastructure, it doesn't interfere with night vision as much, many animals can't see it as well as LED lighting, and it doesn't hurt one's eyes.
    As for Headlights, they are similar - too much blue, and painful on the eyes. Manufacturers should realise that just because the tech is there, they don't have to use it all at once.

9. AndyTake2

GMG - that orange x"$! in the US - when he opens his fat gob.
    Baghdadi "died like a dog" "like a coward".....being chased by US Service Dogs.
    I wonder if that means that that $hit faced git would repeat those words to the SF dog handlers?:mad:

peterba likes this.
  10. Catriona

I very much doubt it! I knew a few dog handlers when I was in the RAF. They were off their heads! They would have eaten DT for breakfast.

AndyTake2 likes this.
  11. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Bloody fireworks! We've got lunatics letting them off somewhere in the area. I've nothing against fireworks per se: just the noise. I've been told by a special effects guy that it's easy to make quiet ones and they're just as pretty.

12. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

"Die like a dog" is a very old expression. The ancient Greeks used it to express a shameful death, all the more so because it meant no burial. The first known written version was “He lyved like a lyon and dyed like a dogge,” - John Rastell in 'The Pastyme of People' of 1529. It was the title of a short Nero Wolfe story by Rex Stout, subsequently made into a television play.

The phrase has been in common parlance for a very long time, so I don't think anybody, particularly a dog handler, would have misunderstood its use.

13. AndyTake2

I know the phrase has been used for ages, and is quite common, (the phrase just shows the disrespect some people had for dogs back in the dim and distant past) but in this case the orange one's usage is a bit of a slap in the face for the dogs who presumably did die at the same time (the statements say he died in tunnels whilst being chased by dogs) - animals which do their work for the love of their handlers, and as we have seen time and time again, show bravery way beyond anything which could be considered simple loyalty (Finn's Law over here gives an idea).
    So the orange one to use the phrase at the same time as mentioning the brave dogs really winds me up.

Edit.....latest info shows that dogs didn't die, but one was seriously injured. Hope Trump gets to meet it, and it widdles on his leg.....or does an impression of a honey badger

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  14. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

He just winds me up all the time

dream_police and AndyTake2 like this.
  15. John King

John King In the Stop Bath

Who does?

Catriona likes this.
  16. Catriona

Take your pick from me:
    Trump
    Johnson
    Jacob R-M
    Stephen Barclay
    Stephen Barclay
    Stephen Barclay........

I really don't like him. Reminds me of a polished Cummings.

17. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Same for me last night on the desktop computer. I gave up trying.
    Typing this on the tablet this morning and so far ok. Will try the computer again later.

18. Catriona

Strangely, I had to accept cookies again on my favourite local (maritime) weather site this morning. I'm sure I did it at least a year ago.

Not happening here - yet.

19. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Saw this in a barbershop window in Nottingham yesterday. Made me smile.

orange trump.jpg

AndyTake2 likes this.
  20. AndyTake2

When I was up in Fort William recently, there was a bar which put out a sign every day with a different 'news' message on it, all relating to Trump, such as 'Trump impeached....for putting coke in whisky' and other such things.
    I guess he has to be of use to someone, even if it is to just take the pi$$ out of:D

Gezza and dream_police like this.