1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Nov 20, 2016.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

My mother has much the same problem - someone takes a box of eggs and leaves their small change instead of the correct money. Presumably it's OK to fob a charity (air ambulance in her case) off with your shrapnel...

2. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Just get them to put a 'smile for the camera' sign up.
    They'll be looking around and not see it, but are less likely to rob.

WillieJ likes this.
  3. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Evri....I needed some stuff returned to a company. Said company booked them for Saturday, no sign of them so I let the company know and suggested today as I was working yesterday
    Last night my local courier calls me asking where I was as he'd been sent to collect the stuff I said I booked it for tomorrow and would appreciate if it could be lunchtime
    About 1.05 they rang my bell, wasn't the usual guy who knows I have to get downstairs but someone who on the grounds I wasn't actually standing the other side of the door when she rang the bell just buggered off even though if she bothered to look through the windows in the door she would have seen me coming down the stairs
    Didn't hear anything but later on I got an email saying they'd tried to collect at 17.15 (I had the day off so if they had called me I could have been in) but as this is the 3rd attempt they will not try again so I should take the items to the post office
    They're both too heavy for me to carry to the post office if they weren't I would have done that in the first place!!!!

4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Looks like I wasn't the only one they angered...

Attached Files:

5. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

So I emailed the company about Evri not coming back after yesterday. They replied they were arranging a courier to collect in the next 2 days I replied I'd be at work could it be done Saturday?
    They phoned me this morning to confirm they would organise Evri for Saturday....
    Half an hour later Evri email me to say they would come between 5-7 tonight so of course just after 6 the courier phones me and I have to explain I told the company not to send him round until Saturday but of course they didn't think to communicate this to Evri!

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I see that nobody has yet managed to persuade the government that allowing agency staff to replace striking workers isn't workable.

The only way to get agency staff to replace striking employees is to have them fully trained before the strike but that can't be done if they are actually employed elsewhere prior to the strike. Alternatively it might be possible to get former employees to fill in, same problem though as processes and procedures will have changed since said employees left; why did they leave in the first place, would they want to come back?

Then there is a recency requirement, if I went back I would need six months under supervision to requalify (and probably to retake courses). During that time, let's say a year to be back up to speed, I would of course be an employee and join a union...*

*OK I was in a management grade when I retired but you get the point.

In industries like transport every worker has a part to play in the safety of the operation, yes cleaners because debris can obstruct controls. You can't just take a spotty teenager off the streets and expect them to do the job of a trained worker the next day. It took four years with us in 1971 and by the end we were neither spotty or teenagers.

From what I have read the rail strikers have valid points:
    Reducing staff would affect safety, of course it would because removing a pair of eyes is always dangerous.
    Pensions are poor, yes and governments from the Blair/Brown years onwards have degraded the UK's pension system significantly. Recent legislation to mandate workplace pensions has helped, but we can't be sure because it hasn't been running long enough. What would help would be to reverse the Brown tax on pension scheme income from investments and an increase in the pre-tax pension pot from the current £1,000,000.
    Pay, the boss of network rail apparently, according to the Mirror, earns 18 times what the average rail worker is paid, and he isn't the worst in this respect. I have no problem with the boss being well paid but not at the expense of the staff.

Ditch this stupid idea BJ before it kills somebody.

steveandthedogs and AndyTake2 like this.
  7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

According to a union leader I heard on Radio 4 (Broadcasting House last Sunday, iirc) it would take up to 9 months to train agency workers to do the safety critical jobs (drivers, signal workers) and that is trained agency workers.

ETA: Just checked - it was Mick Lynch, who was coherent and reasonable. Which puts him two ahead of certain politicians.

Zou and steveandthedogs like this.
  8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Not too far off my 12 months then. In my case a type course would take 12 weeks, then a further 26 weeks supervised but I would also need refresher training on systems, probably another four weeks, alleviated by the fact that I wrote some of the procedures that are still in use. There would also be 20 days annual leave to fit in somewhere.

Unions rarely give 12 months notice of a strike and in any case no employer is going to invest in training courses for agency staff without some form of bond, leave before the end of your contract and you pay, pro rata, for the training. Assuming that is legal. Additionally these agency workers, in my industry they are probably already being snapped up to cover the gaps created by early retirements over the past two years. Otherwise they were made redundant, are such people likely to go back? I very much doubt it.

9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Ever since that last Kindle upgrade my battery life has all but disappeared! Must be all those darned pictures of books now stored?

10. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

A bit like the Apple trick of making older iPhones redundant by software updates?

Catriona likes this.
  11. Bazarchie

Supreme Court ruling expands US gun rights

Really?

12. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

The lunatics really have taken over the asylum :mad:

13. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

So far as the North American colonies are concerned, they started doing that around 1770... :p

14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I think you are right. The last upgrade has made navigation a right PITA and the drain on the battery is frightening.
    It makes me laugh when they say your battery should last weeks. Makes sense only if you only read for half an hour a day apparently.

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

A Kindle battery could only last for weeks if it was used for an hour a day. I don’t read like that, I can happily read for hours on end, I was lucky to get two days. My iPad does better than my Kindle.

Catriona likes this.
  16. Bazarchie

I have given up on my Kindle and like Geoff use my iPad.

Catriona likes this.
  17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

A previous Apple iPad OS upgrade added an emoji keyboard which meant that if one typed, say, battery a battery emoji was one of the suggested predictions. This I found annoying but this evening I found a that all I needed to do was turn off the emoji keyboard.

Mental health is important and such minor annoyances add up, I have no problem with Apple adding the option but turning it on by default isn’t acceptable.

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Actually they throttled the battery on older iPhones, I wonder if the iPhone 8 is on the list, my battery seems to drop like a stone from around 60%..

19. Bazarchie

My work phone is an iPhone 7. I haven’t noticed any battery deterioration but I don’t use it very often given Teams on Microsoft.

20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

SCOTUS