1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Dont be daft my best two tablets I take each day are my aintidepressants without them I can go to very dark places. You get stupids in all sorts of places I have been told I am not praying hard enough to be cured of my Multiple Sclerosis People have said I bet he walks indoors etc etc. Don :rolleyes:

2. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

We don't. Charly-boy had to be approved by the other 57 (?) member states, and was by no means a foregone conclusion.

Catriona likes this.
  3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I bet you wouldn't have appreciated it if you hadn't been given the pills and had been told to self-help your way out of your depression? Anyway, the report this morning just caused me worry on behalf of some people, you know the ones who queue up for days to see a royal pass by! They are likely to believe it if one of them tells them to self-help their way out of mental illness!

peterba likes this.
  4. Catriona

5. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Well, twopenneth would certainly be better value for money. ;)

Andrew Flannigan, Zou and Catriona like this.
  6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

...whereas I think they are a major symptom of this country's problems. I don't dislike royalists but do feel their existence is a good reason for beefing up the mental health facilities of the NHS.

peterba likes this.
  7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I'm not a royalist but I find it odd that just because someone else is, you find it necassary to say that they have MH issues. It really cheapens the fact that there are people who actually suffer from real MH issues, when in fact they just have an opinion that differs to yours.

8. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

l have heard all sorts of people give advice even comedians tell people to pull themselves together when feeling like a pair of curtains. BOOM BOOM

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've suffered from chronic depression for more than fifty years following the loss of my parents when I was 11 and 12 and then having a chaotic "home" life for the following 7 years. Since then I've had to deal with any number of behavioural problems while raising a family and making a living. So yes, I know more about the subject than I want to. You're welcome to your opinion but mine is that it's part of my life and I won't apologise for including it in my humour.

10. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I've just re-read what was said by the royals and can't understand why some are trying to twist it into some idea that maybe you shouldn't get help. Has everyone commenting actually read it?

It is the very responsible line being promoted by PHE based on helping with prevention, rather than simply cure.

And BTW, even in cure, self-help is absolutely essential. The person must be receptive to, and work with, the advice that is being given. If the problem is mental, then mental attitude to the cure is key and co-operation and actually wanting to be cured (many don't) is vital. People are given exercises between sessions and they have to do them, but many don't.

Facilitating self-help is probably the area of improvement most needed at present.

beatnik69 and Gezza like this.
  11. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

This phenomena is not unique to mental health.
    In physical therapy it is usual to give clients home exercises to undertake, and the number who don't do them is high.
    With all the good will in the world, many people just put off the exercises because their phone just rang, or they've got to work through lunch or the exercises cause some pain etc. I have no doubt that in mental health the same thing applies.

Although self-help in the form of exercise, whether mental or physical is crucial in speeding up the healing process, it is often the case that groups can perform much more than individuals, whether informal or formally arranged.

In the good old days, when beer was tuppence a loaf, I had a long stay in hospital followed by a protracted period of out-patient health care.
    When I came to physiotherapy, I was collected every day by ambulance and taken to the local hospital, where I either had one to one sessions, or joined in a group. This continued for some time and allowed me to progress on my own at home.
    Sadly this doesn't happen any more, and people are released from hospital early, to await one physio appointment a week for 6 weeks or whatever.

It's quite disheartening, and I expect that many mental-health sufferers get home and think 'what's the point?' meeting with others and being 'forced' to partake gives them something to work for, whereas staying at home puts them back in the same situation as they already were. Some doctors are now arranging group sessions for different health conditions, including mental health. I think it can only be a good thing.

Zou likes this.
  12. Catriona

It never fails to astonish me that those dealing with people with mental health issues (and others) seem to expect the one suffering to behave rationally and do as they are told. In most cases, the recipient is in a world of their own making and finding it difficult to function in your world. Why on earth expect them to hear you, let alone carry out your wishes?
    As for physical exercises to be carried out at home? If more time was taken to explain why they help, more people might do them.

It is continuity of therapy which is required. Not see you once a month - or three months or six months, for a check up.
    I recall an experiment at my local hospital where foot problems were being tackled in a new way. Weekly visits, treatment, dressings, for six weeks. Afterwards, I was pain free for two years. Now I need to go every 2 months and even that has stretched to 4 months now. Will never heal.

Zou and AndyTake2 like this.
  13. dream_police

I was thinking something similar yesterday. As I have said before, I am awaiting an appointment for CBT. On Nov 8th last year I was told it was an 18 week wait. I didn't hear anything until I contacted them in April and told it was longer and they would contact me. I have contacted them again as we are approaching one year and am awaiting a reply.
    But what got me thinking, is that this is a service for people that need help with MH issues. TBH, I am not that bad at all, but there will be some who are really suffering and could be at risk of harm. The thing that really gets me though, and what I have put in my latest e mail, is that not being kept up to date by the providers is totally unacceptable. I feel that I may have fallen through the net. Imagine if I was suffering a lot more and then thinking that I had been forgotten or ignored by those that person is looking to for help?

I got a reply from my MP Esther McVey and a letter from Nadine Dorries following my e mail to her a few weeks back. Apparently they are testing 4 week waiting times for MH care in selected local areas and are trying to make it on par with physical health services. Yeah, OK!

Catriona likes this.
  14. Catriona

[QUOTE="...

I got a reply from my MP Esther McVey and a letter from Nadine Dorries following my e mail to her a few weeks back. Apparently they are testing 4 week waiting times for MH care in selected local areas and are trying to make it on par with physical health services. Yeah, OK![/QUOTE]

I bet that really reassured you. Right...

dream_police likes this.
  15. dream_police

I bet that really reassured you. Right...[/QUOTE]
    Totally. I'm cured.

Catriona likes this.
  16. Catriona

Totally. I'm cured.[/QUOTE]
    Of trusting politicians? If we don't laugh, we'd not stop crying.

17. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

The one thing we can do here is know where to apportion blame - fairly and squarely on the government and managers.
    Going to see a Physio once a week for 6 weeks at a time seems to be a standard now for physical conditions.
    What happens if you were to go privately with no money issues, and listen to the physio is a different kettle of fish.

When I was training, we were taught something that would make the government crap their pants. The basics of treating physical problems were to treat it 3 times a day with ultrasound - twice a day for manual therapy, for as long as it takes.

Mental health is no different - chuck the resources at it, especially people, and the issues resolve in a far shorter time than otherwise.
    We know this can't happen, but putting appointments off for months or more, and then limiting what treatments are used, the number of sessions approved and the follow ups is, excuse the pun, bloody madness.

Zou and Catriona like this.
  18. Catriona

Thank you for understanding I wasn't getting at the physiotherapists or other people trying to give treatment leading to a cure.
    What you were taught in training was exactly what I was getting at about the success of intensive treatment. It works. No doubt about it.

19. dream_police

20. dream_police

TBH unless I get an appointment soon, I will take advice I have received on this forum from Mike and Dan and go private.

Catriona likes this.