1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Yes, come to think of it, bus drivers are normally pretty good with the indicators too.

I was told that HGV drivers are taught to try to keep their vehicles moving slowly rather than come to a dead stop (maybe to save fuel, wear and tear etc), so it is particularly frustrating for them when people don't signal correctly exiting a roundabout, when they are forced to needlessly come to a halt.

If the problem is related to training then maybe the driving test needs to be beefed up a bit, or perhaps there should be regular (say every 10 years) re-appraisals. Not necessarily a full practical test, but maybe a variant of the computer based multi choice test. The aim would be to make people more aware of the current regulations and good practice rather than punitively prevent them from driving.

Or is the answer some public service TV advertising? That seems to have gone out of fashion in recent years. Issues could include use of mobile phones, tailgating, speeding, lane hogging, and the importance of correct signalling. A more subtle approach would be ideas placement within popular shows, the non signalling, tailgating speedster being shown to be a complete pillock etc.

2. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Makes sense.

3. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

....or driving in one of the overtaking lanes of a motorway when not actually overtaking a vehicle in the driving lane. I saw a lovely slogan on one of the overhead message boards on the M6 a couple of years ago proclaiming the legend "Don't be a Middle Lane Moron" but I have not seen the slogan used since. Usually it is just something bland such as "Return to inside lane after overtaking".

4. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Yes, I had to do that too, and wind the window down while driving.

5. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Nice idea but I have to say that this middle lane thing is far from being cut and dried. Clearly if the inner lane is free for the next 1/2 mile or more you get into it, but at what point do you stay in the centre lane? I recently drove in heavy motorway traffic at the speed limit wherever possible. There was little opportunity to use the inside lane, so I stayed in the centre, except when overtaking in the outer lane. Someone slowly overtook me and then veered over into the inside lane, only to find himself blocked (by me - driving at a constant speed) a few hundred yards down the road where the inside lane was occupied. He did this about three times, and I could not help but think that it would have been safer for everyone in the circumstances if he just stayed in the middle lane. Common sense versus a rigid application of the principle.

It's a judgement call, and I guess that we all have our own ideas on the right thing to do.

Petrochemist and Gezza like this.
  6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

As far as I recall the indicator on the A35 was a sort of knob-with-a-tail (a Boris Johnson?) on the dash, in the centre. Twist the tail left for left and right for right. A mechanical timer "self cancelled" after a while if you didn't cancel it yourself. I think my 1964 FX4 (ex-taxi) had something similar. But then, my father sold the A35 over 50 years ago, before I could drive on the road (I practised on a disused airfield) and I sold my FX4 over 40 years ago, so I may be mis-remembering.

And indeed, as you say, hand signals were tested in those days.

Cheers,

R.

Wheelu and peterba like this.
  7. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

The A45 had an indicator knob centrally placed in the middle of the dashboard. It was a timer if I remember correctly?

Graeme

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I tend to apply a rule that says, if I will have to move back to the right within a couple of minutes I might as well stay put. However, when the left lane is clear and I have to pull across from lane 1 to lane 4 because someone in lane 3 can't be bothered to a, drive at the speed limit and/or b, pull over I do feel slightly annoyed.

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Lose instead of loose
    To instead of too
    you're instead of your
    It's instead of its

:p

SXH and peterba like this.
  10. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Surely, these traffic lights are there because the section of road they cover, (regardless of work being done there) is going to be narrower than normal, so one is likely to encounter occasions when drivers from either end might not be able to pass each other along the section that the traffic lights cover? - especially if the roadworks are on a bend you can't see from one end of the traffic works to the other.

In the past only 2 lights were required, but (presumably due to a court case) they now have to use 3 lamps because the 2 light setups are not covered by the highway rules and laws, so drivers (in theory) used to ignore them, leading to accidents?

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Yes, usually. It is the absence of workers that annoys me, not the lights.

12. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Mea culpa. It doesn't happen often... but it does happen.

13. peterba

Likewise.

14. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Not to mention their/there/they're!

Mind you, I'll let them off with whose/who's, as I always get them confused myself. :oops:

Catriona likes this.
  15. peterba

Yes - I remember it well!

What I can't remember is at what point it was removed from the test.

16. peterba

Roger,
    At different times, my parents had the A30, and also the A35. The indicator knob you're describing was certainly on one of those models, if not both.. I just can't remember.

The system wasn't exactly great, but I do feel it's a little harsh to identify it with something quite so 'unfit-for-purpose' as the Foreign Secretary... ;)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    Roger Hicks likes this.
  17. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I remember a local farmer who had an old Model Y Ford 8, during and after WW2 which for an indicator had an illuminated imitation hand which was controlled by a handle under the RHS of the dash which could make the hand stick out for a right turn, wave up and down for slowing or rotated for left turn mimicing the hand signals

18. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Then there's reluctant/reticent, and refute/deny.

19. Roger Hicks

Dear Peter,

At one point, mine had both at once: an A35 bought new in 1958 for my father, and an A30 bought second-hand in about 1960 for my mother.

Fair point about AlexdePBoJo: a self-limiting timer should have kicked in years ago for him.

Cheers,

R.

peterba likes this.
  20. Roger Hicks

Dear John,

Imply/infer.

Cheers,

R.

John Farrell likes this.