1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I remember quire a few years ago in Seefeld Austria, we left the hotel after breakfast one morning just as workmen were closing off the road. We returned late afternoon to find that the whole length of road (100-200 metres) had been totally stripped, resurfaced and reopened.

zx9r likes this.
  2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Did they not have any spare tarmac to bring home to do your drive:rolleyes::)

3. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

They did, but the excess baggage fee scuppered that idea.

spinno likes this.
  4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

In Seefeld, road safety seems to be taken pretty seriously. Bicycle rider training is undertaken by the local Polizei...

Seefeld Politzei teaching cycling road safety P9150038.JPG

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  5. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I absolutely hate so-called smartphones ... I've just received a clinical letter from the NHS, which requires my email address, my password and the 6-digit passcode which is sent to my mobile phone. I open the email on my PC, because it's far easier and more convenient to read on that. Because I'm reading this document on that, it doesn't recognise that device, so I have to go through their security system on my mobile ... I then have to switch between Gmail and my phone to read the passcode they have sent me, and then go back to Gmail to enter the code they've sent me.

Much wailing and gnashing of teeth follows, as my short-term memory can't cope with more than 4 digits at a time, so I have to write it down. Then there's the misery of opening up Gmail again, (but I've forgotten I was originally using Gmail!) to enter the number, by which time and smartphones don't (as far as I am aware) let you have 2 apps open at the same time so you can rapidly switch between them.

Remembering such a routine, (if one exists) would mean having to use that process at least 5 - 6 times consecutively before it gets embedded in my memory and probably also put a 'Sticky' on my PC to remind me what I did! By the time I've got the passcode and re-opened Gmail on my smartphone, the passcode thas timed out so I then have to get them to send me another one ... I still haven't been able to open this letter ....

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I think smartphones keep all opened apps running in the background and you can swap between them. On my iphone 4 (old by modern standards) a double tap on the control button (one tap would close the open window) shows all open apps and I can choose between them.

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I am concerned about the lack of security on smartphones. An easily remembered 4 digit number or an easily faked finger print.

8. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

The hospital has also told me I could post to them a picture of my face, and use that as proof of who I am, but I don't have a camera on my PC's screen, plus they'll probably only allow you to use your smartphone's camera. They have NOT explained how the hell I'm supposed to take this image and send it to them ...

Ok, so I'm smartphone illiterate because I much prefer using a landline phone and a PC, whilst the smartphone is used when I'm out and about, with the answerphone switched on, which really pees-off call centres who after 2 rings, kill their calls to me!

9. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

how do you fake the finger print?

MJB and Zou like this.
  10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Beat me to it. Still time to get the kettle on whilst he thinks of a reply. ;)

WillieJ likes this.
  11. PeteRob

I can’t hear on a phone or landline so I use skype with a conference speaker phone. No camera on my PC. I prefer email.

12. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Ooh...ooh...

I saw James Bond do this once...

:D

Zou likes this.
  13. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Easier just to cut off the finger when you are mugging the victim for the phone - brought to you by - Neds are us. ;)

Learning likes this.
  14. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Melted gummy bears over a real finger, with a lifted print used to be favourite

15. WillieJ

Sam, you are experiencing what is going to come to a lot of us - AKA the ones who do not kick it before technology changes faster than we want to/can. More and more, other than dealing with HMG, one's mobile phone and its number and our phone's identification of ourselves is more important than our National Insurance Number. Not actually sure how much value HMG puts on NIs anymore I had to get a passport that I never expect to use for travel simply to deal with HMG.
    Mobile phones can keep multiple apps open which can be easilly switched between and increasingly "security code" numbers are accompanied by a "confirm" virtual button rather than having to remember/write down and manually insert. I sympathise and do not look forward to future techi developments but smart phone ID is, I am afraid, here to stay.
    I speak as someone who recently changed his phone and had to spend a fair bit of time with new phone and windows computer - both receiving code numbers - to get everything working. FWIW it turned out to be less of a nightmare than I had been expecting. I had had the old phoner for 5 years.
    W

16. WillieJ

I prefer my option.
    Buying a packet of Gummy Bears would be far too embarassing.

AndyTake2 likes this.
  17. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

A couple of days ago, Freeview re-arranged things - well, the government wants to flog off the frequencies used by one of the multiplexes for 5g. Actually, they did it two days running, so I had to re-tune twice.

Not only that, but a few channels have gone. Freesport, halfway through the Championship League Snooker! And TogetherTV has turned into one of those channels that needs an internet link to work. Apart from in the morning, 3am to 7am. When it it broadcasts teleshopping rubbish! So that's my daily dose of Garden Rescue gone!

Oh, and one of the That's! music channels is now available in Manchester only. Huh?

Grrr! :mad:

18. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

If you haven't opted out you should get a copy letter in the post. If you don't then ask for a hard copy in future.

19. PeteRob

That explains why the TV said "program map has changed" and offered to retune itself. Then did it next day too. I can't say that I noticed what happened to the channels first time round. I'd assumed a fault when it asked again.

20. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Friend of mine just got a letter from the local council. She's on benefits so doesn't pay council tax herself but she qualifies for the £150 payout. Letter gave her a link to a form online....When she doesn't have a smartphone or an internet connection (or for that matter any idea how to use a computer)..

It said if she didn't fill the online form in within 10 days of the date on the letter (posted 2nd class) then the council would put the money towards her council tax bill, which she doesn't pay so the council would just pocket the money luckily she has me to fill the form in but I do wonder how many people lost out because of not having internet access